Board logo

Intro and stuff
DH2 - 26/10/10 at 04:06 PM

Hello all.

I'm a newbie to LB, but not to kit cars having built a BEC Westfield in '02, and run it for 7 years. Sold that a year or so back, and have had a year off from car-fiddling, but clearly still have the bug. I've currently got an MG Midget in the garage for a recommissioning project, but have also just bought philw's Stylus RT.

That's the intro, onto the stuff.
It is currently running an X20XEV with some (as yet unconfirmed) modifications - Weber Alpha TBs & ECU, unknown ported head, EC2001(?) cams, red-top rods with ARP bolts. It is apparently giving somewhere around 190bhp. It is connected to an english axle via Manta/Getrag 5-speed, using Manta flywheel and clutch.

A couple of questions about this.

1. The top end is rattly, all the time, and not in a normal/healthy sounding way. I've not had chance to pull the cam cover to peer yet, but could it be the cam is too peaky for the hydraulic (I think) lifters? Or maybe just stuck/duff lifters? I also understand the oil pump and grade of oil can cause this? What would be a sane plan to try to resolve - I am thinking maybe stick some standard cams back in and see what it does, but that'll screw the mapping.

2. Longer term, I intend to swap the engine for something else. What would that spec of engine and drivetrain be worth? In both rattly and/or fixed state? (So I can work out how much is sensible to throw at an engine I'm not keeping)

Thanks in advance,
DH2

speedyxjs - 26/10/10 at 04:08 PM

Welcome to the madhouse

dave-69isit - 26/10/10 at 04:11 PM

welcome to the mad house where are u based

hearbear - 26/10/10 at 04:27 PM

Did you ever get in touch with Phil if not may still have his mobile number if you wish. Don't think he would mind.

George

TimC - 26/10/10 at 05:08 PM

Welcome.

I was looking at the pics on your site just yesterday. Nice looking car, if a little colourful. (Blue Seats, Red Hood?!)

DH2 - 26/10/10 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hearbear
Did you ever get in touch with Phil if not may still have his mobile number if you wish. Don't think he would mind.
George

Thanks George. I've U2U'd him on here too, so will give it a little time first, there's no major rush.

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
I was looking at the pics on your site just yesterday. Nice looking car, if a little colourful. (Blue Seats, Red Hood?!)

Hmmm we all hang around the same forums eh? Yes, colourful is one word for it. Not sure it is going to stay like that, but that decision is some way off yet.

DH2

blue2cv - 26/10/10 at 05:55 PM

Wynns do a really good hydraulic lifter additive, may be worth a go

Paul (Notts) - 26/10/10 at 06:48 PM

as above the wynns hydralic lifter stuff sorted out my rattles..

Paul

DH2 - 27/10/10 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv
Wynns do a really good hydraulic lifter additive, may be worth a go

Sounds like it might be worth a try. How does it work though?

Anyone any thoughts on what the engine and box might be worth? I'm struggling to find indicative values.

DH2

DH2 - 27/10/10 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DH2
Sounds like it might be worth a try. How does it work though?

To answer my own question, it seems you just add it to a warmed engine.
I'm thinking I might try an engine flush, then fresh oil, and see if that makes any difference. Then could try the lifter treatment, or it's time to pull the lifters out to clean/inspect/replace.

DH2