Board logo

Rust in peace, do not see many of these anymore
mark chandler - 29/12/08 at 09:31 PM

Austin 7 in the woods
Austin 7 in the woods

Found this when walking my dogs, gradually being eaten by the woods. It still has front and rear axles, basket wheels etc, its just collapsed upon itself with time.

Its amazing how small these little Austin 7's are, I thought my little car was small, this is in a different league!

ashg - 29/12/08 at 09:33 PM

thats sad

im daft enough to rescue that lol. is the engine still there?

mark chandler - 29/12/08 at 09:37 PM

Engine and box gone, chassis is mostly fresh air. It has no plates so not worth digging it out.

I guess someone stripped it if useful bits 50 years ago then pushed into the woods

chrisg - 29/12/08 at 09:54 PM

One of my first memories is my dad and my grandad taking the gas axe to a V8 Ford Pilot to get rid of it.

Just an old car back then.

Cheers

Chris

ashg - 29/12/08 at 09:55 PM

shame

a girl i know has one in half restored state. she was meant to be restoring it with her dad but has lost interest and its been sat up for about 3years now. I keep pestering her to let me have it but she keeps saying no and that she will finish it

StevieB - 29/12/08 at 10:12 PM

Might be worth nabbing the axles and wheels and anything remotely useful - there might be abit of profit in there!

JoelP - 29/12/08 at 10:23 PM

theres a 50 year old chieftain tank rotting in the woods not far from me!

Mark Allanson - 29/12/08 at 10:36 PM

As a kid I used to play on 2 WW2 aircraft which had crashed on approach to Rufforth Aerodrome alone Grange Lane which leads to Acomb, York - I suspect they are gone now, but I still have the compass out of one of them in my loft!

A1 - 29/12/08 at 10:39 PM

you should restore it....that would be quite some locost

Z20let Corsa - 29/12/08 at 11:04 PM

haha thats awesome. i say we get everyone that knows where things like this are to get pics. its incredible what must be lying around!!! best we get round here is pushbikes whice have been stolen and dumped!!!!

Simon - 30/12/08 at 12:57 AM

Mark,

When I was between 11 to 15/17, used to play in/ride through (horse) the wood at Petteridge, and there was a couple of cars in a similar state back then - now getting on thirty years ago

Happy Days

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs - 30/12/08 at 08:09 AM

That is so sad
I remember a few months ago seeing an austin 7 driving along the A27 doing 50mph in the rain
I think it is worth digging it out, if not to restore it, to put it on ebay. Make yourself a few pennies at least.
If i had a trailer, id come over and dig it out.

mark chandler - 30/12/08 at 11:04 AM

Same for me Simon.

My friend dad had a farm so lots of 'old rubbish' left out to die including a Armstrong Siddeley so you could pretend to be Al Capone on the running boards.

Cheers Mark

Slowmotion - 30/12/08 at 12:05 PM

I dragged an Austin 7 chassis which was very badly rusted out of a stream in Tonbridge many year ago.

It took me something like 10 years to restore but this is it now. Shows that almost anything is possible!

Austin 7 Ulster at Leeds Castl
Austin 7 Ulster at Leeds Castl

Simon - 30/12/08 at 09:11 PM

Wow

ATB

Simon

mark chandler - 30/12/08 at 09:53 PM

Double wow....

Well its got 4 wire wheels, front axle with trunions, rear axle and steering box, just nothing in between really except for the windscreen surround.

tomblyth - 31/12/08 at 05:03 PM

apply for the log book ! its tax exempt!!!!