Board logo

Striker Zetec....Progress Update
Norfolkluegojnr - 30/3/11 at 09:01 PM

HI Guys,

Thought some of you might like to see some progress pics for my zetec swap in my striker. I do have a start up vid, but the camera won't give it up hopefully i'll get that up tomorrow.

Anyway, I bought the 98 registered striker last october with a CVH 1600 in:

After driving dads car (norfolkluego) i decided zetec power was the way to go. A suitable engine was sourced, I purchased mounts from Raw, and a new clutch, CT133 bearing and spigot bearing. I sourced an 1800 flywheel from a helpful locoster.

Engine going in:

Decided to reuse the Twin 45 carbs with an ebay sourced Dunnell inlet manifold, and the exhaust manifold with an adapter plate. I'll upgrade this at a later date when funds allow. Sump wise i bit the bullet and bought the Scholar racing kit. Thoroughly reccommended, it bolted on like meccano, and so far is perfect. For ignition, ive gone for trusty megajolt with a new kit from Trigger Wheels. An alternator kit for Retro Ford made the alternator process dead simple:

The carbs were a proper faff, I had to cut out the central bridge between ports 2 and 3. not nice hacking up your expensive mani with an angle grinder, so i dutifully passed that job on to the old man

It fired up first time after i recognised my stupid wiring error, and it idles ok considering i've not done anything with jets/maps etc yet:

Engine in with ancillaries attached:

And with exhaust manifold:

Off to Atspeed next week to have it all set up by people who know what they are doing, can't wait!

As always, thanks for the help and support guys, couldn't have done it without you.

comments please!

[Edited on 30/3/11 by Norfolkluegojnr]

big_wasa - 30/3/11 at 09:22 PM

looking good

bigdrew - 30/3/11 at 10:09 PM

Much improved!

2L is it?

How many progression holes do your Webers have? Some people have had trouble with big flat spots because apparently they don't like 16V engines. Information here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/18/viewthread.php?tid=132269

There seems to be mixed reports from people having engines with massive flat spots to other with barley noticeable ones so maybe it is a good set up which is more important?

daniel mason - 30/3/11 at 10:43 PM

looking good mate! let us know how you get on at the dyno!

ashg - 30/3/11 at 11:29 PM

I think from memory that Atspeed are Webber agents so i would be very surprised if they couldn't get the best out of them. they setup my old engine and didnt stop until it was perfect.

Norfolkluegojnr - 31/3/11 at 07:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigdrew
Much improved!

2L is it?

How many progression holes do your Webers have? Some people have had trouble with big flat spots because apparently they don't like 16V engines. Information here: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/18/viewthread.php?tid=132269

There seems to be mixed reports from people having engines with massive flat spots to other with barley noticeable ones so maybe it is a good set up which is more important?

They are three hole. I beleive with the right jetting, it can be tuned out, but if it doesn't feel right, I'll go down the bike carb route.

Can't beat the sound of webers though! on full chat it sounds like a Spitfire.

Norfolkluegojnr - 31/3/11 at 11:55 AM

few more pics:

old one out:

the hole:

Me in the hole :

on the hoist and going in:

bi22le - 31/3/11 at 12:05 PM

Well done. Halving the engine weight and doubling the power (well almost!).

I like the finish on the engine bay scuttle area that you have. Looks completly different to mine.

Good luck with the RR and hopefully see you about for a Striker thrashing!!

Biz

Norfolkluegojnr - 31/3/11 at 12:14 PM

Thanks Biz,

Its been a fun build. Everything went well for once!

Have you got any pics of the scuttle in your car? I just assumed that was standard. I'd love to get rid of the header tank - its a bit ugly. No idea what its from though to get a nice ally replacement.

Will keep you all posted on the RR results.

Ben

norfolkluego - 31/3/11 at 09:24 PM

Car looks great but

Flowery cushions? you've got flowery cushions in the garage

Get some cushions with bullets or tanks on, something like that