Board logo

Cashing US Cheque
liam.mccaffrey - 12/11/08 at 05:54 PM

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to pay a US cheque into a UK bank account. I know there is usually a charge but they are fairly large cheques

andyharding - 12/11/08 at 05:55 PM

Confirmed my Google Adsense cheques used to come from the US and I never had a problem paying them in.

oldtimer - 12/11/08 at 05:58 PM

Just pay them in - the bank will do the conversion.

RK - 12/11/08 at 06:05 PM

Phone the bank first!! You never know, it may not be.

eznfrank - 12/11/08 at 06:08 PM

Some UK banks will insist you open a second kind of sub-account for foreign payments. They usually run alongside your normal account and are in effect invisible.

chris.russell - 12/11/08 at 07:42 PM

Not a problem, my wife cashed a cheque a few months back. The cashier in the bank fills in a special form, your show them some ID, they tick lots of boxes and you leave with a photocopy of the cheque and a copy of the paperwork.

The lady behind the counter told us that is could take up to 8 weeks to clear but is usually cleared within a week.

For this you get charged a fee (think about £14) and recieve a letter from the bank informing you that the cheque is being processed and the money will be in your bank shortly.

jabs - 12/11/08 at 09:32 PM

Charge depends on bank. HSBC wanted to charge me £25 to deposit a £35 cheque, Barclays did it for free

02GF74 - 13/11/08 at 10:19 AM

yes, natwest did it for me. Bu you get stung left, right and centre with charges, conversion rate, commission ...

rgr33n - 16/11/08 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jabsCharge depends on bank. HSBC wanted to charge me £25 to deposit a £35 cheque, Barclays did it for free
interesting to note. my wife has dividend cheques from some shares in a US company she used to work for. they're usually tiny cheques, paid every 6months i think, but if barclays would do that for free, it would save her collecting loads and then asking the company to send a larger cheque (that's what they've told her to do in the past as they won't pay into her bank account)