Board logo

national insurance contributions
tony-devon - 27/9/10 at 11:33 AM

Greetings, was wondering if anyone on here might be able to shed some light on something the wife and I need to sort

wife was working, but due to real bad pregnancy she had to give up work.

once baby was born she looked found a new job and we paid for fulltime childcare, was often more than she earnt LOL, but hey ho, that job ended and she was at home for a while

anyway when daughter started school 2 years ago, she started to look for work, but trying to find a job that fitted with school drop off and pick up etc was hard

so she hasnt been working, BUT she isnt signing on or claiming any benfits etc, we just get the normal child benefit and thats it

recently I realised she isnt paying any national insurance benefits office told her to sign on and they pay it as well as pay her money, but wife said she isnt looking for work at the moment so surely that would be fraud?

how do we find out how much NI she needs to pay each week/month, and how do we pay it?

mrwibble - 27/9/10 at 11:52 AM

direct.gov.uk i would guess. i thought the rules changed recently something to do with the gov recognising parenting is a job...

speed8 - 27/9/10 at 11:57 AM

Is paying NI actually worth anything these days?

Only asking as I opted out years ago when I started working overseas. I'm not entirely up on what you're paying for.

big-vee-twin - 27/9/10 at 12:08 PM

My missus finished studying a degree this summer, she whet to the job centre to sign on and make herself available for work.

They told her she wasnt eligible for any benefits because she haddent paid in enough NI - She obviously argued she had been at university as a mature student and before then she had a teaching job.

She is not eligable for any benefits - so early signs of the new benefits system??

So I think there is good a reason to get your stamp paid for. May assist in the future when you need help.

tony-devon - 27/9/10 at 12:14 PM

yes thats precisely the reason why I have told her to get it sorted

the irony is that she cant claim benefits as she hasnt paid NI for about 2 years, however if your unemplyed and claiming hundreds per month/week, they pay it for you DOH

ashg - 27/9/10 at 02:10 PM

i think you can get away with as little as £12 a week if your not working may have gone up in the last 5 years but thats what i recall paying