Board logo

My Lucky Pants Worked !!
RazMan - 21/1/11 at 12:39 PM

After spending the last 15 years or so in self employment I recently decided that it was becoming too much of a slog and it was time to pack it all in and get a proper job The main obstacle I found, was the fact that at 56 years old, I found myself competing with 30-somethings who had better qualifications than me and were willing to work for peanuts. After 200 (yes really) job applications I felt quite disillusioned and wondered if I would ever find someone willing to employ me. I was often told that I was 'over qualified' for the relatively junior positions that I was applying for, but I could tell that they regarded me as an old fart that wouldn't fit in to their kindergarten business plan (ooh did that sound bitter? )

Anyway I stuck my neck out and went for my first real interview with a bigger organisation since I was an apprentice in 1971 It felt a bit strange to be interviewed by guys half my age but hey ho. The interview went well on Wednesday and I just heard that I GOT THE JOB!!!

As from next month I am going back to my (apprentice served) roots and becoming a Telephone Engineer again after a 30 year gap.

Hooray for me!

blakep82 - 21/1/11 at 12:45 PM

nice one
hmm, telephone engineer, needing a new job myself, want a proper job too, fed up of horrible call centre/temp rubbish. might be something to try for myself
good luck! hope you enjoy it

McLannahan - 21/1/11 at 12:45 PM

Great news Raz!

Mr Whippy - 21/1/11 at 12:46 PM

well done 200 is a hell of a lot of applications

I tailor each CV to the job I'm applying for as I have also in the past been told I was too qualified, so just show what is relevant to the job an skirt over with little detail any experience that could seem too much.

[Edited on 21/1/11 by Mr Whippy]

bbwales - 21/1/11 at 12:47 PM

Congratulations Raz, still plenty of life in us old uns.

Bob

imp paul - 21/1/11 at 12:47 PM

nice to see some good news well done hope it goes well for you happy days all the best paul

omega0684 - 21/1/11 at 12:56 PM

so do you have to move to India for the role?

MikeRJ - 21/1/11 at 12:58 PM

I'll give you an interview tip; don't wear your lucky pants on your head next time

Congratulations, must be a huge relief after such a slog.

stevegough - 21/1/11 at 01:02 PM

Well done ye old beggar - yer even older than me!

nick205 - 21/1/11 at 01:05 PM

Great News Raz - congratulations and I hope it pans out well for you.

martyn1137 - 21/1/11 at 01:06 PM

Well done, any chance you could get me more than 1 dodah of broadband to my home! Its painfully slow!

Guinness - 21/1/11 at 01:24 PM

Nice one!

Irony - 21/1/11 at 02:43 PM

Its a shame that age so often is an issue for getting a new job. At 56 depending on when you intend to retire you have at least 8 years left working. I work with a lot of so called modern fast paced marketing companies and they are lucky if their staff stop around for 8 months let alone 8 years. I think its a tad short sighted of employers to think age is a problem in your age bracket.

I do a reasonable amount of interviews and if you said 'I am 64'. Then age might be a issue.

Good luck with the new job!

dan8400 - 21/1/11 at 03:17 PM

Well done Raz and good luck. Age is just a number...

Messing around with cars keeps you young

Dan

Daddylonglegs - 21/1/11 at 04:13 PM

Wel done that man. 10/10 for persistence. I wonder how many of the younger generation would have been really disillusioned by lots of turned-down applications? (Not having a dig at you younger guys ).

Maybe there is hope for me yet then when our company finally decide they are top-heavy?

Anyway, seeing as you are a telephone engineer, can you come and upgrade my local x-change to fiber so we can get proper braodband please

gottabedone - 21/1/11 at 05:19 PM

Great news Raz!

You're never too old matey!

Steve

Ninehigh - 21/1/11 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I work with a lot of so called modern fast paced marketing companies and they are lucky if their staff stop around for 8 months let alone 8 years. I think its a tad short sighted of employers to think age is a problem in your age bracket.

I'm 31, the longest I've ever stuck at a job is 5 years. I now have to completely skip jobs in order to keep it down to 2 pages. If anyone tells me that being in my 50's is a concern I'd say "Why, you think I might drop dead or something? Oh I've only got about 10 years left in me? Can you see any job I've stuck at that long?"

Confused but excited. - 21/1/11 at 05:55 PM

Congratulations!

Did they tell you that they don't use electric waves anymore? it's all gone quantum!

Good luck Raz.