Board logo

theiving b$%^&rds
tcr - 24/2/09 at 10:28 PM

after ordering me new rims monday i got a call today that some thieving polish bastards have been in the garage and stole my old 15" wheels with new toyo's on along with all my tools ,spares and whatever else the shites could get their hands on.
i had the car out on sat for a bit of a clean up and noticed 4 of them hanging about a few doors away but didnt think owt about it ,police are as interested as a carrot aswell

these wheels

[Edited on 24/2/09 by tcr]

mookaloid - 24/2/09 at 10:33 PM

Bad luck mate

Have to say I'm paranoid about letting people see inside the garage - if they don't know there's stuff to take, they won't try to take it.

tcr - 24/2/09 at 10:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Bad luck mate

Have to say I'm paranoid about letting people see inside the garage - if they don't know there's stuff to take, they won't try to take it.

i think they went for the car but couldnt get the big 6' gates open so took everything else throught the little 1 at the side

Andi - 24/2/09 at 10:55 PM

Gutted for you,
Similar thing happened to me one morning at 5am, took the wifes brand new racing bike and a load of power tools from the garage. The thief was challenged by a neighbour who said he sounded Polish or Russian and tried to blag that it was his house and garage.
He got away and likewise, the Police just "logged" it.

MikeR - 24/2/09 at 11:04 PM

My garage is down my drive at the end of a cul-de-sac so anyone coming down is to either door to door sell or visit a neighbour.

If they try talking to me i play down and explain ive been doing it for 10 years, everything scrap, no value cause i use scrap etc.

Plus they've got a 5' fence and a garage door + security lights to get past. Keep thinking of putting a post in the floor as well.

Bad luck - just get the place secured before you replace anything or they'll be back and steal that as well.

Ben_Copeland - 24/2/09 at 11:34 PM

Be careful cos they'll be back for a second try if you dont secure properly

r1_pete - 25/2/09 at 07:03 AM

Absolutely feel for you mate....

But you know they add value to our society.

Mr Whippy - 25/2/09 at 07:48 AM

hmm not good

given the number of folk on the site that have been broken into I'm putting a lot more effort and money into getting my own garage as secure as possable. Been thinking of things like bars over the windows and skinning the back door with a sheet of steel inside.

speedyxjs - 25/2/09 at 07:51 AM

Barstewards
I had my donors propshaft stolen a few months back and i still havnt found a replacement
Anyone know where i can get a prop for a manual xj40?

Mr Whippy - 25/2/09 at 08:08 AM

tonnes of jag breakers on the web though might be worth getting a new shaft made if the donors are all high mileage ones, on such a heavy car the props will be quite worn

speedyxjs - 25/2/09 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
tonnes of jag breakers on the web though might be worth getting a new shaft made if the donors are all high mileage ones, on such a heavy car the props will be quite worn

Tried all of the jag breakers i know of and none of them have one from a manual.

thunderace - 25/2/09 at 08:58 AM

get a hiden camara and get them on film you can get cheap ones on mapilins not all polish as scum some are nice and could have been someone else .i would say they will be back for sure.

if you get them on film print the pic off and offer a reward postering the town with a4 flyers saving reward for info finding them £**** then when someone phones tell them if convicted you will give them the reward.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224288

wilkingj - 25/2/09 at 11:08 AM

You want an IP camera server.

I have mine set up to only take a still piccy when there is movement in the picture.
Then it saves the pics to a remote server (Say your Free webspace from your ISP) incase they steal my PC or Video recorder if you are recording (you also need a 24hour recorder for the maplin camera's).
And them it Emails me at work with a copy of the picture.

I use one of these. Takes up to 4 camera (ordinary hard wired 1volt composite video camera).
It can be accessed from the internet anywhere in the world to see whats happening at home.

Linky

Works reasonably well, and uses ordinary camera's. Downside is there is only one Audio input. plus side, takes up to 4 cameras.
No doubt there is better kit out there than this.

Edit:
They have a posh Mpeg one as well

linky

Have used this company before with no problems.

[Edited on 25/2/2009 by wilkingj]

coozer - 25/2/09 at 11:18 AM

I have an old pc in the garage with a 250gb HD. Continuously records 2 cameras.

All the bits were dirt cheap off ebay and second hand shop ones do the job nicely.

idl1975 - 25/2/09 at 12:06 PM

I would just go with a very large, fierce dog. Let's face it, you might scare law abiding Poles, but our home-grown thieves aren't scared of the police or the courts.

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

All the bits were dirt cheap off ebay and second hand shop ones do the job nicely.

wilkingj - 25/2/09 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Thats fine until they steal the PC as well. Especially if they figure out the camera's are connected to it.

My Way all the pictures are sent off site as soon as they are taken, and doesnt require an On-Site PC running 24x7 (about £100+ per year in electricity as well)

If I get an email at work (or on my mobile) I know something is not right at home.

Either that or the wife is bending over the freezer in the garage getting a bag of peas out for tea!

motorcycle_mayhem - 25/2/09 at 01:22 PM

My advice is to get a camera set-up. The police will take absolutely no interest unless they have evidence.
My experience is different, I'm (very) rural, I have two retired neighbours. They don't like me. While I was at work they would attack the cars, break bottles all over the drive and smash the house windows. Fires were started, bins etc., but still no interest from the police. It became impossible to sell the house, with crime reports piling high, still is, so I'm setting it up for rental. Anyway, I digress...
12 Video cameras, 3 4-Channel DVR's, backup output to a Unix server, compressed and sent to another server.
No crime whatsoever, since I installed it. They still stand and stare all day though, why do old people do that?, anway, buy cameras.

cd.thomson - 25/2/09 at 01:23 PM

erm....

where do you live?!

wilkingj - 25/2/09 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

No crime whatsoever, since I installed it. They still stand and stare all day though, why do old people do that?, anway, buy cameras.

Its sad to have to have neighbours like that.

If you are younger than them, just remember they wont live forever!

Just make sure you are squeeky clean, and they have nothing on you. You never know if they have hidden camera's on you.

Sorry to hear you have to live like that.

I know how stressful it was when ALL 11 neighbours put in written objections to my planning permission for my aerials being moved off the house to their own mast in the garden.
You have my fullest sympathy.

motorcycle_mayhem - 25/2/09 at 02:46 PM

Cornwall.
Two households of retired Brummies came down a few years ago, with some rather rigid views of what their retirement environment should be. They've got together, have tried all sorts of legal approaches to get me out of their Utopia, having failed (dismally) with that (the council officials and magistrates now appear to regard their complaints as a nuisance), they've resorted to illegal actions. Everything from slashing tyres to cutting brake pipes, all very dangerous when you get into a car on a dark morning to go to work...

02GF74 - 25/2/09 at 03:26 PM

nice neighbours you have then.

suggest you buy a cheap old land rover, load it up with bricks and a couple of petrol jerry cans then wait for the brakes lines to be cut , hopefully recording it, then drive towards their house, leaping out of the vehicle when you release the brakes have failed.

if you injure or kill them, serves the f**kers right. cutting brake lines is not very christian, is it?

Peteff - 25/2/09 at 03:31 PM

quote:
they've resorted to illegal actions. Everything from slashing tyres to cutting brake pipes, all very dangerous when you get into a car on a dark morning to go to work...

I can't believe the police did not react to a report of cutting brake pipes, that is tantamount to attempted murder.

P.S. make sure you rent it out to someone with some yappy Jack Russells, preferably a breeder

[Edited on 25/2/09 by Peteff]

carpmart - 25/2/09 at 03:53 PM

quote:

Either that or the wife is bending over the freezer in the garage getting a bag of peas out for tea!

Is that code for something else???

adithorp - 25/2/09 at 04:32 PM

"Either that or the wife is bending over the freezer in the garage..."

Seeing as you've got pictures I think it only right that you show us. Just to demonstrate the quality of the images of course.

adrian

Mellow Matt - 25/2/09 at 05:48 PM

I feel for you tcr, you must be pretty pi$$ed off I'd agree about being aware that they might come back though, the nerve some "people" have is amazing. We had a guy in fitting carpet into our student house a couple of years ago, and some scrote stole the carpet from our hallway when we were all in and the guy was taking up the old stuff!

Hope you manage to get your things back, or at least hope they don't come back for the rest

(off topic - idl1975 - you have unread mail I think, if I understand this U2U malarkey!)

nstrug - 26/2/09 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Cornwall.
Two households of retired Brummies came down a few years ago, with some rather rigid views of what their retirement environment should be. They've got together, have tried all sorts of legal approaches to get me out of their Utopia, having failed (dismally) with that (the council officials and magistrates now appear to regard their complaints as a nuisance), they've resorted to illegal actions. Everything from slashing tyres to cutting brake pipes, all very dangerous when you get into a car on a dark morning to go to work...

Awful story, I feel for you mate. Did you consider the civil courts? Remember that the burden of proof in civil proceedings is lower than in criminal, and they would think twice after a couple of CCJs ordering them to make reparations for the damage they had done to your property.

I do regularly thank God that I live in the lowest crime area in the country, with lovely neighbours but we don't half pay for it in terms of ridiculous house prices and rents.

Nick