Board logo

audi 100 front shocks
squbti - 29/7/09 at 07:12 PM

hi all, i´ve got to change the front shocks on my old audi 100 (1989) & have baught new ones but have no clue how to to do that , i´ve had a look arownd & it looks like a simple thing to do . has anyone done this or know how i should go about doing this ?
thanks for the help.
cheers
Samy

theconrodkid - 29/7/09 at 09:12 PM

removing the shocks is pretty straight forward,2 bolts through the front hub and a nut where it goes into the engine bay,you may need a spline tool to hold the middle of the shock while you undo nut.
to remove/replace the spring you need a compressor,dont try to bodge it,(it can take your head off if it lets go)get a proper one or take the struts to a garage to get them done....simples really

goodall - 29/7/09 at 11:04 PM

i have a audi 100, its not quite so simple, sadly

its a one piece strut, so you need to remove the the bottom ball joint, drive shaft stub and the caliper
then to get off at the top remove the 3 10mm nut that hold the strut top to the shell, do not remove the big nut, this holds the spring seat against the spring

now with a lot of jiggling and trying to get of the lower arm remove the strut, then disassemble the strut top assembly with the spring held by spring compressors. there is a special vag tool needed to remove the locking nut on the strut body that holds the damper in it, however i found a stilson works

having done this job with the aid someone the first time id call a fairly intense job, however i can now after working on 3 20 year old audis do this fairly quickly

[Edited on 29/7/09 by goodall]

squbti - 30/7/09 at 04:42 PM

hmmm , i think i know what you guys mean but i´m not realy sure how to remove the old dampers , they dont appear to be held in place by any nutt or bult it looks like they just slide into the upright ! i´ve taken the part in the engen bay apart & the damper was just sticking up throw that opening , the spring is safe & sownd & it didnt look like i would need to take that apart at all , i tried to pull the damper up & out through the top ( into the engen bay ) but it feels like its held down or in place by something!?
so i´ll have another go at it , would have been nice with an AUDI 100 manual
thanks for the replys
cheers
Samy

goodall - 30/7/09 at 05:26 PM

ill take a pic or scan of the exploded diagram for you itll be clear then

squbti - 30/7/09 at 06:48 PM

thanks so much , that´ll be great. i tried to find some drawings online but had no luck & i´m sure it would have helped alot , like the saying goes (one picture is worth a thousend words )
thanks again
Samy

goodall - 30/7/09 at 10:12 PM

pull this pic of www.vagcat.com its very useful have a audi or vw
part 14 is the cap nut that holds the damper into the strut body

squbti - 1/8/09 at 06:56 PM

hi goodall, thaks alot for all your help that realy cleared thing up .
cheers