Board logo

Can anyone weld very thin ally?
sdh2903 - 24/8/10 at 11:56 AM

Hi all, I have an R1 radiator that i would like to use, however the bottom out let is going to interfere with the steering rack. I was wondering if anyone on here has the expertise to turn the outlet 180 degrees?

Its made of very thin ally.

I've been to a couple of rad repair places locally but either they dont want the work or it aint worth the hassle but i've been quoted some unbeleivable prices!

Would anyone be able to do this for me? Obviously beer tokens will be offered.

If not then will just head down the polo route.

Cheers
Steve

Image deleted by owner

Strontium Dog - 24/8/10 at 12:11 PM

If you can't find anyone local to do it and you don't mind posting it I'll do it for you if you are stuck. Polo rads are only £29.50 delivered from the below link mind!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290457024630&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Humbug - 24/8/10 at 12:21 PM

I can't quite tell from the angle of the photo if ther's enough room but, failing any other solution, could you cut off the tube so it just sticks straight out, reflare the end, then use a silicon elbow to get it going in the right direction?

[Edited on 24.08.2010 by Humbug]

sdh2903 - 24/8/10 at 12:30 PM

The straight part of the elbow isnt really long enough to use, plus i'm not sure how it could be flared.

I have no probs in posting it at all.

I know the polo rad is cheap however the R1 rad has header tank etc plus the outlets are all correct size and at the end of the day specced to work with that engine.

02GF74 - 24/8/10 at 01:09 PM

be careful here.

aluminium has a low melting point and is a very good conductor of heat.

you will find that the pipes are TIG welded but the matrix is soldered (how else can all those ickle tubes be joined?)

what I am trying to say is that if you get someone to TIG an outlet, the above factors may result in the matix getting unsoldered and leaking.

you are best finding another solution.

mangogrooveworkshop - 24/8/10 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
The straight part of the elbow isnt really long enough to use, plus i'm not sure how it could be flared.

I have no probs in posting it at all.

I know the polo rad is cheap however the R1 rad has header tank etc plus the outlets are all correct size and at the end of the day specced to work with that engine.

home made flaring-beading made easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MwmDJuOGwU