Board logo

Transporting car in a van
adampage - 15/6/04 at 11:39 AM

I need to move my rolling chassis MK GT1 from A to B on Friday.

It isn't driveable / towable yet (no brakes) so I need a trailer / van.

My question is, do you think I could use a Luton Van & taillift?

If I puch it backwards onto the taillift, most of the weight is on the back, so the lift will raise it up to the right height and I just need to 'stabilise' the front end (hanging in mid-air) until it's ready to just push into the back of the van. Then reverse the process at the other end.

Does this seem complete madness, or perfectly doable to you experts?

If it's madness, can you hire a towcar & trailer (no towbar on my car), or is the only way to hire a flatbed transporter (surely v.expensive)?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers,
Adam.

timf - 15/6/04 at 11:54 AM

adampage - 15/6/04 at 11:58 AM

But as the car is 'full bodywork' rather than a 7, I think there's a bit too much risk of shattered fibreglass everywhere.

Also I might not have enough people to provide the 'muscle' required to achieve such a feat!

Very impressive though!

locoboy - 15/6/04 at 12:42 PM

Tim,

how the hell did they get thet in there?

it it finished kit? engine and all etc etc?

timf - 15/6/04 at 12:58 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=4316
is the full story complete care for sva etc

mangogroove - 15/6/04 at 02:22 PM

JUS LYK !

JoelP - 15/6/04 at 04:13 PM

adam, firstly i would see if any friends have a towbar on their cars. Depending on the distance it might be economical to use a recovery company - make sure you tell them it isnt emergency recovery and that you wont pay silly money. Maybe ring round a few to see. Trailer hire is also possible.

Brooky - 15/6/04 at 05:53 PM

does it steer ?
could you try this ?tow bar

JoelP - 15/6/04 at 07:38 PM

im fairly sure that this would still be illegal, the towed car needs insurance, and probably tax too. might be wrong but there was a big thread on this a while ago.

macspeedy - 15/6/04 at 08:05 PM

if you had a solid link you can tow anything quad chassis the lot

David Jenkins - 16/6/04 at 07:41 AM

Basically, anything with wheels on the road has to be street legal...

David

adampage - 16/6/04 at 10:04 AM

I had thought of the tow bar, but it has no brakes, so would it be strong enough - I think i'd be scared to be sitting in it with no brakes!

Anyway, I've found a recovery firm who're pretty reasonable, modern trailer, flexible on time, etc.

Thanks again!

Adam.

ernie - 17/6/04 at 08:01 PM

Mercedes 4mtr long wheel base van will do it as any 4mtr flat back truck(any good hire company) if you have 3mtr or longer extention ladder you can use these as ramps with 3 persons to push

andyps - 18/6/04 at 03:49 PM

Someone who hillclimbs a locost transports it in the back of an LDV van, but had to extend it by about 1 foot to fit the car in and close the doors.