Board logo

Anybody else a bit excited ????
Jasper - 11/6/10 at 01:24 PM

I'm not a big football fan but do love a bit of World Cup. So is anybody else settling down to watch the first game, hopefully with a beer in hand?

Got my placed booked at my mates beach bar tomorrow night in Brighton for the big first game

Have to say I think it's a great idea to have it in SA, brings a lot of good investment to a much in need country.

FFTS - 11/6/10 at 01:26 PM

NO!!!!

It's football

coozer - 11/6/10 at 01:28 PM

No. Only thing I'm getting excited about is Newark next weekend.

Thought the first big game was tonight?

smart51 - 11/6/10 at 01:30 PM

No.

drury318 - 11/6/10 at 01:32 PM

No!

Daddylonglegs - 11/6/10 at 01:35 PM

No,

F1 practice in 25 mins.....

[Edited on 11/6/10 by Daddylonglegs]

Daddylonglegs - 11/6/10 at 01:36 PM

yes, 2 lads, (well young men now actually) one's mad on footy, the other loves rugby (as I do), your point being?

coozer - 11/6/10 at 01:37 PM

Err, yes I do, somewhere....

Gordy - 11/6/10 at 01:46 PM

Yeh, but how many times will 1966 be mentioned in commentry

Madinventions - 11/6/10 at 01:50 PM

Definitely no kids, and a passionate disinterest in all things 'football'. TBH, I'm fed up with the world cup and it hasn't even started yet (has it?) I'll be glad when it's all over.

Ed.

Irony - 11/6/10 at 01:51 PM

Noooo! I always thought that football was something for people to do who don't have or are in-between hobbies!

I am more excited about Newark Autojumble this weekend than I am about the world cup.

speedyxjs - 11/6/10 at 01:54 PM

Nope. Will be avoiding it at all costs

TimC - 11/6/10 at 01:54 PM

Wow - its like Grumpy Old Men in here!

Vivre et laisser vivre!

Madinventions - 11/6/10 at 01:58 PM

I've found that if I mention that I just don't particularly like football or children, then many people (particularly football fans or parents) somehow think that makes me a bit 'odd'...

'Laisser vivre...' - I totally agree!

Ho hum.

[Edited on 11/6/10 by Madinventions]

contaminated - 11/6/10 at 01:58 PM

Well I'll be going to a combined Football/Le Mans do with a dozen others. Can't wait

blue2cv - 11/6/10 at 01:59 PM

No engine, not interested

CRAIGR - 11/6/10 at 01:59 PM

Excited !! Has Rossi's leg healed already ?? Then hell yes.
Oh you mean letsrollaboutonthefloorandpretendtobeinjueredball nah no excitement there.

[Edited on 11/6/10 by CRAIGR]

David Jenkins - 11/6/10 at 02:01 PM

I wish them the very best... but I won't be watching.

MikeR - 11/6/10 at 02:02 PM

I've got my jobs done, i'm sat with a pint by my side, Sky in HD mode, the dog asleep at my feet......

Bring on the footy!!!!

(ok, i lie about the jobs done, i've done only done the washing and hung it out - i'll get a bollocking when the g/f gets home).

Saw Mexico play England the other week - suspect they'll take South Africa but hope SA edge it in a 4-3 thriller.

Bluemoon - 11/6/10 at 02:03 PM

No not interested but yes because the roads will be empty....

r1_pete - 11/6/10 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
No not interested but yes because the roads will be empty....

Thats a good point, now is it Bike or Jag??

Certainly wont be glued to the TV watching 22 blokes chasing a blown up sheeps bladder

big_wasa - 11/6/10 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FFTS
NO!!!!

It's football

I am with ya on that one

more excited about the next kitcar show

[Edited on 11/6/10 by big_wasa]

Danozeman - 11/6/10 at 02:18 PM

No I hate football weather it be world cup or not.. They get paid far too much so its not a sport.

If they were aloud to beat each other up while they played i may be a bit more interested or if they used cars instead of there feet.

I dont understand how 22 men kicking a ball about some grass then all showering together can be fun. Its like watching a wall after youv painted it.

[Edited on 11/6/10 by Danozeman]

locoR1 - 11/6/10 at 02:19 PM

Im realy excited ..... Looking forward to a good blat on empty roads, Then Newark next weekend

Cant see the point in a load of over payed men kicking a bag of wind round a bit of grass!

bi22le - 11/6/10 at 02:22 PM

I like all sports so yes.
It also brings alot of people together and pride back to the nation. I like seeing all of the flags about, people being proud to be British and having something in common with unknown others.

It is quite entertaining, but overall im Rugby and Motorsport!

Unfortunatly I dont have Sky though so miss most of the interesting stuff!!

cd.thomson - 11/6/10 at 02:25 PM

i like talking to new people but there is one question they can ask (or variations on a theme) that is a complete conversation killer:

"Did you watch the game?"

Has anyone seen the IT crowd bit where the lads get mixed up with some unfavourables after being drawn into a really awkward conversation about football?

Mr G - 11/6/10 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Unfortunatly I dont have Sky though so miss most of the interesting stuff!!

No sky required

Loads of sites on the internet that have links to free streams of all the sporting events you could shake a stick at...for free!

Daddylonglegs - 11/6/10 at 02:28 PM

I'll probably watch the England games with the boys and a beer but I have a feeling I won't be watching too many games

Still, "come on England" and all that. I know I should be more patriotic but hey ho.....

Jasper - 11/6/10 at 02:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I've got my jobs done, i'm sat with a pint by my side, Sky in HD mode, the dog asleep at my feet......

Bring on the footy!!!!

(ok, i lie about the jobs done, i've done only done the washing and hung it out - i'll get a bollocking when the g/f gets home).

Saw Mexico play England the other week - suspect they'll take South Africa but hope SA edge it in a 4-3 thriller.

Just you and me then Mike !!

Charlie_Zetec - 11/6/10 at 02:39 PM

Professional football is like a pack of Andrew toilet paper; long and drawn out, full of softness, and generally overpriced (wages and entrance fees etc.)

Give me a jolly good game of rugby any day! The international stars take a beating, go off for stitches to proper war wounds, then carry on playing. No "magic sponge/water" and sure as hell no backchat - all in all a much more disciplined game.

As was once quoted "football is a gentlemans game played by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen". Very much the truth.

clairetoo - 11/6/10 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Wow - its like Grumpy Old Men in here!

Vivre et laisser vivre!

And me too

Ivan - 11/6/10 at 03:21 PM

Not at all interested in rugby or football normally - but there is such a fantastic vibe in South Africa that you can't help but be swept up by it. Vuvuzellas are going throughout the country - every truck, LDV and taxi passing gives you a blast plus many of one's more staid neighbours as well - this is one of the few occasions I have ever felt a country so united to one cause so all power to the world cup.

So have the TV on but not the sound and am checking progress.

Even I have a SA flag on my car - and that's not me at all - anyway it's the best flag in the world

splitrivet - 11/6/10 at 03:36 PM

Miserable bunch of buggers, Im not into football by any stretch but do enjoy the buzz of the world cup. If England do well the entire country feels lifted, shame it normally ends in us being blown away.
Cheers,
Bob

FFTS - 11/6/10 at 03:45 PM

Its played on grass!!!
They cheat!
They are more interested in celeb image.
they fake being hurt!
They marry gold digging orange slappers!
Maybe if they cut out the running up and down and the passing when they get scared someone will take their rubber ball off them, then just do the kicky bits into the net then I may watch for 5 mins.

YES!! I am a grumpy old man... so what hahaha

[Edited on 11/6/10 by FFTS]

The Knobs - 11/6/10 at 03:59 PM

Cant wait to cheer on england, anything that involves england against johny foreigner is good by me. Will be watching the next game in Anglesey and the following one in france, all while trackdaying, does it get any better ?

Madinventions - 11/6/10 at 04:33 PM

Nope - the 'buzz' of the world cup just gives me a headache, and the more I get told I should like it - the more I hate it. I got told I was 'being unpatriotic' earlier because someone suggested I put a silly plastic flag on my kit and I suggested some alternative uses for it that they might like to contemplate.

Football - pah.

Ed.

40inches - 11/6/10 at 05:02 PM

Football? Yuk! My 15 year old son is fanatical, even has a season ticket Where did I go wrong?

Humbug - 11/6/10 at 05:07 PM

No (interest)
Yes ("children" - 18 and 20)

fazerruss - 11/6/10 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv
No engine, not interested

totally agree

MikeRJ - 11/6/10 at 06:45 PM

Hopefully the drunken scum...sorry, excited football fans..we had four years ago kick the sides of cars all the way down the street won't be making an appearance this year. Not holding my breath though.

Benzine - 11/6/10 at 06:50 PM

I don't like football at all really except the world cup. I'm excited ^___^

NigeEss - 11/6/10 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Its like watching a wall after youv painted it.

[Edited on 11/6/10 by Danozeman]

I'd actually prefer doing that

Fred W B - 12/6/10 at 04:52 PM

I was previously so not a football fan, but as Ivan said above here you can't help but be swept up in the current excitement. It's doing great things for SA. Previously rugby was white and soccer was black. Now all are united. The two biggest rugby teams in SA played the super forteen final in the heart of Soweto a week ago, and now this. I'm converted.

Going to a pub now to watch England/USA.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/6/10 by Fred W B]

Ninehigh - 12/6/10 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gordy
Yeh, but how many times will 1966 be mentioned in commentry

Oh just wait until the Sun realises Argentina is in it too. Not too fussed about the "Hand of God" gubbins seeing as we can't shut up about 1966 (was over 40 years ago ffs!) but it's referring to them as "Argies" that does my head in.