Board logo

Big downloads
Mark Allanson - 26/5/04 at 06:45 PM

I'm like a kid with a new toy, I've just got broadband. Problem is, when on dial up there were loads of interesting things to download, but I could not get them. Now I can, I can't find anything

Anyone recommend and good LARGE downloads, movies, CAD programs etc so I go off and play?

Thanks
Mark

flak monkey - 26/5/04 at 06:49 PM

Go to the fluke motorsport website and download their vids

They are about 30mb or so each

Enjoy your new toy....bb is great

Cheers,
David

scoobyis2cool - 26/5/04 at 06:50 PM

Movies - I'd recommend Office Space, not at all car related I know but such a good film, especially if you've ever worked in an office. Be warned though, if you currently work in an office and you don't really enjoy it, this will probably push you over the edge and you won't have a job come the weekend

Pete

scoobyis2cool - 26/5/04 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkeyEnjoy your new toy....bb is great

Judging by your avatar we can all see what you use broadband for...

(Not that I'm complaining of course!)

Pete

flak monkey - 26/5/04 at 07:02 PM

How dare you suggest such a thing,....im shocked....

not

chris.russell - 26/5/04 at 07:04 PM

where is a good place to "cough cough" download movies?

flak monkey - 26/5/04 at 07:09 PM

Havent a clue what you are going on about.....

scoobyis2cool - 26/5/04 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris.russell
where is a good place to "cough cough" download movies?

Kazaa is a good program to use (www.kazaa.com), the only downside is it does pop up adverts, but you can find pretty much anything on there. Kazaa Lite is even better but for some reason that's stopped working for me now

Pete

Chris_R - 26/5/04 at 07:13 PM

eMule is peer to peer software that lets you download files from other peoples pc's. You can sometimes get movies before they're released and you can get software. Of course it's not entirely leagal and I wouldn't do such things. I definately wouldn't suggest downloading it from http://www.emule-project.net/

Chris_R - 26/5/04 at 07:17 PM

Oh, and there's no adverts with eMule, so I'm told.

Peteff - 26/5/04 at 07:24 PM

If you just want to try it out for a laugh go on Atomfilms and watch Angry Kid. There's a new series out.

N*E*R*D - 26/5/04 at 07:27 PM

Red Vs Blue

is a realy good web series
big downloads
www.redvsblue.com

JoelP - 26/5/04 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
Kazaa Lite is even better but for some reason that's stopped working for me now

Pete

i used to use kazaa lite but realised the downloads are often hoaxs, full of viruses or simple not working. Maybe music industry attempts to ruin sharing platforms? i gave up anyway.

ps did you know that the original kazaa was a scam to steal processor power?!

[Edited on 26/5/04 by JoelP]

scoobyis2cool - 26/5/04 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

ps did you know that the original kazaa was a scam to steal processor power?!

No I didn't know that, who was trying to steal it and why? Is there an address i can write to to get mine back?

Pete

JoelP - 26/5/04 at 07:37 PM

lol, funny guy!

something in the original version included a download that would let someone access your computer and use its processor to do sums. The idea was that the dude who wrote it could make a fortune selling processing power. not sure if it ever got up and running though. i read that somewhere whilst getting kazaa lite. tried to find it just now but there are too many references to kazaa lite getting shut down by kazaa for copyright infringement, of all the absurd thing!

stephen_gusterson - 26/5/04 at 07:40 PM

405 - the movie

if you have never seen this, you gotta download it.

The site describes how the movie was made - its only about 3 mins long, but i think its great

http://www.405themovie.com/download405.asp

Benzine - 26/5/04 at 07:45 PM

Kazaa is full of spyware, kazaa lite is better but i can never find anything on it. Overnet is good but by far and away the best is DC++. Only problem is that it isn't very user friendly, you need to know where to look etc.

stephen_gusterson - 26/5/04 at 07:50 PM

my mate at work (a software techy) swears by this site

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

he downloaded the entire top 40 album chart as a single 2gb file recently

atb

steve

Hellfire - 26/5/04 at 08:36 PM

I've been advised that http://suprnova.org is the best place to look - updated every 20 minutes.

It takes a while to view but that's cos it's new every 20 minutes!!!

[Edited on 26-5-04 by Hellfire]

gjn200 - 26/5/04 at 09:05 PM

I would never go here and use this to download movies

Mr G - 26/5/04 at 11:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gjn200
I would never go here and use this to download movies

mmmm no neither would I!!!

Bittorrent (im using the ABC client - excellent software) & suprnova all the way i'm affraid (124k download speeds )

p.s - The novelty wears off

G

Peteff - 27/5/04 at 09:19 AM

Bittorrent in conjunction with burst on mine. You'll need divx for a lot of the downloads, just get the free codec.
http://www.divx.com/divx/

ChrisW - 27/5/04 at 09:27 AM

I definatly don't recommend eDonkey or eMule (clone using the same network). ahem.

Chris

Mark Allanson - 27/5/04 at 06:56 PM

Chris,

I'm still working on some data, hopefully there will be an update in the system, and the old disc may get lost!

billy - 27/5/04 at 09:54 PM

im sorry but i ALWAYS buy all my software cos they all need the cash, lol

Mr G - 12/6/04 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by billy
im sorry but i ALWAYS buy all my software cos they all need the cash, lol

greggors84 - 12/6/04 at 05:23 PM

Thought i would try bittorrent. Im using it with suprnova but i cant get fast download speeds. Max i can get is 10kb/s on 1meg broadband.
Does 'seeds' mean how many people are hosting the file?

Mr G - 12/6/04 at 05:45 PM

There needs to be a fair few people seeding (sharing the file) for you to get decent download speeds. Another problem may be your firewall if your using one.

There are forums to help people sort out thier settings - both the bittorrent software and the firewall software.

Its worth doing a search and finiding how to set it up properly & optimise it.

Still at the end of the day if there is only 1 person sharing it and they have capped thier upload at 3k a second then thats all you'll get