Board logo

free steel - how do I swage it to stop it popping?
smart51 - 23/6/10 at 02:09 PM

Work have decided to clear out an old building and have told us to take whatever furniture we want. I'm looking for some steel for my floor and spotted a row of large metal cupboards. One of which had a back made from 0.75mm steel in one piece which is more than big enough. Half an hour later, I've drilled out the rivets and have all the thin sheet steel I need, all for a small donation to a local charity.

So how do I swage it to stop it popping? The floor of my single seater will only be 600mm wide but I think I still need a couple of X creases in it to hold it in shape.

turbodisplay - 23/6/10 at 02:29 PM

What about spot welding some angle to the surfacr of the steel.

Darren

coozer - 23/6/10 at 02:46 PM

How about routing a 1" circle out of a sheet of MDF and using a 1" piece of dowel and a big hammer (or press) to whack the living day lights out of it?

StrikerChris - 23/6/10 at 02:50 PM

Friend of mine made a tool from an rsj,couple of old gears and an electric wheel chair motor,ideal really but to be honest if this is all you need doing it shouldn't cost much through the back door of an engineering firm,should only take 10 mins,and would take you a lot longer with a brick chisel and some wood!