Board logo

Can u believe people? They will say anything to save their skin.
nitram38 - 29/10/09 at 09:05 PM

I was stationary in traffic tonight, when a women in a vauxhall zafira went down the centre chevrons from behind me to turn right at the box junction ahead.
She was so close to me that she clipped my rear wheel arch putting a dent in it.
I pulled out and followed her into the turn, hooting the hooter so she pulled up.
She got out and apologized and said "I only thought I clipped your wing mirror".
She lived up the road a bit so we drove to her house to exchange details.
Her husband came out and took pictures.
I then pointed out to him my T-Eye recorder to him and explained that along with video, it records impacts, gps location my speed and sound recording.
When I got home I reported it to my insurance company who rang the other driver.
Basically the husband is now challenging the accident and saying it is not the womans fault and that she wasn't on the chevrons.

On my video I am stationary, the gps clearly shows my location on a satellite image that I am a long way back from the box and along side the chevrons, the 3 axis impact sensor graph is in straight lines until you see my longitudinal line blip at the point of impact and it has also recorded the driver getting out of her car and coming up to my window and apologising for hitting me. The video also shows me having to pull out onto the chevrons to go up behind her to make her stop.

Me thinks she has a problem here.
Thank god for technology otherwise it would be my word against hers.

Its the second time this has paid for it's self. The first being when a copper stopped me for going through a jammed on red traffic light.

[Edited on 29/10/2009 by nitram38]

JoelP - 29/10/09 at 09:09 PM

camera strikes again!

Benzine - 29/10/09 at 09:17 PM

sounds like a great bit of kit!

BenB - 29/10/09 at 09:19 PM

How much and were from? I think I need one. Too many idiots around....

BenB - 29/10/09 at 09:20 PM

Do the insurance companies reduce your premium if you have one? They should do if it reduces bogus claims against you...

tomgregory2000 - 29/10/09 at 09:20 PM

that guy is a tosser!!

Thank god you had that fitted, sounds like a good bit of kit

omega0684 - 29/10/09 at 09:22 PM

second plee here, where from and how much?

Toprivetguns - 29/10/09 at 09:27 PM

nitram, is it a Roadhawk?

Mr G - 29/10/09 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
II then pointed out to him my T-Eye recorder to him and explained that along with video, it records impacts, gps location my speed and sound recording.

You guys thought about typing 't-eye' into google and seeing what results appear in the drop down box by any chance?

nitram38 - 29/10/09 at 09:39 PM

T-eye ADR3000 (joutec is the company) bought from cpc farnell (cheapest I could find) £293 delivered.

CPC link

Link to manufacturer site

I had an accident in 2005, just a scrape. Other driver went through red light. Insurance couldnt agree so a judge at a county court had to decide. The other driver lied. Damage £500 Hire car £2000.
He won and I'm fairly sure his hire car reciept was probably via a mate.
I had protected bonus but it is all the hassle of going to court etc.

I just knew that because of all the driving I do in London, that it wasn't a question of if I had another accident but when.

The camera has the added bonus of calming road rage idiots and people on mobiles when I tell them they are on video.

The MotaLeira has a mounting bracket on it too

paul the 6th - 29/10/09 at 09:41 PM

looks like maplins have discontinued it where it was priced at £249.99 but the unit is still available at a price of £297.86 delivered from here: http://www.ktduk.com/product/t-eye_automated_driving_recorder_and_gps_system_accident_camera/

never heard of it but it looks like a really smart & compact system considering the trouble it could get you out of.... really quite impressed

Mr G - 29/10/09 at 09:49 PM

Multiples on ebay from seller calypso151 @£ 269 delivered.

Dangle_kt - 29/10/09 at 09:50 PM

What are the rules on having to disclose footage etc if your at fault? Or speeding?

Ninehigh - 29/10/09 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
What are the rules on having to disclose footage etc if your at fault? Or speeding?

If I was the opposing solicitor and I knew you had information you weren't disclosing I'd hound you until you told me why..

Nitram if that camera saves you send them a nice little letter reminding them "the camera never lies!"

nitram38 - 29/10/09 at 09:56 PM

It comes with an interior mirror bracket, infared light for the interior, power cord and remote switch so that u can trigger the recording yourself.
Basically the camera records continously onto an sd card, time stamps each small file and automatically records over the oldest files.
When u get a sudden impact or remote switch press (u set the sensitivity) it marks the files so they are not overwritten for a minute leading up to the event and a time after (I've set mine to two minutes)
When you get home you can view the files along with a moving google map if you are connected to the internet. This can be sattelite, map or hybrid views.
Along with your speed and any G-forces on 3 axis.

JoelP - 29/10/09 at 09:58 PM

awesome piece of kit, would have saved me £750 a few years ago. Fortunately i had NCB on two policies, but that was one of them out of the window.

nitram38 - 29/10/09 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

I think the law says that you are not required to incriminate yourself, but lets put it this way, if you are a dangerous driver, wouldn't you like to know for yourself that you are not perfect and how badly you drive, so you can put it right?

I've noticed my own bad habits like driving one handed with the other on the gearshift.

It might also stop you from picking your nose!

Ninehigh - 29/10/09 at 10:07 PM

quote:
It might also stop you from picking your nose!

Bugger, I'm not having one then!

Mr G - 29/10/09 at 10:18 PM

quote:
I've noticed my own bad habits like driving one handed with the other on the gearshift.

Your left hand I hope in a right hooker

JoelP - 29/10/09 at 10:19 PM

Could it be adapted to work in a van with no rear view?

mistergrumpy - 29/10/09 at 10:20 PM

And does it take much wiring to install it?

Dangle_kt - 29/10/09 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
quote:

Your left hand I hope in a right hooker

I hope that is a typo or that's ewww.

nitram38 - 29/10/09 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Could it be adapted to work in a van with no rear view?

It also comes with an alternative bracket that sticks to the windscreen, but this makes removing the T-eye difficult (I always take it out at night) and u will have to find a way of fixing the interior infrared light yourself.

I often leave the camera running in public car parks and places where the parking is tight incase of hit and run drivers.
It uses very little power.

Installation is easy via your cigar lighter socket and it has long cables so you can route them around your windscreen under the lining if you want to

JoelP - 29/10/09 at 10:28 PM

i mean, can it be externally mounted so it can still see backwards?! It does record 360 degress doesnt it?

iscmatt - 30/10/09 at 12:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i mean, can it be externally mounted so it can still see backwards?! It does record 360 degress doesnt it?

Reading one of the websites it says "143 degree front camera and 170 degree rear camera" - though i dont know if the camera/s are seperate or have to be mounted together.

He is the list of the specs, i might have to start saving up for one of these!!

HERE

iscmatt - 30/10/09 at 12:59 AM

ah, looks like two seperate cameras

HERE

Edit to say scroll down the above page gives more detailed spec

[Edited on 30/10/09 by iscmatt]

nitram38 - 30/10/09 at 03:36 AM

One wide angle lense looks forwards and covers the entire front view through your windscreen and the other shows the complete interior of your vehicle.

[Edited on 30/10/2009 by nitram38]

speedyxjs - 30/10/09 at 07:11 AM

I really do need to get one of those. Would also be a great idea for our vans. Il print this thread out later and show my dad tomorrow

nitram38 - 2/11/09 at 10:40 PM

Kwikfit insurance have been great.
I reported the accident to them within an hour and then they said they will waiver my excess because of my camera evidence and that the repairers will contact me the next day between 9am & 11am.
Next day at 11am, phone call.
They would have picked the car up the next day, but I'm working, so they are picking it up next Monday morning and dropping of the courtesy car.
Not bad so far

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 2/11/09 at 10:48 PM

would video evidence be still accepted in a court of law tho seeing as the unit isnt a calibrated recognized equipment used by the bib? i know video is a good bit of ammo i have video for my car too but just basic video - but if it went to court whats to stop someone saying you edited the video?

nitram38 - 2/11/09 at 11:18 PM

County Court judges work on "all probability" when insurance companies can't agree on fault. They would view the video as further evidence.
In my case the video proves i was stationary and that the the car hit me. It shows the driver getting out and clearly hears her apologising for hitting me.
The format for the video is asd. This is un-editable and with the gps timeline would show jumps in the clock anyway

[Edited on 3/11/2009 by nitram38]

Ninehigh - 7/11/09 at 07:19 PM

Do you get money off insurance with them knowing you have that installed? I remember one that had a drive fitted under the seat so you could record days of footage at a time

nitram38 - 8/11/09 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Do you get money off insurance with them knowing you have that installed? I remember one that had a drive fitted under the seat so you could record days of footage at a time

I didn't tell them because I want to only use the camera to my benefit. If I disclosed it, they would certainly demand evidence if they gave me a discount.
One thing is for sure. I had £300 compulsory excess because I live in London but they waived it because the other driver is insured and I have video evidence to support my claim.
My insurance company said it was a pretty cut and dried case because I was stationary and the woman driver shouldn't have been on the chevrons.

mistergrumpy - 15/11/09 at 04:32 PM

Just to add to this thread. I am quite impressed by the T-Eye and have been watching Ebay for any used ones to appear but they haven't been and today after arsing around with my brothers broken Audi all weekend I've gone to my Astra and someones gone and scraped the back corner of the bumper and got off without telling me So my order will be going in for a T Eye I think.

DM - 19/11/09 at 01:58 PM

nice gadget - might get myself one for protection against insurance comanies!

a neighbour bumped into my car recently - he apologised admitting blame and of course his insurance company tried to settle knock for knock... I successfully argued that given where the incident / damage occured, I would have to have been driving my car side-ways to have been at fault.

ultimately the whole thing was paid out by his insurer - and despite protected NCB my premium went up because I'd "made a claim". Go figure....