Board logo

Proban suits??
bitsilly - 28/10/10 at 05:16 PM

I am trying to find a size 60 race suit for track days.
I have looked in Dtweeks and have been given a good company that will make me a suit which might even fit!
Either way, a new suit costs around a couple of hundred upwards.
But Ebay has Proban ones, new, for like £75!
If I am unlucky enough to need the fire proof properties in a crash, then I don't think I'd feel comfortable in an Ebay outfit, but are they any good?

bitsilly - 28/10/10 at 05:17 PM

eg:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270650219204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

CNHSS1 - 28/10/10 at 05:40 PM

Proban is a coating to the fabric and wears off especially when cleaned.
Nomex is a fire resistant material which is what most race suits are made from.

Probans better than nothing, but they tend to be single layer like a boiler suit.

Proban is almost universally out of favour with any MSA motosport activities these days (not sure on autograss).

if you think you may need the benefits of a race suit, nomex is the way to go imho.

for brands that are less expensive than Tweeks offerings (not different quality though) try Lico as they are Sparco racesuits, but their sister brand name (sneaky way for Sparco to have 2 outlets in a country and not upset their exclusivity deals ), often same spec suit as sparco version is 25% cheaper. The FIA certification and coding stiched into the suits says Sparco and uses the sparco homologation numbers too.

also try Midgetman on Ten-Tenths, hes a manufacturer and purveyor of race wear.

CNH

macc man - 28/10/10 at 05:43 PM

AWS make proban marshall suits for use at all race cicuits, I have such a suit and the quality is excellent. If the race suit is of the same quality I should think it would be suitable for track day use. It would be advisable to purchase nomex underware and balaclava along with any suit to be effective in a fire situation.Just my opinion of course.

bitsilly - 28/10/10 at 07:18 PM

I've learned something today!
Cheers gents.