Board logo

Caterham owners
Paul Formston - 10/4/05 at 08:07 PM

Hi Lads all Caterham owner aren't unfriendly I bought A caterham because I always wanted one from about twenty and if I had known what I know now I would of still bought one I tryed to do it on the cheep but you carn't unlike most Caterham owners I am An ordanary working Bloke and its nealy bankrupted me so if any of you Locost lads need help let me know Ive got A fuw bits for sale too Best Regards Paul

RogerM - 10/4/05 at 08:15 PM

Hope you have fun with the Caterham.

I have nothing against the car, it is afterall what most of use are trying to emulate. I could never justify that much cash on a car when there is an alternative (or several) for less (which is my justification for the Porsche... there is NO alternative!!)

My only problem with Caterham is that they do like to charge over the odds for stuff.

The car is great to drive, got good support and a good selection of standard specs. The last time I went to Mallory some of them almost kept up with me too

Have fun.

Paul Formston - 10/4/05 at 08:32 PM

Hi Roger thanks and you are right its cost me an arm and A leg but it went together very easy so I didn't loose interest I made A chassis my self once by buying the plans to the wooden locust and measuring them and making it out of 1 inch box steel I got it to a rolling chassis with a fiat twincam in it before loosing interest chees Paul

Peteff - 10/4/05 at 09:41 PM

Stick us some pictures up so we can see how it should be done. Promise I won't copy. If it's a self build you're in the right place. Keep the faith.

phelpsa - 10/4/05 at 09:55 PM

I think you've got us lota bit wrong....

we (well most of us) have nothing againsh caterhams or the average caterham owner, as Roger said, its caterham's prices that we are against.

Adam

Hellfire - 10/4/05 at 10:26 PM

As most Caterham's will soon be manufactured in China (?) probably only assembled here, it's a shame they have gone the Eastern Route - kind of takes the ethos away from the marque wouldn't you say?

I doubt it has been done to massively drive prices down - more to reduce pricing a little (therefore making them more competitive) and maximise profit. Afterall, they have done it for a reason. IMO it is because they are loosing market share to other manufacturers, who are catching them up in quality and service. I think they have priced themselves out of the market a little, therefore by being reactive by going the route they have gone, they may claw back some of that lost market share and increase profits more.

Caterham's are a lovely car only spoiled by a minority of owners (from what I've heard) who peer down on us mortals. Personally, I'd love one - but I wouldn't pay Monopoly money prices for one when I can stand proud knowing that our's is as good in build quality, performance and handling (personal taste) and cost a damned site less.

stephen_gusterson - 10/4/05 at 10:36 PM

its just a pecking order.

catervan owners thing locosts are a lower form of life in the same way that locost builders think robin hoods are crap.

who cares at the end of the day!

atb

steve

phelpsa - 10/4/05 at 10:42 PM

If we think robin hoods are crap, what are Locusts???

mookaloid - 10/4/05 at 10:55 PM

Personally, I'm not too keen on the way Catervan headlamps seem to stick up a lot

Otherwise they seem to be a well thought out but very expensive car.

I would really like to test one with the same engine as my MK so that I can see if there is really any great difference for your extra expense.

I'm sure the drivers are human like the rest of us

Cheers

mark

ps I do have 1 genuine Caterham component on my car BTW

Hellfire - 11/4/05 at 12:02 AM

I think all "kits cars" (Cateringvans included!) are like siblings - you usually think yours is the best looking, best performing and most thought out until you see one that is

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

RogerM - 11/4/05 at 10:12 AM

Fair play if you built it yourself mate, that's what this site is all about.

www.payovertheoddsandgetitbuiltforyou.co.uk ....... probably wouldn't get many hits would it

Chappo - 6/11/06 at 08:13 PM

Hi Lads I have change my login im Chappo now was Paul Formston, and I have had the Caterham 15 months now its been great fun and I have done 23,000 miles unlike some caterham owners I use mine, I hope none of you have been upset by any of the think caterhams are better than other 7 lot we are not all like that and I know how much work go's into building a Locost as My son has just built a westfield and it has taken him 12 months solid Regards Paul

DIY Si - 6/11/06 at 08:24 PM

Most folk on here will take you at face value, with maybe a little wee taking for good measure! Anyways, if you think you're car was expensive, my next plan will cost me £8.5K just to get a rolling shell!

Chappo - 6/11/06 at 08:45 PM

Hi I hope so because there seem to have been some nasty ness by certain caterham owners but that are the same with other caterham owners so I am trying to make amends good look with the new project what is it Regards Paul

DIY Si - 6/11/06 at 08:49 PM

In all fairness, most 7 owners can't really tell one kind from another. It e=is easier with caterhams though, as they are much smaller than most of the others.
Next project is one of these: Rescued attachment lolaspyder.jpg
Rescued attachment lolaspyder.jpg

DarrenW - 6/11/06 at 09:09 PM

A warm welcome from me Paul. i couldnt care less what people own, its the common interest in a great hobby that counts. 15 months and 23K miles!!! You will need to be surgically removed at that rate

If i had more cash id probs have a Caterham as well. From what ive seen they are a very well sorted vehicle and deservedly have a good reputation.

greggors84 - 6/11/06 at 09:13 PM

If I had the money I would have gone for a Caterham. Ive sat in a few and they feel spot on, really comfy driving position an spot on gear change.

Some people on here have spent more on a MNR than you would on a caterham.

Chappo - 6/11/06 at 09:14 PM

Ha Diy that looks the dog danglies mate it will be great on track days and thank you Darren Regards Paul

DIY Si - 6/11/06 at 09:21 PM

It should be good when finished. Just got to save up the ~£12K I'll need to build it. Assuming I do everything the cheap way. Or win the lottery.
You got any pics of your car?

Chappo - 6/11/06 at 09:23 PM

Ha Chris I didn't realy have the money im just an ordenary guy who has wanted a seven for years, and I tryed to make one by making a chassie from measuring the Locust plans and then welding inch box together rather than make it out of wood, but I got fed up and sold the rolling chassis so I was sat at my desk one day after having a drive of my mates caterham, with my credit card my hand my wife off thirty years had left me twelve month earlier and I just did it placed a deposit and went from there but it did cost a lot for a toy if I had been married I could never have done it Regards Paul

Chappo - 6/11/06 at 09:29 PM

Hi again DIY yes I have got lots of Pictures but I don't now how to post them, a hang on I think I know, now that wont work, send me your Email and I will send you some and could you post them for me mine is Paul. Formston@ Raytheon .co.uk

pjavon - 6/11/06 at 09:55 PM

23,000 miles in 15 months, will you be able to get your backside out of the seat long enough for the meet in the pub tomorrow nite
Paul

DIY Si - 6/11/06 at 10:30 PM

The easiest way to resize them to something suitable (~600-800 pix wide), and then just use the attachment box below the bit where you type your replies.

Chappo - 7/11/06 at 03:27 PM

Ok here go's sorry the first one is of a hotel I stayed in on last years blat in europe

Chappo - 7/11/06 at 03:29 PM

Sorry I will have another go

Chappo - 7/11/06 at 03:35 PM

I can't get it to work

Considerably - 8/11/06 at 01:30 PM

The constant ribbing about being unable to spell (or use punctuation) on BC had you running for safer pastures eh

Spyderman - 8/11/06 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Considerably
The constant ribbing about being unable to spell (or use punctuation) on BC had you running for safer pastures eh

Kettle and Pot spring to mind!

Chappo - 8/11/06 at 02:10 PM

HaHa how do you know considerably have you been on Blatchat. No I take no notice of those twits. no I just thought that we caterham owners needed to build some bridges with other seven owners Regards Paul

Marcus - 8/11/06 at 04:18 PM

There are a few of us who visit Blatchat - mainly for the tech stuff.

Questions such as:

"How do I do this......"

"Send cheque to xxxxx"

Makes me smile!

PS coming on Locostbuilders, there is no pre-requisite to be able to spell or create coherent sentences. As long as you're clear in what you ask, you'll get (95% of the time) a reasonable answer.

iank - 8/11/06 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
There are a few of us who visit Blatchat - mainly for the tech stuff.

Questions such as:

"How do I do this......"

"Send cheque to xxxxx"

Makes me smile!

PS coming on Locostbuilders, there is no pre-requisite to be able to spell or create coherent sentences. As long as you're clear in what you ask, you'll get (95% of the time) a reasonable answer.

The other 5% of the time you'll get 10 answers of mixed reasonableiality

I always like the "I've fitted titanium nuts and bolts to save weight, can I drill out the centers to save some more"

The canoe story is a work of true greatness though...

Chappo - 8/11/06 at 05:02 PM

Yes I know what you mean

DIY Si - 8/11/06 at 05:12 PM

As for the pics, you should just be able to browse your computer and select what you want, unless it's too big, but it'll tell you when you try to post it. When I hit the browse button it comes up with a file upload screen, form there I pick what ever I want and attach it. Like this for example: Rescued attachment lolascreen.jpg
Rescued attachment lolascreen.jpg

wilkingj - 8/11/06 at 06:10 PM

Welcome to the nuthouse Chappy .

Who cares what you drive... I dont.!

I saw a Cat***am at Brands Hatch open day a few weeks ago.
It was very nice.
However I was terribly disapointed with the quality.
There was paint overspray on the mesh grill on the bonnet, and other little minor points like that.
OK on a Locost, but I would NOT expect that on a £40k car.

In fact I have seen one or two Locosts that were finished better
I have to admit I was not impressed.
I wouldnt accept that on a £10k New Ford Ka or Fiesta, let alone a £40 prestige sportscar.

pjavon - 8/11/06 at 07:17 PM

Well no matter what he drives, i can tell you lads chappo is a very nice chappo, met him last night and i could recomend a pint with him to any of you. He built his car and is very keen on the whole kitcar scene.
Thanks for the invite last night paul
see you soon paul

Chappo - 9/11/06 at 06:36 AM

Ha you were very welcome and when I get the Cylinder head back on the car we can go for a blat o and by the way the pictures files are to big thats why I can't post Regards Paul

NS Dev - 9/11/06 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
In all fairness, most 7 owners can't really tell one kind from another. It e=is easier with caterhams though, as they are much smaller than most of the others.
Next project is one of these:

Is that a Crossle Si??

If so.........GIT!!

Absolutely beautiful car and worth every penny of its price. Handle a treat too and just look gorgeous!!!

NS Dev - 9/11/06 at 04:12 PM

Hello Chappo!!!!

welcome to the loony bin!!!

As long as its got 4 wheels and an engine then I have time for it!!!

I race what's in my avatar, I'm just finishing the car below (which is very caterham-esque in terms of size, and even has a caterham HPC prop and sump lol!!! )

And....I'm building a twin bike engined Fiat 126 for next years racing, so I don't really care what it is they are all cars and this site is THE BEST resource on the web for car building, without a doubt!!

exhaust 2
exhaust 2

DIY Si - 9/11/06 at 05:45 PM

Mr Dev, nope it's the next project, assuming I get rich in the near future. It's Gardner Douglas's T70 spyder, and I really, really want one. Shame the missus doesn't want to have one though. Although the screen is helping the argument greatly! Just need to find roughly £8k for the rolling chassis.

JUD - 11/11/06 at 11:04 AM

Hmm I think it was a T70 at TotalKitcar Live Bands Hatch the other week. Orange thingy, that I was told was a £50k car...

Looked the dogs and was very quick.

Keep saving Si!

DIY Si - 11/11/06 at 11:16 AM

They can be a £50k car, as so much depends upon where you get the bits from. An engine from GD will set you back ~£12k for the new LS7, or you can get a supercharged jag V8 for ~£1k! Same power, much less money! Same goes for the internal ally panels. GD want something like £500, or a few sheets of ally for £60. The "complete" kit from GD comes in at £30k ish for all the options I think.

iank - 11/11/06 at 04:56 PM

That one is on the front cover of totalkitcar this month.

Very nice car, if a tad over any budget I'm ever likely to have.

DIY Si - 11/11/06 at 05:01 PM

I'm half way afraid that might happen to me. Going to try and do it the locost way, albeit with a not so locost shell, chassis and suspension bits.