Board logo

Plumbing question
chrisg - 28/4/09 at 09:25 PM

I need to do some plumbing to my central heating system soon and what I'd like to know is this....

Is there a modern, ideally flexible pipe, that I can use that will withstand the very hot temperature, instead of copper?

Cheers

Chris

AdrianH - 28/4/09 at 09:29 PM

Why not silicone hose?

You would use it on your car that gets passed boiling point and at pressure.

Adrian

mookaloid - 28/4/09 at 09:30 PM

http://www.hep2o.co.uk/

chrisg - 28/4/09 at 09:32 PM

I'll need about 60m, silicone might be a tad expensive!

Cheers

Chris

craig_007 - 28/4/09 at 09:33 PM

Hi mate,

Hep 2o pipe(acorn as we call it)

If it's for your central heating make sure you get barrier pipe and if your connecting to the boiler make sure you are 1 meter away from the boiler before connecting plastic pipe.

AdrianH - 28/4/09 at 09:40 PM

Oops, but you could have most colours!

Adrian

chrisg - 28/4/09 at 09:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I wasn't sure if plastic pipe would be ok for the temperature of a central heating system.

Cheers

Chris

iank - 28/4/09 at 09:44 PM

Talk to Marcus see this thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=91145

omega 24 v6 - 28/4/09 at 10:10 PM

And remember if you break into the copper pipework with plastic to put a bonding bridge in place in order to keep the electrical bonding intact

whitestu - 29/4/09 at 11:27 AM

I used it when the muppets who did our loft conversion connected the heating up wrong.

Its dead easy to use and seems fine with central heating temperatures.

Stu

RoadkillUK - 29/4/09 at 11:28 AM

I've just fitted a bathroom towel radiator and used THIS STUFF, it's 30m and cheap.

No leaks yet (fingers crossed)

Edited to include link

[Edited on 29/4/09 by RoadkillUK]

Marcus - 29/4/09 at 11:37 AM

Hi Chris
As above really, the current crop of plastic piping (polybutylene / pe-x) is designed for central heating and tested to withstand temperatures of 114°c for short periods (BS7291). It will happily run a central heating system for years. The only time we don't recommend it is when connecting to a back boiler system where there is no temperature control, or within 1 metre of a normal boiler.
There are 3 major manufacturers in the UK;
Hepworth (now Wavin)
John Guest
Polypipe
I work in product development for one of these, but to remain unbiassed, I'll not reveal which
Any of these pipes will do the job easily.

Cheers

woodster - 29/4/09 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Hi Chris
As above really, the current crop of plastic piping (polybutylene / pe-x) is designed for central heating and tested to withstand temperatures of 114°c for short periods (BS7291). It will happily run a central heating system for years. The only time we don't recommend it is when connecting to a back boiler system where there is no temperature control, or within 1 metre of a normal boiler.
There are 3 major manufacturers in the UK;
Hepworth (now Wavin)
John Guest
Polypipe
I work in product development for one of these, but to remain unbiassed, I'll not reveal which
Any of these pipes will do the job easily.

Cheers

i hope its John Guest because they are the best

Marcus - 30/4/09 at 11:44 AM

Lol Woodster, you must know something I dont