Board logo

What to build
DIY Si - 26/10/09 at 04:42 PM

Evening all.
I'm in a bit of a quandary and seek some guidance. My mini shell is departing on Wednesday, the Indy is going back together nicely and the garage will therefore soon be empty and tidy. Empty apart from my workbench and the Alfa V6 that I have intentions of using.
Only thing is, I'm no sure what to put it in. I'm quite tempted by the idea of the Haynes single seater, but the book might not be out for a while yet. I also realised the other day that I have never driven a single seater, and that maybe a 220-230 bhp V6 engined car is not the best first one to have. I did start making a locost a few years ago, but the ex got fed up of the build time and told me to go buy one. But the hankering to make something is back and needs fulfilling.
So what do you lot reckon? What would you do if you had a fair bit of spare time, no huge chunk of cash to buy a kit and maybe a few hundred a month to play with?

speedyxjs - 26/10/09 at 04:52 PM

Locost

theconrodkid - 26/10/09 at 04:59 PM

something mid engined

omega0684 - 26/10/09 at 05:07 PM

Fury!

morcus - 26/10/09 at 05:11 PM

another vote for something mid engined, I would have thought an Alfa V6 better suited for mid mounting than front.

zilspeed - 26/10/09 at 05:30 PM

Build a mid engined car along the lines of an MK middy or a riot.
Then once you're used to that, build a single seater.

iscmatt - 26/10/09 at 05:31 PM

single seater - you must love them, theres one in your avatar

dinosaurjuice - 26/10/09 at 05:31 PM

The MEV sonic7 is now available in 'modules' if money is tight. mid engined and very

liam.mccaffrey - 26/10/09 at 05:33 PM

build one of these

[Edited on 26/10/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

theconrodkid - 26/10/09 at 05:46 PM

you want one of these http://www.midlana.com/index.html

tegwin - 26/10/09 at 05:49 PM

Why not buy a classic (tax exempt) TVR (M series would be best!... Its a space frame chassis with IRS)

And then strip it right down to bare chassis, remove the antique engine and fit something newer.... I fancied a BMW straight 6.. or a supra engine...

And then rebuild into a kind of sleeper...

I love mine!

DIY Si - 26/10/09 at 05:51 PM

Oh, shoudl've said that I would prefer to have the V6 in north-south lay out. It may be childish, but I want the car to rock side to side when I blip the throttle.
Also, the classic TVR idea had crossed my mind (along with many other classic car sleepers), but I'm 6'3" and won't fit in many of them.

Liam, what is that in the pic? Much coolness, although I fear beyond what I could manage.

StevieB - 26/10/09 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
build one of these

[Edited on 26/10/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Now that I like - what is it?

zilspeed - 26/10/09 at 06:02 PM

It's a Westfield

DIY Si - 26/10/09 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
It's a Westfield

Really?! Got any more info on it?

mark chandler - 26/10/09 at 06:13 PM

SpeedyXJS has the right idea, something based upon an old XJ40 while they are still cheap.

For myself I,m planning some like the picture below, parts such as wire wheels, spined hubs etc are still pretty cheap on Ebay, I got 7 x DB5 wheels for £250, 72splines is jaguar standard and this stuff is still floating about a reasonable prices even new.

Frame will be 2" CDS ladder on the ground with 1" tube for upper works.

Jags are already double wishbone so mechanically all ready made for you.

5 speed manual boxes (Getrag) come up for £300 - £400 make sure you get the clutch and prop, later cars are the stronger ones so good for 500bhp, v12 XJS's has LSD's as standard. Rescued attachment allard_j2.jpeg
Rescued attachment allard_j2.jpeg

tegwin - 26/10/09 at 06:37 PM

My father is 6'4" and fits in my TVR M!

I took out the fabric sunroof and glued the head liner straight to the inside of the roof to give enough head room...

Leg room... theres too much!

Lightning - 26/10/09 at 07:50 PM

My vote is for the spire. Paul is a great guy. Or failing that buy my TVR Chimaera.

DIY Si - 26/10/09 at 07:54 PM

Something like that green car would be very nice, but the bodywork is well beyond what I can do.

morcus - 26/10/09 at 08:46 PM

I've seen that red car in magazines and I've a feeling its the first westfield and that it lives in northern ireland

StevieB - 26/10/09 at 09:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I've seen that red car in magazines and I've a feeling its the first westfield and that it lives in northern ireland

The first Westfield was a Lotus 11 replica.

If it's westy based, it looks like a shortened chassis with bespoke bodywork. All in all, I like it a lot!

morcus - 26/10/09 at 09:30 PM

Its a westfield SS1.

liam.mccaffrey - 26/10/09 at 11:08 PM

to all

as there has been a bit of interest in my red car I'll start another thread about it

morcus - 27/10/09 at 12:25 AM

It is an SS1 though isn't it?

liam.mccaffrey - 27/10/09 at 01:45 PM

the bodywork is, everything else is custom

thats not my car by the way, I own the bodywork and original moulds and am building everything else myself.

Ninehigh - 29/10/09 at 09:29 PM

How much faster would that engine be in a single-seater compared to where it was before (the locost I presume)?

DIY Si - 30/10/09 at 07:08 PM

The engine hasn't been in anything as yet, other than the Alfa I pulled it from. By the time I've rebuilt/tuned it a bit, it should have 230hp or so if all works out. Which is why I feel it may be a bit much for my first single seater.