Board logo

New in here. Hello!
Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 01:55 PM

Hi everyone!
I've just joined here after a recommendation from someone on another site.
I hope this is the correct section for saying hello as I couldn't see anywhere obvious for newbies.

Anyway, My name's Mark from Northumberland and the main reason I've joined is, I've owned a Global GT Light (R1 engined racecar) since the beginning of the year and have been searching for sources of info since then. You can google it or youtube it if you haven't heard of a one. It's been a steep learning curve, plagued by breakdowns, smashed driveshafts, overheating, etc. I'm on the right track now but still have some learning to do!

Anyway, I hope everyone's having a good xmas and I'll no doubt be pestering the BEC lads sometime soon, as I have a bit of work to do over the winter.

Cheers! Mark.

richard thomas - 26/12/10 at 02:04 PM

Welcome Mark, it's a nice crowd on here - all the info you could want from the gang, found it invaluable during my build!!

Cheers, Rich.

Ivan - 26/12/10 at 02:16 PM

Welcome - I'm sure you will get many answers to your questions although it's quiet on here today.

Nice car by the way - must be fun to drive - what does it weigh?

Richard Quinn - 26/12/10 at 02:17 PM

Welcome. Lots of useful info and some smart people on here. As a BEC owner you'll get some banter from the CEC boys / girls but it's only because they're jealous really

RazMan - 26/12/10 at 02:25 PM

Hi Mark and welcome to the best forum on the Planet.
One word of advice, just ignore the BEC guys as they are mostly poorly informed deluded individuals but quite harmless really.
OMG an R1 engined car you say??

thunderace - 26/12/10 at 02:29 PM

Hi Mark and welcome

always do a search befor posting a problem !

lewis - 26/12/10 at 02:32 PM

Welcome,any pics? Sounds like a nice car.

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 02:44 PM

Thanks Lads,
yeah I thought it would be quiet in here at the moment. The Girlfriend's in bed ill so I'm dividing my time between the internet and sorting our boiler (don't ask!).

Ivan, my car weighs 390KG without driver. The Globals used to have their own race series (still going in Ireland), in which they ran with Yamaha Thundercat 600cc engines. They then went to 1000cc carbed engines (I have the R1 bike with this in). My car now runs the Injected engine. Quoted 172BHP although bike manufacturer power figures can be a little optomistic sometimes. It's de-catted and has the power commander along with a flatshifter.

Great fun, but constantly overheated when I first used it. I tried everything and went through about 3 of the plastic booster water pumps (everytime it overheated it ate one)! In the end I stuck the spare engine in as I figured it must be head-gasket (even though no oil in water, or vice-versa) as the coolant system just kept pressurising.
It's been fine since but, I've since read about the need for baffle plates, etc. So that's the plan over the winter. New dash, clutch, gauges(inc. sandwich plate for senders) and a few other mods.

RazMan - Very good.

Thunderace - Yeah I learnt to search for things first, over on P'heads. You get shown the error of your ways quite quickly in there.

Lewis - I have one or two pics I'll try and post. Do I link to a hosting site such as Photobucket, to post in here?

[Edited on 26/12/10 by Marky911]

mangogrooveworkshop - 26/12/10 at 02:58 PM

Oh yes MR RAZMAN

One word of advice, just ignore the BEC guys as they are mostly poorly informed deluded individuals but quite harmless really.

Really mate ... ...........meow.

To the new bike engined member welcome

To sort your over heating problems contact Andy Bates AB performance and Malcolm Curr of Yorkshire engines.
They are both members here and between them have more knowledge about bike engines than anyone we know.

have a look at the videos to get your spirits up Really mate ... http://www.streetfire.net/video/high-passes-of-scotland_2181995.htm

[Edited on 27-12-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Chaddy - 26/12/10 at 03:05 PM

Welcome Mark, got to say this has been the best site for info for my build, if it isn't on here it proberbly hasn't happened or been thought of in the kit car world.

Cheers
Dave

lewis - 26/12/10 at 03:20 PM

Yes mate just link from photobucket as usual or you can link from your photo archive.

daviep - 26/12/10 at 04:28 PM

Hi Mark

Global GT LIght is a nice basic car, I used to help with the maintenance of one about ten years ago.

Are you running with a 600cc or 1000cc engine?

Regards
Davie

EDIT: Sorry just noticed you stated it was R1 powered. We were still running the thundercat engine the last time I had anything to do with it.

[Edited on 26/12/10 by daviep]

coozer - 26/12/10 at 05:30 PM

Welcome Mark, where abouts are you in Northumberland?

Wouldn't mind coming up to have a look at your car.

Regards,
Steve

gavin174 - 26/12/10 at 05:58 PM

hello and welcome

this is eddie99's R1 powered global..

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=142317

he is planning to race in 750MC this year, but is also having a few teething problems with it.

lotusmadandy - 26/12/10 at 06:10 PM

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum.
Where are you in northumberland?

Andy

Daddylonglegs - 26/12/10 at 06:26 PM

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. You'll certainly find most of the answers on here you are looking for.

Get some pics up into the archive

JB

MikeR - 26/12/10 at 06:32 PM

Welcome - my tip is ignore the search function on here and use google.

To force google to search this site type in your search terms then add site=www.locostbuilders.co.uk.

Somewhere on here there is some code to add locostbuilders as a default search site, but i can't remember where it is.

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 06:46 PM

Hi lads,
thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm a Cramlington lad but, have been living on South Beach, Blyth for the last couple of years with the girlfriend. Anyone local is welcome to pop round for a cuppa and a neb. It's nothing particularly special mind but, I like it.

That Global looks nicely turned out. I wish him luck with the racing. Mine's trackdays only at the minute. They're twitchy buggers mind with the solid rear axle. I notice that his still has Avon slicks in the photos. He wants to get it off them (they're cross-plys, plies?) and get it onto radials. I've got the Avons on mine and don't rate them. Mind you, mine are hards. They're OK in the height of summer, etc, but I've been told radials are in a different league. I've got 4 Michelins in the garage, to go on for the spring (med/softs).

They are a simple car, yes. I think the cooling system is the weakest leak as the rad sits almost horizontal.

I've spent the last hour or so looking for my disc of pics and can't find it. I've even sat and loaded the driver disc I got with my mobile phone, as I have a photo on the phone. Sat and installed the disc, plugged phone in and it doesn't recognise the phone's even there! Great.

I'll get some up soon though.

ETA - Thanks for the tip Mike. I'll try that.

[Edited on 26/12/10 by Marky911]

gavin174 - 26/12/10 at 06:50 PM

the main problem Ed has is the gearbox....

currently uprating it to a 5JJ, which i believe is stronger

scootz - 26/12/10 at 06:57 PM

Hiya Marky!

The Global Gt is a cracking looking little car... I've been tempted on a few occasions!

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 07:18 PM

OK, found my disc...
Hope this works..

These were taken at my first trackday back in March. You'll notice I'm leaning in the 3rd pic. The header tank is mounted behind my right shoulder, on the rear bulkhead. It's under the join of the mid and rear bodywork. The cooling system pressurised and spewed red hot coolant down my back and neck. I'm guessing this shot was taken just after.

Learnt a valuable lesson that day. Never travel miles to drive a car you haven't tested yet! Done 5 laps when my problems started. Hey-ho. I've stuck to Teesside Autodrome since, until I trust the cars reliability.

Last one is not really relevant to this site but, that's what I'm into as well as trackdays.

scootz - 26/12/10 at 07:19 PM

That looks like a hoot!

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 07:22 PM

It's great....

When it works.

scootz - 26/12/10 at 07:26 PM

What track were those taken at?

gavin174 - 26/12/10 at 07:30 PM

what seat you using..

you are sitting very high..

and looks like you bloking the air intake to the engine

locost750mc - 26/12/10 at 07:31 PM

Repost down below :O

[Edited on 26/12/10 by locost750mc]

locost750mc - 26/12/10 at 07:31 PM

Looks brill! And the track looks like the ever famous cadwell park.

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 07:31 PM

Cadwell Park, Lincolnshire. Awesome track. My favourite although, I'm yet to do Oulton Park, which my mates say will be my new favourite.
It's a £400 day out though from where I live. Petrol in towcar + racecar, hotel the night before and the trackday itself to pay for. Not goo when you do a few laps and head home by lunchtime.

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locost750mc
Looks brill! And the track looks like the ever famous cadwell park.

Yeah Cadwell of course! Was posting while you did.

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gavin174
what seat you using..

you are sitting very high..

and looks like you bloking the air intake to the engine

Ha! Yeah I know.
I'm 6ft 1inch, so that's where I stick out to. Seat is mounted right on the floor beams and quite far forward so I can slide down into it as low as possible. Using the original Global GT seat (has it embroided in), much like a kart seat.
Not sure If I'll block the intake. Maybe partially, obviously, but seems OK.

Steve Hignett - 26/12/10 at 07:40 PM

Cadwell, but I bet that's been said already! (on my phone in hotel with not much signal!)

Hi mark, lots of Info here especially if you ask tje right sort of questions!

As for your mates Oulton recommendation, they are right!

Drop me a line If you do go there, I work 1 mile away making cf for race bikes and race cars

Marky911 - 26/12/10 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Cadwell, but I bet that's been said already! (on my phone in hotel with not much signal!)

Hi mark, lots of Info here especially if you ask tje right sort of questions!

As for your mates Oulton recommendation, they are right!

Drop me a line If you do go there, I work 1 mile away making cf for race bikes and race cars

Will do Steve. My mates race in the LMA (arrowpak now) eurosaloons and love that track. I usually do trackdays with them until March but, after that they're racing all year.

PS. I like what you're building there, built one myself, many moons ago.

Right, off to watch Topgear. Yeah it's rubbish but, it's better than no car programs being on.

daviep - 26/12/10 at 11:29 PM

With regard to cooling, our first mod was to panel in around the rad to ensure all airflow went through the rad. I'm sure this has probably already been done if the car has been raced previously.

The main problem was getting the cooling system bled properly, we used to find that jacking the front of the car up would help with bleeding, we also used to run the bike coolant pump in addition to the electric pump.

Davie

daniel mason - 27/12/10 at 12:05 PM

does one of the injected R1's not need a seperate cooling modification? i am sure i heard of a few problems from the R1 engined boys on here!
also there is a few guys on here with the global GT.

Stuart_B - 27/12/10 at 05:21 PM

hi mark and welcome, the global gt are nice cars, i do like the red.

cheers

stuart

Marky911 - 27/12/10 at 10:49 PM

Evening chaps, been working all day.

Hi Stuart. Thanks, the red does look OK but the car is supposed to be getting a new paint-scheme over the winter. Looking doubtful now though due to work and a house project.

Daniel, I'm actually looking at some sort of mod for the cooling system. I'm hoping to add some sort of small rad (even a heater matrix or something?) in one of the side ducts, to try and cool the water a bit before it gets to the booster pump, as these can only take temps upto 120deg, so any cooling issues usually result in a knackered pump. At £120 a pop it gets frustrating.

Davie, yeah they are fiddly to bleed. After filling the coolant system I usually just run the engine and booster pump for a few minutes with the header tank cap off. I then add the cap before it gets too hot, then after another few minutes I open the bleed screw (M6 bolt) on the front of the rad, incase there's any air in there. Seems OK like this.
I don't suppose you remember what sort of chain tension you were running on the Global you helped with, do you? I'm running about 20-25mm of up and down play at the slackest point of the chain. That's similar to a bike but a bikes swingarm drops and rises whereas my axle doesn't, so I'm thinking I can go a bit tighter?

Also, what's the best way to find any Global lads on here? a simple search?
I also can't see a readers cars sort of thread but, I could be missing the blatantly obvious?

Cheers lads.

Steve Hignett - 28/12/10 at 11:42 AM

The search function isn't this sites forte, doubt you'd find members with globals that easily...

Also, not sure who mentioned above that there were a few on here, I only know of one other that is built/being worked on, and that's already been mentioned; eddie99. But hes not on here as much nowadays as hes started college or maybe uni...

There have been plenty of R1's used in a variety of cars though, and lots on here.

All I can suggest is:

If you have a question, phrase the title well, include all info for a good answer, continue asking on same thread if similar topics need clarification and start a new thread if you have new questions!

Understand peoples opinions on here, which doesnt mean you have to apply their suggestions or even agree, just understanding Is agood start and after a fewonths you'll realise who's comments are worthy and who's are worth ignoring!

ATB
Steve

Marky911 - 29/12/10 at 09:23 AM

Hi Steve,
Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I try to be an active, helpful member on any forums I join. I usually start off as a pestering newby but take on board all I hear and usually end up helping others in return.
I'll always do a search first and if that doesn't help then, yes, I'll post nice and clearly.
One thing I don't do is troll or get into bickering. If I've got nothing helpful or friendly to say, I'll say nothing.
Cheers for that. I'm glad I've found this place. I've got loads of old threads to sift through too so it's helping my days at work fly by! Whilst doing a search I even stumbled across a pic of my car, before I bought it. Coincidence.
Cheers!

eddie99 - 29/12/10 at 03:34 PM

Looks like a good car, as above, i've got the carbed r1 in mine with some gearbox problems at the mo. Currently on holiday but at uni so not on the site as much as i want to be. If you have any questions u2u me and i tend to check on here once a day for messages

Unfortunately i've also not had the car long but plan on racing it this year in 750mc...

Good luck!

Ed

Marky911 - 29/12/10 at 04:37 PM

Ah, Eddie99, just the man! Thanks for popping on and saying hello. I'm guessing we're both on a steepish learning curve with these then. Me, more so, I'd imagine! coming from bikes and road cars.
Yours looks very well turned out.
There's quite a bit I want to do to mine before spring.
I'll deffo send you a message at some point with any queries you may know the answers to. Likewise get in touch with me if you think I may have experienced any probs you have.
One thing I'm trying to find out, not urgently but for my spares box, is what are the driveshafts off. I had a full length one (as in, off a road car) in my spares when I got it. When one sheared, common prob I think, with no diff, I machined a section out of it and have been using it all year. The Stub axle through to the wheel wasn't part of it though. This is off something else again. I was told the shafts are off a peugeot but don't know which model. The axle I haven't a clue about but, it has "QH" on it followed by some numbers, which is Quintin Hazel I think, so I'll google that, next time I've got it off.
You must be a busy man! Uni, ebay sales, and race-cars! Good luck with everything and I'll no doubt speak to you soon.
PS. one more thing. Please see my chain tension query earlier in the thread. How do you run yours?

eddie99 - 29/12/10 at 04:42 PM

Yep a very steep learning curve. Big difference from the kitcar where i've put the bits together so you know much more precisely what it is when it goes wrong as with this thing, its a lot harder....

Unsure exactly on driveshafts, could possibly be mini's. I know some of the bits on the car are off the mini. Give graham Hathaway a ring, he will know exactly and can probably get them for you.

daviep - 29/12/10 at 09:16 PM

Re chain tension:

We ran the chain with almost no slack but not tight either.

We also fitted extra stabilising bars to prevent the engine and cradle moving, when we recieved the car new the cradle was only fixed through the four bolts through the chassis. There were two braces from the cylinder head going forward and one from the top engine cradle above the gear box going backwards. These were made with LH and RH threaded rose joints, without them the engine would be pulled backwards and the chain would slacken very quickly.

Davie

Marky911 - 29/12/10 at 10:30 PM

Evenin' Davie,
yep that makes perfect sense, I had the engine in mine slide out of position when I first bought it. I milled some sections of flat bar to use as washers on the bottom 4 cradle bolts, as the old washers were very weedy and had curved into the slots in the cradle. It also has 2 upper side supports to the chassis from the cyl. head area and is bolted right through the rear of the engine onto a mounting plate that bolts up to chassis above. I've had no bother since.

I'll definately take up a bit more slack in the chain for next year then. I know how much chain tension affects the gear change on my bike so it's bound to do the same in the car.
Cheers!

Hi Ed,
yep I'll keep looking into those shafts, as we need them in our spares box. I've spoken to Graham about them but he says they are bespoke. His are, as the one that sheared on my car had no welding or sleeve in the centre of the shaft (unlike the one I made) but the other side did have and they both do now. He quoted about £125 for the solid centre part of the shaft but that didn't include the joints or anything. I'm thinking if I can get good peugeot (or whatever they turn out to be) ones for £30 from a breakers and these include the pot joints then that's a lot, lot easier on my wallet!

I'll let you know what they are off when I find out. I may try and get in touch with some of the Irish lads, as the championship is still running strong over there.

I've dealt with Graham quite a bit since buying mine in March and he is top bloke so I don't want to come across as if I'm trying to sneak around cutting costs, by cutting him out. I buy any parts I need from him, infact I'll be buying the newer style dashboard (like yours) in a week or two. I just know these shafts are off something else so I want to get some made up for the spares box.

I'm actually looking to get Graham out to a trackday in the summer as he offers a support/setup service for £300 per day. I think having the guy who designed and built the car, actually drive it and tell you what needs doing straight-away is priceless. You can split the costs by however many of you want the service. One mate would do. £150 for instant improvement!

See ya!

[Edited on 29/12/10 by Marky911]