Board logo

OT Redundency payments...
red22 - 15/8/09 at 03:20 PM

Is there any legal requirement for redundency payments to be payed to you on your last day of service, or can a company choose when it feels like to make payment?

stevebubs - 15/8/09 at 04:11 PM

I *believe* it's "on or soon after". Wouldn't expect it to be beyond the next normal pay date, though.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLea vingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_10026616

Bigheppy - 15/8/09 at 04:34 PM

Been redundant twice and on both occasions I received the money on the pay date following the finish date.

koiking125 - 15/8/09 at 04:49 PM

Should be in your last pay packet. Is the company still running or have they gone insolvent???
Took my partner 10 months to get hers, then it had to come from the redundency payments office as the company she worked for just shut up shop and paid no one including the solicitor we used to try and get the money.
If you are in any doubt of being paid speak to ACAS.

bmseven - 15/8/09 at 05:56 PM

Ditto
If they have not got any money they do not need to pay you anything. I got made redundant 10 weeks ago after 15 years service, insolvency office wont pay me a penny because the company are still yet to officially liquidate (hopefully this week)
As said acas will advise see here
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1365

red22 - 15/8/09 at 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's a local council so no worries about no cash to pay and the redundency payment already agreed so ok on that front, but as the last day of service was 31.7 was thinking would get it then but didn't and when queried told "not really sure when the payments will be made". Just expected a bit better really, oh well just have to wait.

austin man - 15/8/09 at 09:24 PM

just clairify how many weeks vs service they pay you this increases with age

GrumpyOne - 15/8/09 at 11:47 PM

After two years full service, you are entitled to 1.5 weeks pay (if you are over 40) for every additional years service, the first two don't count.
Payment should be made on the next pay day following your redundancy and the first £30,000 is tax free.

Hope this helps.
Colin