Board logo

Anybody want a cheap car?
David Jenkins - 23/3/09 at 11:41 AM

Tata Nano

Yours for just over £1300!

I'd give them 10/10 for effort, considering their market and their target owners (those currently using motorbikes).

[Edited on 23/3/09 by David Jenkins]

BenB - 23/3/09 at 11:48 AM

Except when it gets to the UK it'll be around £4000!!!!

I'd like to see one of those in a crash test...

Hope it does better than the "Brilliance" car from China

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Crash-Test-Chinese-Car_151645.htm

Nasty defomation in them sills!!!!!

anup - 23/3/09 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

I'd give them 10/10 for effort, considering their market and their target owners (those currently using motorbikes).

Given that's most of India, I think they have a good market! Also going from a bike to car, this would be considered a very safe option for drivers there

David Jenkins - 23/3/09 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB

I can't see them being too popular in this country - top speed of 45-ish, probably very poor acceleration. Maybe OK for city dwellers, but not for outside the town boundaries.

Spot on for their own needs, though.

coozer - 23/3/09 at 11:52 AM

We tried to submit a quote fro the column but couldn't match the sub $10 price at the time (£4.25!)

iscmatt - 23/3/09 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB

I'd like to see one of those in a crash test...

Hope it does better than the "Brilliance" car from China

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Crash-Test-Chinese-Car_151645.htm

Nasty defomation in them sills!!!!!

Even the pedestrian gets killed by the piece of flying glass right at the end of the vid!!

nick205 - 23/3/09 at 12:49 PM

You might deride, but I kind of think we'll all end up in this sort of car (lolose terminology) before too much longer. Given the option of a Piagio scooter or the Tata, I know I'd be inside the Tata too. And, if we're all only doing 45mph flat out then the safety should be adequate.

My bet is it will happen in most of our lifetimes - i.e. next 20-30 years.

ETA...

My other bet is that Tata will cash in over the likes of the US and most European car makers who still seem hell bent on developing bigger, heavier and ever more complex cars.

[Edited on 23/3/09 by nick205]

splitrivet - 23/3/09 at 03:41 PM

After a trip to India and seeing a family of four on a Vespa, the biggest customer will be their equivalent of National Express who could use it as a 20 seater.
Cheers,
Bob

David Jenkins - 23/3/09 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
After a trip to India and seeing a family of four on a Vespa,

Never mind India, I've seen that in Italy - Sorrento, to be precise - mother driving, grandma & a baby behind, small child standing on the 'footplate'! Closely followed by someone carrying a 2-metre long roll of carpet in front of him.

splitrivet - 23/3/09 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
After a trip to India and seeing a family of four on a Vespa,

Never mind India, I've seen that in Italy - Sorrento, to be precise - mother driving, grandma & a baby behind, small child standing on the 'footplate'! Closely followed by someone carrying a 2-metre long roll of carpet in front of him.

My daughter got married in Sorrento last year, now youve mentioned it Italy was very much like India except it was 500 times more expensive, the driving was worse and the people werent as friendly.
Oh and the food was crap.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 23/3/09 by splitrivet]

[Edited on 23/3/09 by splitrivet]

[Edited on 24/3/09 by splitrivet]

rusty nuts - 23/3/09 at 07:53 PM

quote:
After a trip to India and seeing a family of four on a Vespa, the biggest customer will be their equivalent of National Express who could use it as a 20 seater.
Cheers,
Bob

Seen that in Greece a few times , also saw a couple of guys on a moped carrying another moped across the frame doing over the speed limit on a main road. Not a helmet in sight anywhere.