Board logo

Nyloc or plain nut and spring washer for MSVA
smart51 - 13/7/10 at 11:32 AM

Do I need nylocs to keep the MSVA man happy or can I use plain nuts and sprung (spiral) washers? Nuts and washers can be reused if they have to be taken off for some reason.

blakep82 - 13/7/10 at 11:34 AM

i think both should be fine, but i'd go nyloc myself

mad4x4 - 13/7/10 at 11:43 AM

Depends - Nylock or Nut and Spring washer should be ok. However different application require different technology's

A nyloc nut is technically a 1 use Item so it should be replaced every time. However a Nut and Spring or antishake washer can be used many times.

So if you need to take something a part a lot a spring washer & nut is better, but not always best or most practical. Also I wouldn;t use nylocs on the exhaust or anything that gets very hot.

smart51 - 13/7/10 at 11:48 AM

My first car had nylocs everywhere and it had to be taken apart to be fixed many times. I hated them because they need to be turned every millimetre of the way and always seemed to be located somewhere inaccessible. With a plain nut, you loosen them off with the spanner then spin them with your finger tips.

Long hours spent with arms outstretched deep into the engine bay turning a ratchet spanner one click at a time didn't help my fondness for the nylon insert. And you have to keep replacing them.

blakep82 - 13/7/10 at 11:52 AM

well, what i'm doing is using plain nuts while i'm building, but when it comes to the final assembly (eventually ) i'll put everything together with nylocs. by that time, i shouldn't have to take it all apart again

mgmiller - 13/7/10 at 12:05 PM

loctite is also an acceptable

02GF74 - 13/7/10 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
well, what i'm doing is using plain nuts while i'm building, but when it comes to the final assembly (eventually ) i'll put everything together with nylocs. by that time, i shouldn't have to take it all apart again

but you know you will have to ... and spring washers are cheaper and re-usable.

Bluemoon - 13/7/10 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

but in my experience spring washers are not as effective.. Nyloc's, loctite (the correct grade for the job as well) or wire locking, or split pins i.e. somthing positive would be my ideal for anything mission critical.

You can re-use nylocs twice the problem is how can you know how many times they have been used, thus safer to replace..

iank - 13/7/10 at 02:31 PM

Spring washers have got a pretty poor press here over the years.
The Nord-lock style ones are apparently much more effective.
http://www.nord-lock.com/

RS Components sell them, but they are quite expensive compared to nylocks - there are probably cheaper sources.
RS Link

AndyGT - 13/7/10 at 05:56 PM

nylocs have only have "about half" the tensile strength of a normal nut too as "half" of the threads are nylon not metal !!!

Just my 2 pen'eth

scootz - 13/7/10 at 06:01 PM

I don't think the MSVA manual is that specific... as long as they're secure, then that's about all the guidance given.

SteveWalker - 13/7/10 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

but in my experience spring washers are not as effective.. Nyloc's, loctite (the correct grade for the job as well) or wire locking, or split pins i.e. somthing positive would be my ideal for anything mission critical.

You can re-use nylocs twice the problem is how can you know how many times they have been used, thus safer to replace..

We had a company come in last week with a different idea. Take a look at http://www.nord-lock.com (they're nothing to do with me!) They are two serrated washers bonded together with a slightly compressible material.

mad4x4 - 13/7/10 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
nylocs have only have "about half" the tensile strength of a normal nut too as "half" of the threads are nylon not metal !!!

Just my 2 pen'eth

You will find that a good nyloc nut is the thicker than the equivilent Normal nut - so we need to pass this theory to Mythbusters....... My 2 pen'eth