Board logo

KillaCycle - Battery powered bike, 0-60 in sub 1 second!
eznfrank - 2/1/09 at 10:10 AM

KillaCycle linky

[Edited on 2/1/09 by eznfrank]

carpmart - 2/1/09 at 10:13 AM

That's just so disconcerting not having the motor noise! Just before he launched it was almost eerily quite!

zilspeed - 2/1/09 at 10:40 AM

And the same technology is to be used this year by Graeme Wight Junior for his new hillclimb single seater.
The car will have 4wd though.

[Edited on 2/1/09 by zilspeed]

coozer - 2/1/09 at 10:55 AM

Absolutely amazing.. when am I going to get a 7 that is somewhere close to that?

russbost - 2/1/09 at 11:22 AM

That's one quick milk float - is his name "Ernie"? (showing my age!)

neilj37 - 2/1/09 at 11:23 AM

ALready is an electric powered seven:

Electric Lotus Seven

Not sure i like it without the exhaust noise

[Edited on 2/1/09 by neilj37]

wrigglypig - 2/1/09 at 11:32 AM

I have followed the history of Killacycle for the last two years or so you will find a lot of clips on line and info re the bike on their site. In Sept 2007 the owner ( not the usual rider) was doing a buit for the tv and did a burnout but lost control and ran into a parked car the clip of that is here...http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0&feature=related

Kev

Stott - 2/1/09 at 12:00 PM

Just seen the inventor crashing the killacycle on youtube, what a tit!

Alan B - 2/1/09 at 01:32 PM

So...all the electricity to charge the batteries is produced by zero emission power stations?

Impressive but the green angle is nutsack IMO.

dhutch - 2/1/09 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by neilj37

Electric Lotus Seven

Not sure i like it without the exhaust noise

I like that.
- Would be interesting to see it round a track however.

At 75mph it has a range of around 85miles looking at it, where my car has a range of around 150 (based on 30mpg and a 25l tank).
- But the diffence is that i can then stop off at one of literally 100's of garages, and for £20 and 5minutes rest be back to squareone.

dhutch - 2/1/09 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
So...all the electricity to charge the batteries is produced by zero emission power stations?

Ditto.
- Like hyrdogen, electric cars are mearly a way of storing and reoutputing produced energy.

It solves that problem. But you then need to work on producing the energy in a clever way than burning a f**k load of fosal fuels!

Daniel

Bob C - 2/1/09 at 03:26 PM

quote:Originally posted by Alan B

Aaaarggghhhhh! The efficiency of a petrol engine peaks at about 30%. but in a car it is NEVER at peak efficiency & probably averages 3 or 4%
Meanwhile a battery car overall efficiency is nearer 70% times the 35 to 40% the power station manages - you get 5 or 6 times better usage of your petrol using a battery car & burning the petrol in a power station.
Things get better when you factor in regenerative braking.
I think top gear & the like have come out with that crap so often they believe it....

Bob C - 2/1/09 at 03:32 PM

oh yeah - and the "hydrogen revolution" (fuel cell) is just the energy companies looking for a continuation of their market - it makes no sense technically - by the time you've compressed & delivered it you ain't much better off than good old fossil fuels in overall efficiency.
In my opinion (FWIW) the future is battery cars for commuting & bio diesel for long distance & england will be yellow with oilseed rape for ever...
But who knows what tomorrow will bring - they might invent pocket sized fusion reactors next year........

thunderace - 2/1/09 at 04:00 PM

i he dead now

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZfueVHVnkI&feature=related

David Jenkins - 2/1/09 at 04:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by neilj37

Electric Lotus Seven

Hmm... 1664lb, or 755kg... they need to lose 150kg to make it as light as the average lardy Locost (i.e. like mine). Then all that power should make it quite brisk!

I'm waiting for this year's Isle of Man TT, when they run the electric bike race.

[Edited on 2/1/09 by David Jenkins]