Board logo

OMG! Are we in the middle ages or something? How the hell can these things be sold legally?
BenB - 22/1/10 at 03:06 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8471187.stm

40k for a piece of wire and a card.
If the consequences of the device failure weren't so tragic I'd so good luck to the blatant con artist.

balidey - 22/1/10 at 03:09 PM

Jesus H Christ on a stick.

quote:

The training manual for the device says it can even, with the right card, detect elephants, humans and 100 dollar bills.

Did no one think of inserting the 'Will this detect a bomb detector' card

BenB - 22/1/10 at 03:11 PM

Elephants really aren't that hard to detect. They kind of stand out.

smart51 - 22/1/10 at 03:13 PM

I almost wish I had the brass neck needed to peddle utter bullshit so convincingly.

balidey - 22/1/10 at 03:14 PM

Are you cheating? I bet you used an elephant detector didn't you

Are we going to be on the receiving end of retaliation now? Not like Iraqis to hold a grudge is it?

snakebelly - 22/1/10 at 03:15 PM

send him to Iraq to work on a high risk checkpoint for a year or two i reckon

Jasper - 22/1/10 at 03:15 PM

Scroll down till you get to the picture of the arsehole selling them, he looks like Ming the Merciless with those eyebrows!!!

whitestu - 22/1/10 at 03:21 PM

Who would pay £40k for one without some evidence it worked though?

iank - 22/1/10 at 03:24 PM

Knowing desperate people really want to believe is the basis of all successful conmen, and has worked since the time people started to walk upright.

Personally I hope some squadie who's had a mate die at a checkpoint goes and has a chat with him.

[Edited on 22/1/10 by iank]

chrsgrain - 22/1/10 at 03:25 PM

That is tragic, surely there must be something that pillock can be prosecuted under.... it does sort of explain how all the bombs are getting past the checkpoints.... unbelievable..

Chris

A1 - 22/1/10 at 03:35 PM

you can spot a mile off its a complete con. like said, whod pay 40k for something that far fetched without asking to see a demonstration? jeez

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/1/10 at 03:36 PM

wonder if paypal will refund the buyer....... And what kind of neg feedback will he get.......

On a more serious note it could be worse if they find out he is a jewish double agent working for mossad.

tegwin - 22/1/10 at 03:37 PM

Good on him.... if he can proffit from other peoples stupidity... why not..

A fool and his money...etc...

BenB - 22/1/10 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

An innocent bystander and his life etc etc?

David Jenkins - 22/1/10 at 03:44 PM

I believe that dowsing may work when looking for water or similar - as long as it isn't taken too seriously. In normal use the biggest risk is embarrassment, or a few hours wasted digging or hole-boring.

It should never - EVER - be used in situations where life and limb are at risk (as here) or risking peoples' health (as in so-called medical diagnosis).

That seller needs to be investigated - and the Home Office and Afghan government need a stiff talking to about evaluating products!

[Edited on 22/1/10 by David Jenkins]

MikeR - 22/1/10 at 03:54 PM

I think this works on the idea that if you're carrying a bomb and go through a check point you're likely to farting like a trooper and sweating like ..... (can't think of something here)!

The iraq squadies realise this and woohoo the device has found another bomb.

The high price and training make the iraq squaddies believe that it works, this will filter out to everyone else and the myth surround it will be perpetuated.

If it wasn't so tragic it would be almost a good idea. (i don't believe our squaddies are using this - if they are the squaddies on the way to give the bloke a good kicking need to call in via Westminster and practice a bit).

adithorp - 22/1/10 at 04:07 PM

6000 units sold worldwide @ $40000 each... = $240million!!!
You can kind of see why, when you've spent that sort of money on snake oil, you're not going to admit it doesn't work... or when you're the one selling them.

Enough of that... Now then, I've got this new high-tech cloth that only clever people can see. Would you like a new suit, sir?

adrian

Bluemoon - 22/1/10 at 04:32 PM

Take a read of

http://www.justnet.org/Lists/JUSTNET%20Resources/Attachments/440/moleeval_apr02.pdf

And this was published in 2002, I would suggest the security forces where more than ware of this, (if I can find it with google!!)...

Dan

[Edited on 22/1/10 by Bluemoon]

Bluemoon - 22/1/10 at 04:33 PM

Apparently he was offered $1m to do a test to prove it worked, he declined.

As people have noted, having a "device" that supposedly work could be important, if the other side believes it.

It's a bit like the current supposedly increased security at airports ect at the moment, this will make it appear more difficult, and make Jo public feel safer, but if someone want's do actually do something chances are they will not be caught. Also the visible nature of the security will make any possible terrorists etc nervous and hence easier to spot... Smoke an mirrors can be very useful when used correctly...

Dan

Liam - 22/1/10 at 04:49 PM

Careful - we'd better all be careful what mean, unfriendly things we say about that device or the people who sell it (whether true or not), otherwise we'll be successfully sued for libel. Hooray for the british justice system

Liam

adithorp - 22/1/10 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Careful - we'd better all be careful what mean, unfriendly things we say about that device or the people who sell it (whether true or not), otherwise we'll be successfully sued for libel. Hooray for the british justice system

Liam

There's is only one defance against libel; That what you wrote was true. So unless this thing does work, it's not libel. Don't try and make this into some un-justifiable anti-UK rant... thats the Daily Mails job.

McLannahan - 22/1/10 at 05:08 PM

Looks like he's been arrested recently?

According to WikiPedia anyway - hardly cast iron reading but encouraging!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE-651

scootz - 22/1/10 at 05:20 PM

'kin 'ell...

You expect this sort of cack from the Far East, but Made in the UK???

MikeRJ - 22/1/10 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

You can't possibly mean this? A bit harsh when you consider that the cretin flogging this utter crap is actually costing peoples lives. I really hope he goes to jail for this.

Mark Allanson - 22/1/10 at 06:06 PM

When in the Navy, on boarding parties, we had a device which could detect drugs, or explosives on a person. You just waved it around the suspect and watched their eyes.

It was made from a small car battery charger, a length of washer tube and a broken microphone. Total tosh, but when used with confidence and innocent person would be mildly irritated by its use, but a guilty person would sweat, tremble etc

Sound familiar?

gregs - 22/1/10 at 07:13 PM

Quote from wiki:

"We have been dealing with doubters for ten years. One of the problems we have is that the machine does look a little primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights."

Well that'll help then....

BenB - 22/1/10 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gregs
Quote from wiki:

"We have been dealing with doubters for ten years. One of the problems we have is that the machine does look a little primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights."

Well that'll help then....

that's hilarious!

Confused but excited. - 22/1/10 at 08:04 PM

As a gesture of goodwill, we should give him to the Iraqis, to use his device to clear mine fields.

Liam - 22/1/10 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by Liam

Liam

There's is only one defance against libel; That what you wrote was true. So unless this thing does work, it's not libel. Don't try and make this into some un-justifiable anti-UK rant... thats the Daily Mails job.

Well it was just tongue in cheek really, but it's certainly not unjustified by any stretch of the imagination. Going by a particular recent precedent, all one would have to do is state that this guy 'happily promotes bogus technology' in order to be successfully convicted of libel. UK libel law is enough of a disaster without the Daily Mail ranting about it. But now I'm going a bit OT.

Liam

Dangle_kt - 22/1/10 at 09:30 PM

thats really bad. I wonder if he has been giving back handers to officials over there, why would they defend him, unless they were getting their pockets lined?

I hope natural justice is done at some point to this con artist.

norfolkluego - 22/1/10 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chrsgrain
That is tragic, surely there must be something that pillock can be prosecuted under.... it does sort of explain how all the bombs are getting past the checkpoints.... unbelievable..

Chris

Nah! Stick him on the next plane out to Afghanistan and get him to explain himself to the lads out there

spiderman01980 - 22/1/10 at 10:33 PM

I have the same device with bullsIIit card in it and its detecting bullsIIit seems to work fine lol maybe the guy should make a bin ladden card that would be worth a few bob!

gazza285 - 22/1/10 at 11:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spiderman01980
bin ladden

Who he?

spiderman01980 - 22/1/10 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
bin ladden

Who he?

most wanted terrorist leader by the U.S.A!!!

gazza285 - 23/1/10 at 12:40 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
bin ladden

Who he?

most wanted terrorist leader by the U.S.A!!!

Laden?

iank - 23/1/10 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Looks like he's been arrested recently?

According to WikiPedia anyway - hardly cast iron reading but encouraging!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE-651

BBC are reporting the same story now.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476381.stm

If I were a senior politician in Iraq I'd be calling for his extradition about now.

MakeEverything - 23/1/10 at 11:00 AM

think he should be prosecuted under the Terrorism Act for providing anti terrorism devices that blatantly would never work, to the detriment of allied forces, and benefit of terrorism.

Never mind sending him to Afghanistan, just ship him out to Terrorist Prison like the rest of the murdering scumbags.

Ninehigh - 24/1/10 at 08:46 AM

Maybe he should make a "Crap driver" card so the police can leave us all alone to drive 1mph over the limit and smoke a cigarette