Board logo

Flapping seatbelt ends
David Jenkins - 27/2/11 at 10:45 AM

Has anyone worked out a way to stop the loose ends of 4-point harnesses flapping around in the wind and smacking you in the face? At the moment I just tuck the ends under the belt itself - except when I forget, or it comes adrift, and catches me unexpectedly as I zoom down the local dual-carriageway!

There must be a better way - some form of clip, or similar?

johny p - 27/2/11 at 10:48 AM

ha yeah had same trouble mate. velcro did the trick for me?

Ben_Copeland - 27/2/11 at 10:54 AM

My williams have velco to stick them down with

johny p - 27/2/11 at 11:01 AM

its i pain isnt it mate. i wont have that trouble for a while now as my prop threw off yesterday and ripped my water pump off, well fed up

alexg1965 - 27/2/11 at 11:01 AM

Or make a loop out a cable tie.

rusty nuts - 27/2/11 at 11:16 AM

Make some bands out of wide elastic , tried some self adhesive velcro but it didn't stick to the webbing

adithorp - 27/2/11 at 11:19 AM

I've got a couple of velcro ties around mine. I used ones for strapping skis together. You can get them from Snow+Rock, Decathlon, EllisBrigham, etc.

David Jenkins - 27/2/11 at 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've got a couple of velcro ties around mine. I used ones for strapping skis together. You can get them from Snow+Rock, Decathlon, EllisBrigham, etc.

Now there's a thought...
...and they're not very expensive either!

Looks like I'll be visiting sports shops early next week...

(I do like this site. )

coozer - 27/2/11 at 11:41 AM

I was sick of mine whacking my helmet or slapping me face...

Rolled the ends up and slipped a cable tie through them.

gingerprince - 27/2/11 at 11:56 AM

I just tuck mine through the buckle again - that way the flappy bit is behind.

adithorp - 27/2/11 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I was sick of mine whacking my helmet or slapping me face...

Thats a bit more information than I wanted to read on a Sunday morming

Benzine - 27/2/11 at 12:31 PM

HowardB - 27/2/11 at 12:34 PM

for all of those that use velcro, a word of caution.

Velcro used to be the method of choice in skydiving for securing harness tails, however after a while it causes the harness to weaken by plucking at the material and leaving it a little furry.

This might be a lot less of an issue on a safety harness in a car, but small loops of elastic are more kind to the harness.

hope this helps

Ben_Copeland - 27/2/11 at 12:46 PM

Velcro should be fitted to both pieces so there is no damage to belts..

MakeEverything - 27/2/11 at 01:01 PM

How about a tie pin?

David Jenkins - 27/2/11 at 02:23 PM

I've been having a few random thoughts about this, based on all of your thoughts & observations... watch this space! (or a space fairly close, anyway...).

Michael - 27/2/11 at 08:59 PM

I was going to buy the shoulder pads for seat belts and hiding the flapping bit under there.

I am still in final build stage so not had the experience of flappy belt but have thought about it.

scootz - 28/2/11 at 09:43 AM

Fold it on itself and wind some electrical tape around it... I haven't seen a harness colour yet that can't be matched with leccy tape!

David Jenkins - 3/3/11 at 03:59 PM

I think I've found a solution, courtesy of Lakeland kitchen shops!

I bought a packet of these food bag sealing clips for £1.69p (they come in all sizes, and I found a pack of 5 at 75mm width).

Then trimmed off the single rib on one side, and reduced the double ribs on the other (look at the green one in the photo).

I picked one yellow and 1 red - I may go mad and buy another pack to get 2 the same colour!

Seems to work well, but only time will tell if they will get 'tired' or break. They'll do for now though...