Board logo

Rust in peace
ned - 31/8/06 at 05:24 PM

I don't normally read the sun (was waiting at the hairdressers - no really!)

but spotted this article about half way through, the same article was also in today's star (don't normally read that either)

but of 1.07m mk iv/v cortina's produced only 2010 remaining apparantly!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006400372,,00.html

Humbug - 31/8/06 at 05:31 PM

Spooky! I saw that article in the Sun today. I don't normally read it and I too was waiting at the hairdressers.

the 2010 Cortinas left was the good news... somehow there are still 740 (from memory) Marinas left! Can't we get that number down?

MikeR - 31/8/06 at 05:40 PM

Nothing wrong with a marina in 1960's .......... shame it was only introduced in the 1970's

nige - 31/8/06 at 06:03 PM

hey as it happens i read the article but i dont need the hairdressers anymore
marina was my first car so fond memories
1.8 twin carb , lovely wallow in and out of bends

theconrodkid - 31/8/06 at 06:35 PM

i read somewhere at the launch of the marina they understeered so much that most were written off by the jurno,s.
understeer city personified

omega 24 v6 - 31/8/06 at 07:57 PM

LOL I to read the article in a paper I don't usually read (the sun). I only look at it for the pictures
My old man had a Marina. It was poo on a windy day. I fact it was poo full stop.
I was surprised by the amount of maestros/montegos left on the road.
Who remembers the triumph acclaim?? with twin carbs I seem to remember it pulled like a train for a production car in them days.

trextr7monkey - 31/8/06 at 08:50 PM

Nostalgia... I wasn't at the hairdressers today but did have 3 MG Maestros as firms cars.
Despite the pasting they took in the press they all did 100k in a shortspace of time except one which I pranged on a bad bend with a banked verge on a greasy morning. Write off, I kept the service book showing about 76k and was rather surprised when same car appeared in a local garage a few weeks later having had a dodgey respray and the boy racer treatment, displaying only 39,000miles!!!!!!
Naturally being a good citizen I phoned the garage and explained thatI had been the only former driver and had the servicebook, car disappeared very sharpish, I'm waiting for it to come thrrough as a mint Barn find in Practical Classics one day........

chrisg - 31/8/06 at 09:12 PM

That's a coincidence, I've been to look at a TC marina for a mate today.

Quite tidy actually.

I want a Mk 2.3 ghia Cortina, or a 2.0 at a push, if you see one.

Cheers

Chris

Mark Allanson - 31/8/06 at 09:52 PM

I have a Mk1 Fiat 128 1100 2 door, how many left of these?

Danozeman - 31/8/06 at 10:46 PM

My mum had a meastro. Vanden plas that spoke to you. Right heap.

A bloke i work with has an E reg metro with 16k on the clock. Nice condition aswell.

Chippy - 31/8/06 at 11:01 PM

The Marina was probabley one of the best fleet cars ever made, shame none of the fleet operators ever bought them. Ray

Arthur Dent - 1/9/06 at 05:46 AM

I saw a Marina over here yesterday - lovely tan colour. Rare spotting in Canada.

Peteff - 1/9/06 at 08:13 AM

I had an Allegro Estate in the finest baby poop brown, it was used as a van for a couple of years and performed admirably. My mate George hired a Marina once and it was the first car we got over the ton on a run down the M1.

nick205 - 1/9/06 at 08:22 AM

Aye! them were the days weren't they - Great British motors built with character and the finest materials and workmanship available.

All before my time as a driver, but I do have very fond memories of being taken to school by my Dad in his (hand painted) British Racing Green Marina pick-up

Syd Bridge - 1/9/06 at 08:27 AM

I wonder what the criteria was for compiling that list.

Only reason for wonder is that my eldest drives around in a restored 1972 Austin 1300 Countryman.

The owners club only has 26 on record for the world.

Cheers,
Syd.

MikeRJ - 1/9/06 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I have a Mk1 Fiat 128 1100 2 door, how many left of these?

Very, very few I suspect. Came from the factory with tin worm already installed

As a nipper I can remember being very impressed with the 128 Rally that my uncle owned.