Board logo

locost plastic forming machine
oadamo - 6/1/08 at 07:19 PM

hi ive been thinking about making a cheap plastic vacuum forming machine. but has anyone got any plans or a good place to buy the plastic from.
adam

oadamo - 6/1/08 at 07:27 PM

oh just found this so it can do done at home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVVE5EHzRnk&feature=related
adam

smart51 - 6/1/08 at 07:35 PM

I made one. Large wooden box that just fits in your oven when the door is closed. Depth to suit the pieces you want to make.

Cut a hole in the side just big enough for your hoover's inlet pipe (you want to wedge it in to make an airtight seal.

wooden frame that bolts to the box to clamp the plastic in tight.

Heat in an oven until the plastic sags to the bottom of your mould then open the door and plug in your hoover. The vacuum will suck the plastic into the mould. Leave the hoover on until the plastic cools.

Its tricky and the edges don't do tight bends because they're clamped. Works alright though.

I'm told that an old fridge pump would be better.

Paul TigerB6 - 6/1/08 at 07:40 PM

How many "projects" have you got on the go now?? I've lost track!!!

thomas4age - 6/1/08 at 07:44 PM

I've played with that idea for a very long time, and looked at some proffesional vacuum forming machines in action, the best thing they can do for me is pre forming Vinyl sheet for something like a dashbord, assures very neat fits without stiching.

anyway its quite simple really.

Make a wooden box the size you require for making forms.
make the box airtight but leave the top open

put a tube in the lower part of the box attach a vacuum pump

get an hydraulic jack or other lift system attached to the bottom of the box.
make a wooden plate with loads of tiny holes in it, make sure the outer edge fits exactly in the box and seal it somehow get this plate attanched to the jacking system so it can travvel up and down the "bore" of the box
make a keeper for the top end of the box inbetween which you can clamp the ABS plasticc sheet on top of the box
Make a 5mm thick alloy/copper/steel plate that fits inside the keeper.

Now make a mould/model of what you want.
open the box' lids (keeper and alloy)
put the mould on the drilled table and jack it all the way down. (some moulds require air holes on certain points where it's deeper than the form itself) make sure the Model or Mould is not going to melt, wood is an easy thing to use

Put a plate of ABS over the box and close the keeper lid, apply grease on the edge to keep an air tight seal.
put the alloy plate on top of the ABS plastic, get the paint burner out and start heating the alloy plate (80 degrees C seems enough for ABS plastic trial and error)

when it's hot enough turn heat off. lift the alloy plate of the ABS sheet, put the vacuum pump on, and start jacking up the mould or model underneath the ABS plate. when the correct jacking hight is there to completly have the Mould/model form in the ABS, let it cool down on it's own, when below forming temperature (I think about 50 degrees) drop the jack and mould, release the keeper and take out the formed ABS, a little edge trimming should do the rest.

it's easier to make a positive/bowl part then a negative/hollow part using this technique, hollow parts need airvacuum-holes in the mould which when the holes are to big and vacuum is to high, can be seen as little dimples in the finnished part.

You can also do this with vynil sheet for seats or dashbords I've seen it done with great results.

No real plans of building one on this side of le canal but this is what a vacuum forming machine basicly looks like allbeit not very ofteh in wood.....

grtz Thomas

thomas4age - 6/1/08 at 07:46 PM

Man five awnsers in 10 minutes I must learn to Type quicker!

grtz Thomas

meany - 6/1/08 at 07:53 PM

if its only small items you need.
this is a truly locost method.

2ltr pop bottle.
cut the bottom off..throw away.
place your mould inside, near the top but not too near,
pack it from underneath as tight as you can
put an elastic band towards the bottom of the bottle.
stick it in preheated oven.
bottle shrinks around your mould.

this does work, i have done it for an RC plane canopy.

trust me...try it and see.

GregSL75 - 6/1/08 at 08:19 PM

www.VacuumFormerPlans.com

RK - 6/1/08 at 10:15 PM

And what would you want vacuum formed plastic for exactly?

oadamo - 6/1/08 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
And what would you want vacuum formed plastic for exactly?

body panels i think ive sorted out a way of heating it up. just gotta have a go at making the box to house it in.
adam

RK - 6/1/08 at 10:23 PM

Yes, because I was thinking that the home made things look very cool, but a bit small for our stuff. If you could make a great big huge one, I'd want to see the plans! I need body panels (rear wings and panel).

Danozeman - 6/1/08 at 10:43 PM

quote:

Leave the hoover on until the plastic cools.

Wont it blow up in the end?