Board logo

Quite nervous...
flak monkey - 10/5/10 at 08:26 PM

...this time next week the car will have been on the rollers if all goes to plan and I will know what sort of power I have under my right foot...

Its the first time I have ever put a car on a rolling road for a full set up. And its going to take 4-5 hours all told.

Its booked in at ATspeed who have been very helpful via email already with all my stupid Omex set up questions! They also came recommended by Omex themselve, which was definately a deal clincher there.

Fingers crossed I make it the 100mile journey there and the car doesnt conk out again after 30miles.

Been watching vids of rolling roads online - all looks a little daunting. But hey..there we go.

Been working hard on getting it ready (as best I can) - sorted the gearbox oil leak, now only have a very minor drip from a pinhole somewhere on the sump. Checked all the fluids and tyre pressures too.

I guess what I am most concerned about is the belt slipping on the crank pulley since I have changed it for a yet smaller one, so will be taking a larger supercharger pulley with me which I know the belt doesnt slip on. The sums suggest I should see around 15psi of boost now, there abouts....

I also have a set of spare spark plugs and drive belt on order, a boot literally full of tools (might help the wheels grip the rollers too ) and all manor of fluids for topping up should anything happen.

Anything else I should worry about?

daniel mason - 10/5/10 at 08:37 PM

your wallet! lol. will be a day to enjoy rather than worry about

davidinhull - 10/5/10 at 08:45 PM

yes
enjoy, but I was very nervous when my car was screaming just about on the rev limiter (or so it seemed from standing near it) and starting to look like it was skipping around on the rollers! I had to leave the room - and this was a car I'd not put together myself so had japanese reliability to stop it falling to bits
I'm sure it will be fine

mark chandler - 10/5/10 at 08:52 PM

Some old tyres for the rear, save your nice ones for the road.

bi22le - 10/5/10 at 08:53 PM

A video camera!

We need videos!

Be prepared to watch somebody rag the granny out of your car, they are always put to the limit.

You know more about this stuff than me, but I do go down the local rolling road every now and then.

Good luck and dont get your hopes up, the chances are it wont be a perfect day. As long as your happy, we are happy!

JoelP - 10/5/10 at 08:54 PM

make sure its not one of those cowboy outfits that doesnt strap the cars down properly. I went somewhere that just asked me to stand on the back, with nowt more than a wedge under the front wheels.

contaminated - 10/5/10 at 09:15 PM

I had my first time recently. If I'm honest I didn't really enjoy it until the pub afterwards! As one of the posts above, I couldn't watch - in fact you can see me make a sharp exit at 4 mins and 6 seconds here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFRyaPlWV4I

[Edited on 10/5/10 by contaminated]

matt.c - 10/5/10 at 09:28 PM

Do you want me to give it a pre rollers shake down for you? Just drop off the keys and go shopping for an hour or so. I will let you know if i need the AA.

Also take a big fire extinguisher with you. At worst you could save it before anything really bad happens.

[Edited on 10/5/10 by matt.c]

richard - 10/5/10 at 09:43 PM

Been to At Speed recently you will be fine great guys. Took into account the distractions they had during the hours we were on the rollers and even when there was two working on car at same time we got charged very reasonably. got a good result from the car as well, but it was only a 2.0 pinto.
Richard.

franky - 10/5/10 at 09:53 PM

Never had a car on the rollers but plenty of bikes! As long as youre happy with the engine build then there's nothing to worry about, it'll be a great day out. Just make sure you've a full tank of fuel

franky - 10/5/10 at 09:54 PM

Never had a car on the rollers but plenty of bikes! As long as youre happy with the engine build then there's nothing to worry about, it'll be a great day out. Just make sure you've a full tank of fuel

Dangle_kt - 10/5/10 at 10:13 PM

is your cooling working well?

That would be my only concern really.

kj - 11/5/10 at 06:53 AM

ashg had his set up at that place it was in complete kit car mag, you could always drop him a u2u.

flak monkey - 11/5/10 at 06:57 AM

Cooling system is fine, certainly no worries so far.

Its had plenty of stick on the road when it was running megasquirt without any major problems other than belt slip before I changed the tensioner. Once it was changed to a manual one it no longer slipped with the old SC pulley, but I havent tried it out with the current one

Thankfully there is a petrol station less than 0.5mile away so i'll be able to fill it up.

I'll make sure I pack a camera too.

jeffw - 11/5/10 at 12:05 PM

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine

boggle - 11/5/10 at 05:46 PM

its great fun.....

it was awesome when pe done the last scoob i had....every power run it hit the limiter and popped out some massive flames....

jeffw - 12/5/10 at 05:05 AM

[Edited on 12/5/10 by jeffw]

flak monkey - 16/5/10 at 04:41 PM

Well its the big day tomorrow!

Took the car out for a longish run yesterday to tweak the cruisin a little more and get it really hot (sitting in traffic) with no problems. I had to try this as it was these conditions it started playing up in with the MS.

Checked over everything I can think of, just down to luck of the day now!

Wish me luck!

bimbleuk - 16/5/10 at 05:03 PM

Hi,

I've had many powers runs and hours of mapping on my cars. The power runs are only brief and are in a controlled environment. Just compare that to how you drive on the road when your ragging the arse off it!

The main disadvantage to rolling roads are the temps as the air flow is much less. So a good measure of a dyno is the cooling setup. Not some silly little leaf blower vaguely pointed at the radiator.

Don't worry about wear on the tyres but do pump them up them up to reduce loses. On a typical rolling road with two rollers per wheel the contact patch is smaller and compresses the side walls due to the strapping.

Again due to higher inlet temps and heat soak it would be good to fill up with 98/99 octane fuel and also possibly consider octane booster. If however the car is being mapped then use the fuel you will be buying at the pumps.