Board logo

Emissions...
AntonUK - 12/1/16 at 08:29 PM

Im trying to work out what emissions test my car will be subject to come MOT time. Its never been tested in my ownership.

Its a a factory built (was a Kit) Ginetta G27, registered in 1996. As far as I know i still have the original exhaust and manifold and it does not contain a CAT.

in the MOT manual is see the following text
“For emissions purposes only. Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998, are to be considered first used before 1 August 1975”

Which only carried the visual only inspection.

Thoughts anyone?

rusty nuts - 12/1/16 at 08:43 PM

If it has a Q regs then it's visible smoke ,if it has an age related plate then it will be tested to the emission requirements at the time of the registration . Might be worth checking your V5 registration document?

mackei23b - 12/1/16 at 10:16 PM

Have a look at mot testers online manual, some test centres will do a Q on a visual test, but the manual flowchart will refer to the age of the engine and registration date that determines emissions not a registration plate....

All the info here http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/730_newnoncat.pdf Looks like you are ok for visual....as far as I can see....

Cheers Ian

[Edited on 12/1/16 by mackei23b]

[Edited on 12/1/16 by mackei23b]

AntonUK - 12/1/16 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If it has a Q regs then it's visible smoke ,if it has an age related plate then it will be tested to the emission requirements at the time of the registration . Might be worth checking your V5 registration document?

I cant get access to my v5 atm unfortunately.

The car is on a 96 N plate. Which would mean a CAT test with 0.5% CO. Which cannot be correct due to the lack of CAT and it originally came on Weber DCOE's which I very much doubt would have passed that level of testing.

It sure is a minefield...

prawnabie - 13/1/16 at 10:26 AM

What is the age of the engine?

AntonUK - 13/1/16 at 06:10 PM

Engine age is unknown current engine (which was a direct replacement) was an eBay special.

gremlin1234 - 13/1/16 at 07:13 PM

does this page (the standard tax check page)
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
have any info on co2 emissions for it?
needs no. plate and make

AntonUK - 13/1/16 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
does this page (the standard tax check page)
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
have any info on co2 emissions for it?
needs no. plate and make

Unfortunately not

CO₂Emissions : Not available

alfas - 20/1/16 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

i thought the emission class in UK is determined by the engine age, not the reg.-date?

rusty nuts - 20/1/16 at 07:45 PM

If the presenter can't prove the age of the engine the tester will test using the vehicle registration date.

AntonUK - 23/3/16 at 01:34 PM

As closure to this.

I presented the car for MOT and took both my V5 and a printed copy of MOT emissions handbook pdf. Showed the MOT man and he accepted that its was visual only and passed me.

40inches - 23/3/16 at 02:42 PM

For future reference, for anyone who hasn't got one you can download the official manual here
Go to section 7.3 page 1 and the bottom left corner:

"Q plated vehicles
are to be treated as being first
used before 1 August 1975 for emissions purposes."

Which is good for me, as the V5 for the MK states that the emissions are tested as post 2002