Board logo

Are you too hot to think straight?
stevegough - 2/7/09 at 08:23 PM

Hot, hot, can't breathe, can't be bothered to do anything, just want to doss.....

I can't remember a period of heat like it - except maybe 1975?

-- sorry, he's supposed to be cool !

big_wasa - 2/7/09 at 08:29 PM

Yep but just had an hour tinkering in the garage.

But couldnt be bothered to do anything important.

carpmart - 2/7/09 at 08:31 PM

It was 1976 not '75 the mega heatwave!

clairetoo - 2/7/09 at 08:31 PM

I remember 1976 as being silly hot - and all I had was a Honda SS50.....................
I'm loving the heat , but today at work we got 44 degrees (outside , in the smoking area !)...... that is just too much

Stuart_B - 2/7/09 at 08:31 PM

i have been sweating at work all week this week. mind you it is my first week at work aswel.lol

stuart

LBMEFM - 2/7/09 at 08:40 PM

I love it , it would be great if it stayed like this up to the end of September and beyond. Barry

Mark Allanson - 2/7/09 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I remember 1976 as being silly hot - and all I had was a Honda SS50.....................
I'm loving the heat , but today at work we got 44 degrees (outside , in the smoking area !)...... that is just too much

Ha Ha - same here, blue 4 speed TCV289N, 49mph flat out and 160mpg until I fitted the barrel, piston and head from a C70! - oh to be 16 again

David Jenkins - 2/7/09 at 08:48 PM

The heat and sunshine I don't mind... it's the high humidity that's getting to me.

flak monkey - 2/7/09 at 08:52 PM

Sometimes I think I am loosing the plot....

fesycresy - 2/7/09 at 08:54 PM

Nope lovely and cool in my lounge, just turned the air conditioning off.

Have to make do with a smilie, because we don't have a smug ba$tard one

cd.thomson - 2/7/09 at 08:55 PM

1975, that was only 12 years before I was born.

I will have to remember to ask my grandma about it

Apparently 1987 was really windy, but you guys would know more about that than me

[Edited on 2/7/09 by cd.thomson]

omega0684 - 2/7/09 at 09:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy

you have air conditioning in Wales ! lol

i spent 6 hrs gardening today, cutting the hedge and mowing the lawn, didn't really feel the heat until my mum got hope and pointed out that my back was red raw! ive had to put on 3 lots of after sun cream, man im going to be brown in a couple of days!

[Edited on 2/7/09 by omega0684]

davie h - 2/7/09 at 09:05 PM

hot as hell here to, i bought a desk type fan from b&q tonight for £7.50 im sitting with it at the open patio door blowing the coolish air into the living room and for the price its pretty good.

Davie

fesycresy - 2/7/09 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy

you have air conditioning in Wales ! lol

i spent 6 hrs gardening today, cutting the hedge and mowing the lawn, didn't really feel the heat until my mum got hope and pointed out that my back was red raw! ive had to put on 3 lots of after sun cream, man im going to be brown in a couple of days!

[Edited on 2/7/09 by omega0684]

Yes we have air conditioning, coal fired too !

Hope your mam didn't miss any bits rubbing your cream in

pinto - 2/7/09 at 09:25 PM

It was 1976 as i had 3 months of before starting work
Out in the boat every day fishing
fishing no good but sun was hot

SteveWalker - 2/7/09 at 09:39 PM

I'm not sure how in this heat, but we spent most of the day cutting down, cutting up and carrying off a 30ft Leyllandi. I've been putting off doing it for two years and I only have to go and choose weather like this to start!

eccsmk - 2/7/09 at 09:44 PM

after spending most of yesterday in someone loft working i dont feel too hot today. but i cant think straight as i cant concentrate long on any one job

nothing to do with the heat tho thats just the way i am

Nash - 2/7/09 at 09:55 PM

I took the day off work today to crack on with the car. Spent the morning in Car Builder Solutions and the afternoon / evening cutting, drilling, fitting and melting. I also worked on the car!!!

What a great day. I hope this weather lasts until late September.

Lets no harp on about '76 wasn't it also a dreadful winter that year?

..........Neil

PS I had a FS1E (Fizzie) as my first mode of transport, Micron eahaust, Castrol R (what a great smell!!) and 60mph if the wind was in the right direction!! Great days.

eccsmk - 2/7/09 at 10:20 PM

mmm castrol R mmm
we used to run an aditive in our race cars that smelled like castrol R

sorry but i like the smell

Mr G - 2/7/09 at 10:20 PM

Sunny weather?

It's been pissing down here all day!

JoelP - 2/7/09 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
Sunny weather?

Well the weather is always a bit grim in 5 link

mediabloke - 2/7/09 at 10:52 PM

Yep - with you on the warm distraction bit. The psycho aircon at work has a lot to do with it. Nice & cool in the morning, it lulls you into a false sense of security. By mid-afternoon, it's warm & humid enough in there to grow 'errrb...

On the large plus side, the Indy made a fantastic commute today. Cool in all senses of the word!

dave1888 - 2/7/09 at 11:18 PM

We dont have aircon in our office but the boss does, so we take it in turns to go see him. He now thinks hes popular.

Mr G - 3/7/09 at 12:00 AM

Apparently they had hail and sleet in de dion today

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
Sunny weather?

Well the weather is always a bit grim in 5 link

Vindi_andy - 3/7/09 at 08:45 AM

Summer of '75 was hotter despite the snow but short
Summer of '76 lasted a lot longer

2 June 1975
Snow fell across the Midlands and south-east England preventing cricket at Buxton in the Peak Districk.

I have photos of my christening in june with snow on the ground now, thats

Summer 1976
The great drought. In southern England, no rain fell for between 35 and 42 days up to 29 August. It was the longest period without rain for 80 years. Reservoirs, already depleted by 1975 being the fifth driest year this century, dried up completely, causing severe water shortages in many parts of England and Wales. Over 1 million people were forced to collect their water from standpipes in the street. As the summer continued, elderly people suffered strokes and heart attacks brought on by the heat. This heatwave was caused by a high pressure area which got blocked over the British Isles. This phenomenon, known as a 'blocking anticyclone' also had the effect of bringing heavy rain to the normally dry and sunny Mediterranean areas. In Britain, the government passed the UK's first ever Drought Bill, creating the post of Minister for Drought. This bill gave wide powers to local authorities allowing them to fine people for wasting water. The farming industry lost crops with an estimated value of £500 million and thousands of acres of forest were lost to fire.

[Edited on 3/7/09 by Vindi_andy]

SteveWalker - 3/7/09 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
Summer of '75 was hotter despite the snow but short
Summer of '76 lasted a lot longer

2 June 1975
Snow fell across the Midlands and south-east England preventing cricket at Buxton in the Peak Districk.

I can definitely confirm that the snow reached at least as far north as Manchester - I was almost 9 at the time and built a very small snowman. Funnily enough I was telling my neighbour about it last week.

02GF74 - 3/7/09 at 09:18 AM

noone has mentioned the plague of ladybirds ...

Peteff - 3/7/09 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by eccsmk
mmm castrol R mmm
we used to run an aditive in our race cars that smelled like castrol R

sorry but i like the smell

Assemble your exhaust with grease instead of gun gum and you'll get the Castrol R effect

We were on the beach in Skeggy the year of the ladybird plague and you could shovel them up there were so many.

rusty nuts - 3/7/09 at 06:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
noone has mentioned the plague of ladybirds ...

That would be the year after the greenfly plague