Board logo

tyre presure
dunk3 - 30/3/10 at 04:06 PM

Hi all, what tyre presure should i be putting in my new wheel & tyres, 195/50/15 , these will be going on a Mk indy. cheers

flak monkey - 30/3/10 at 04:07 PM

Start with 18psi per corner and see what its like.

whitestu - 30/3/10 at 04:11 PM

I'm running about 16 on mine [same size tyres].

Stu

deanwelch - 30/3/10 at 04:25 PM

running 18 psi

graememk - 30/3/10 at 04:27 PM

i drive back from stoneleigh last year with a flat front and didnt even notice as the cars so light.

but i try to run 18/20

coozer - 30/3/10 at 04:29 PM

16 at the back and 14 fronts for me.

perksy - 30/3/10 at 05:41 PM

Run either 18 or 20 psi in mine

dunk3 - 30/3/10 at 07:06 PM

thanks for your replies, will try 18psi and see how it handles.

craig1410 - 30/3/10 at 07:23 PM

I run 18 psi front and back on my 850Kg V8 powered seven. I read somewhere that it is unsafe to go below 15psi as there is a risk of the tyre coming off the rim below that level I think.

Another thing I read about was to draw a chalk or crayon line across the tread and then drive around and check the line every so often. If it wears away in the middle first then the pressure is too high. Run the highest pressure that still gives even wear on the chalk line but don't go below 15psi.

One last thing - in wet weather you might want to raise the pressure 3 psi or so to delay the point of aquaplaning. It does this by increasing the pressure in the centre of the tread which helps to push water outwards rather than trapping it under the tread.

Remember to check pressures when completely stone cold.

HTH,
Craig.

craig1410 - 30/3/10 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dunk3
thanks for your replies, will try 18psi and see how it handles.

Try a few different pressures to get a feel for the change. Try extremes first (eg. 15psi front, 20psi rear) then swap them round to 20psi front, 15psi rear). Then try to find the best compromise with some help from the chalk line method described above.

procomp - 31/3/10 at 09:10 PM

Post removed

[Edited on 1-4-10 by Fozzie]

craig1410 - 31/3/10 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
LOL all the advice in the world on tyre pressures and yet no one bothered to asked WHAT tyres he was running.

Lemmings come to mind.

Matt

195/50 15 it says in the initial post. That's all the information required to get a sensible starting point for the vast majority of cases. I think we are all assuming he is using an all season road tyre.

I don't think there is any need to be condescending...

[Edited on 31/3/2010 by craig1410]

procomp - 31/3/10 at 10:30 PM

Post removed

craig1410 - 31/3/10 at 10:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
So no idea of the actual basic facts just assumptions. !!!

Like i say Lemmings come to mind.

Maybe more a case of being on the same page as the OP and trying to be helpful rather than trying to over-complicate a simple question.

I find it interesting that you gave similar advice on your own forum here

quote:

However most find that a cold pressure of around 16-20 Psi works well.

Does that make you a Lemming too... LOL

Jon Ison - 1/4/10 at 07:38 AM

I have to say Matt Craig as a very valid point especially regarding the link above, your advice is no different to any of the above in fact it looks like they have all copied and pasted your own advice.

Must admit it made me cringe with embarrassment for you when I 1st read it, decided not to reply but as Craig as thought I would share with you how appeared to come over to me to.

There's no doubting your technical ability but as an outsider looking in your response did you no favours whatsoever, your not dealing with SAM68 types here, just a fellow enthusiast who wanted a ball park starting figure for tyre pressure.

[Edited on 1/4/10 by Jon Ison]

iank - 1/4/10 at 10:43 AM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=133135

Jon Ison - 1/4/10 at 11:16 AM

That explains it all, apologies to Matt if your able to read this.

Cant ChrisW or Fozzie step in ?

Fozzie - 1/4/10 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
That explains it all, apologies to Matt if your able to read this.

Cant ChrisW or Fozzie step in ?

In hand ..... but not by anyone u2u'ing me, or emailing me, I might add.....

Matt managed to contact me off forum, and another very kind LB'er called me to alert to the problem...... it was already in hand...but thanks.....

Fozzie

craig1410 - 1/4/10 at 12:15 PM

Just seen this just now.

I don't know Matt so I wasn't sure if his (apparent) posts were typical of his sense of humour or whether he had just had a bad day and was letting off steam or whatever. Either way I felt it necessary to make my feelings known.

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't him who made the posts although whoever did make them was quite clever about it and was able to make it look pretty convincing. Hopefully once Matt regains access he can come on the forum and clear things up. I'll put my handbag away now...

Maybe a good time for all of us to think about changing our passwords...

Cheers,
Craig.

Fozzie - 1/4/10 at 02:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
......Maybe a good time for all of us to think about changing our passwords...

Cheers,
Craig.

Craig, the 'hijack' was nothing to do with the LocostBuilders site ....

But I would advise that all those of you who share a computer without having your own log-ins to that computer, and save your passwords on the insecure computer, so that any user of the computer can access that data, is to have a re-think......

Fozzie