Board logo

Should the west start meddling in Libya
02GF74 - 11/3/11 at 09:47 AM

as per titile, should the west start to poke their nose into Libya, such as impose no-fly zone.

[Edited on 11/3/11 by 02GF74]

MikeFellows - 11/3/11 at 09:54 AM

Its got oil

we need oil as I dont want to pay £1.50 a litre

Yazza54 - 11/3/11 at 09:54 AM

No. Why is everything our problem? We aren't some kind of frigging world police. It's no wonder everyone hates us.

daviep - 11/3/11 at 09:55 AM

Yes - we need a stable supply of oil.

ChrisLeary - 11/3/11 at 10:00 AM

No, because it'll strecth our armed forces even further, and we do enough work already! 3months in afghan and then only 8 months at home before going again is enough, especially with a family, so adding more detachments would mean having to employ more servicemen and women and then that needs paying for, so fuel and anything else that can make the government money will increase in price anyway.

Like Yazza54 said, we're not the world police!

The days of the Great British Empire ruling the world are well and truely in the past, let them get on with it...

Chris

Andi - 11/3/11 at 10:06 AM

No.
Its got oil, so has Iraq and oil price has rocketed.
Makes you think, what if we and the US owned all the oil? Maybe we could run the monopoly and
charge what we like as there would be no competition?

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

dave107 - 11/3/11 at 10:15 AM

No we shouldn't we are not the world police, and iv'e been told by an petrol station manager we will be paying 1.60 by the end of the month and that's just the start of it.

Strontium Dog - 11/3/11 at 10:19 AM

If we go into Libya it will only benefit the Americans who may get cheaper oil. We will have to pay out for the armed forces etc. which means yet higher taxes to cover it and we still wont get cheaper oil. In fact it will cost us more as they tax fuel harder to pay for all the guns, bombs and soldiers we use up getting the Americans their cheaper oil!

Of course our government don't value a soldiers life very highly so it's mostly the guns and bombs that'll cost, a soldiers life is cheap to the likes of Blair or Cameron or any of our elected leaders it would seem!

James - 11/3/11 at 10:24 AM

Yes... if the rebels want us to. If not, then no, stay out of it.

Although I'm talking about a 'relatively' low risk no-fly zone and targeted air strikes against military assets. Boots on the ground would be a mistake for sure!

Gaddafi is a lunatic and is murdering his own population. He's also a terrorist who was responsible for the worst ever terrorist atrocity on British soil- heard of Lockerbie?

I think most would argue that a Police force is necessary in this country- so why is it so bad for there to be a 'world police'? And if us, the US, NATO or EU don't do it then who the hell else is going to? It only leaves China or Russia and their human rights records are hardly exemplary!

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Yes, I know the armed forces are over-stretched. I'm anti defence spending cuts and the only thing I would be willing to spend more tax on is the armed forces.
You'll notice all of a sudden the Nimrod scrapping has been put on hold. I've heard it suggested on Radio4 that there's going to be a Defense Spending Review...review!

[Edited on 11/3/11 by James]

edsco - 11/3/11 at 10:25 AM

Can i point out that whilst Libya has oil, there are other sources of oil. According to some high brow newspaper, forget which, but Libya only produce 2% of the worlds oil supply at the current rate. Estimates also show that they only sit on 3% of the oil reserves around the world. The USA have over 5% of the oil reserves and the rest of the world make up the rest. My point is, why don't other producing oil nations pull their finger out and start to up production. They don't because A) to drill for it is getting more expensive and B) if everyone started to up the anti to make up the shortfall, prices would tumble which is precisely what these big oil producing giants don't want to happen.

Its a catch 22. But we need not be getting involved in Libya, as there are other trade deals that could be done. Our government is just too reliant on current processes and to an extent stuck in their ways!

tegwin - 11/3/11 at 10:32 AM

Instability in that region would/is bad for us.... It is far better if there is a stable regime inplace, otherwise it will become the next home for people like the taliban who like lawless regions where they can control people.

It is in our interest to deal with the issue, however we need to sit back at let the UN/NATO decide what is best and then act accordingly... we can not have another illegal war on our hands...

tilly819 - 11/3/11 at 10:49 AM

NO just no

tilly

jabbahutt - 11/3/11 at 11:02 AM

You won't get any thanks for interferring. Why is it that everytime something needs sorting out in an unstable country everyone looks to the west to sort it out only to then throw every insult in the book at us. There are plenty of countries bordering Libya who if that concerned with the way their neighbours are being treated should speak up and act. As soon as the west get involved we'll be back to the west is only there to impose it's views/steal our oil problem again.

Leave it be.

blakep82 - 11/3/11 at 11:05 AM

yeah, gives us something to do...

Richard Quinn - 11/3/11 at 11:08 AM

Why not? After all it's not as if we have any of our own domestic problems to sort out, is it?

femster87 - 11/3/11 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Instability in that region would/is bad for us.... It is far better if there is a stable regime inplace, otherwise it will become the next home for people like the taliban who like lawless regions where they can control people.

It is in our interest to deal with the issue, however we need to sit back at let the UN/NATO decide what is best and then act accordingly... we can not have another illegal war on our hands...

How much stability has the war brought to Iraq and afganistan?

ashg - 11/3/11 at 11:31 AM

don't care as long as they don't spend my taxes on it. I dont watch the news any more, its all rubbish. the uk/europe have to be the most nosey neighbours in the world. we stupidly have way too much vested interest in other countries which always seems to end up being detrimental to our own goals.

franky - 11/3/11 at 11:34 AM

Anyone who says yes has zero understanding of how the armed forces work, zero political understanding of the middle east, zero understanding of Libya's military and ZERO common sense if they think it'll result in them saving money at the pump.

coozer - 11/3/11 at 11:43 AM

NO! Its time we shut our borders and pointed 2 fingers to the east while forging trading with America!

Ivan - 11/3/11 at 11:56 AM

No - since when has meddling helped anyone - I would guess the odds of it helping in the long run are poor - we just seem to gain more enemies each time we meddle.

loggyboy - 11/3/11 at 12:05 PM

Yes.
Gaddafi is mennace. His argument for being in power 40 years was:

'... in Britain (where) for 57 years the Queen has been ruling. I have been in the same situation.'

Im sorry, anyone whose that dim shouldnt be allowed that much power. EVERY country has the right to be demoracy. I dont believe the governments care, and will use the above as a convenient excuse to flex their muscles to gain what they can from the east, however, the people that live in these countries do deserve an elected governent. In general (some of) the east needs to buck its ideas up and get with the westernway of doing things, they all seem to hate the west for being better off, but the simple fact is we are better off because we have better, more organised, accountable powers in place.

blakep82 - 11/3/11 at 12:17 PM

looks like japans going to take over the news from libya now poor japan

anyway its more a UN peacekeeping thing isn't it? its not the UK just getting involved because we feel like it, but a UN action i thought? but then i don't really watch the news (not through choice anyway, sometimes news 24 is on and i'm not allowed ot change it, or CNN wtf?)

[Edited on 11/3/11 by blakep82]

phoenix70 - 11/3/11 at 01:15 PM

I say, yes, but only as part of a UN force

snoopy - 11/3/11 at 01:16 PM

personal view we wont have a choice what happens the new world order need an eastern union to go with the european union and the american union

ashg - 11/3/11 at 01:19 PM

forget the invasion, no fly zones. send in a crack team lockup or execute Gaddafi, move on job done.

yes i know its much more complicated than that but my comment goes to show just how much i think about the whole situation

[Edited on 11/3/2011 by ashg]

BenB - 11/3/11 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
forget the invasion, no fly zones. send in a crack team lockup or execute Gaddafi, move on job done.

yes i know its much more complicated than that but my comment goes to show just how much i think about the whole situation

You been watching Chuck Norris movies again

Strontium Dog - 11/3/11 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg

[Edited on 11/3/2011 by ashg]

Er, on the other hand it might just work and would cost a lot less than the last two debacles!

Edited to say

Especially if we sent Chuck Norris to do it! Lol

[Edited on 11/3/11 by Strontium Dog]

swanny - 11/3/11 at 02:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andi
No.
Its got oil, so has Iraq and oil price has rocketed.
Makes you think, what if we and the US owned all the oil? Maybe we could run the monopoly and
charge what we like as there would be no competition?

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

you mean like opec does?

btw according to the CIA handbook 2009 Libya produces just 2% of global oil.

[Edited on 11/3/11 by swanny]

Ninehigh - 11/3/11 at 09:25 PM

How about we go into the Democratic Republic of Congo and wipe out the sort of militia that will rape a 3 year old child as a weapon? Oh no there's no oil... But wait there's a mineral that gets mined there, that's used in every laptop, phone etc... Maybe a cheap ipad is worth it?

David Jenkins - 11/3/11 at 09:33 PM

We should be like Sweden - their armed forces exist for 1 reason - to defend their own country. They also happen to be one of the most fearsome and best-equipped armed forces in northern Europe...

whitestu - 11/3/11 at 10:13 PM

quote:

'... in Britain (where) for 57 years the Queen has been ruling. I have been in the same situation.'

Im sorry, anyone whose that dim shouldnt be allowed that much power.

That's no way to talk about the Queen!

Triton - 12/3/11 at 05:15 AM

I'm a Royalist and that oik needs a kick in the nose for comparing himself to our Queen

cliftyhanger - 12/3/11 at 08:38 AM

Mr Gaddafi seems to be quite intent on regaining his power, and the way it is going that seems likely. The country will be a nightmare for some time, and to top all that this countries "leaders" have already said far too much. Should have taken the standard "we will watch with interest" stance and not comitted, at least publically, to supporting either side. We really have no right to interfere with our countries squabbles, oil or no oil.
As pointed out elsewhere, we don't seem to mind other atrocities happening, and are prepared to turn a blind eye to things that make vast amounts of money (usually for companies, sod the rest of us) and I am not at all happy about the military being used in MY name for financial gains for multinationals

Badger_McLetcher - 12/3/11 at 11:55 AM

I think yes- if the rebels want help.
But not with boots on the ground. Airstrikes and a no fly zone maybe. Even better give them the support they need- help them with intel, give them the weapons they need to fight maybe even training if possible.
They have the will and man power, what they lack is the materiel and training.
After seeing how an unarmed mob managed to overun an army base that had been bombarding a protest with artillery and anti aircraft weapons I have nothing but respect for the rebels.
If we do nothing and Gadaffi wins, everyone loses.

Strontium Dog - 12/3/11 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
How about we go into the Democratic Republic of Congo and wipe out the sort of militia that will rape a 3 year old child as a weapon? Oh no there's no oil... But wait there's a mineral that gets mined there, that's used in every laptop, phone etc... Maybe a cheap ipad is worth it?

Even I'd get off my arse and help kick those animals butts. No oil there though so no chance of ever going in and helping all the people living in such fear and suffering!

Ninehigh - 13/3/11 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
We should be like Sweden - their armed forces exist for 1 reason - to defend their own country. They also happen to be one of the most fearsome and best-equipped armed forces in northern Europe...

Yeah because their budget can go on training and cool equipment rather than constantly transporting troops and paying for bullets.

I've always said we should sort our own problems out BEFORE we sort anyone else's.

So we've brought democracy to a previously dictatored state. Great, but I'm still struggling to pay the mortgage.
Even if we do remove a bonkers despot from Lybia, does that mean I can actually leave the car at home because buses run properly?

Call me short sighted but I'd rather know that my son can have a job when he leaves school rather than someone on the other side of the world..

02GF74 - 14/3/11 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher

hmmm, but who exactly are these rebels?

The Taliban are rebels too and I'm sure they could do with our help to take over Afghansitan..... in fact meddling by the British there (training the Taliban against Russian forces has backfired somewhat).

Cameron is going to end up look pretty stupid once Gadaffi has regain control.... now if Cameroon or his childrem had to go in the front line and fight, I am pretty sure he would not be so gung-ho.

nick205 - 14/3/11 at 01:10 PM

NO!

Leave them to it and to their oil.

Spend the time, effort and money on freeing ourselves of oil dependance and therefore interest in these countries and other sensitive parts of the world.

scootz - 14/3/11 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Spend the time, effort and money on freeing ourselves of oil dependance and therefore interest in these countries and other sensitive parts of the world.

Some chance! I've been looking into wind-turbine's and it's looking unlikely to happen as a minority of people think they 'spoil the pretty scenery'! Hell, there's even a local action group here who make it their business to attack every wind-turbine planing application as a matter of course!

Don't suppose these same people (and the lame officials who entertain them) will be around to apologise to the generations destined to live on a scorched (or frozen) planet because we didn't take measures soon enough

JoelP - 14/3/11 at 08:31 PM

go nuclear, ive always said

Japan is currently a great role model for nuclear power IMHO, they had an earthquake 7 times stronger than the plants were designed for, a tsunami that took out several of the safety devices, the associated problems with staffing and fueling the generators, and there has still been no significant leak of radiation, nor will there be even if it all does go tits up. What more can be said?

Ninehigh - 15/3/11 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
go nuclear, ive always said

Japan is currently a great role model for nuclear power IMHO, they had an earthquake 7 times stronger than the plants were designed for, a tsunami that took out several of the safety devices, the associated problems with staffing and fueling the generators, and there has still been no significant leak of radiation, nor will there be even if it all does go tits up. What more can be said?

Face it if those plants came here they'd fall apart of their own accord.

The past two mornings I've been down New Brighton, and looking out to the sea two things strike me, the wind farm and the low-hanging cloud over Liverpool. Only it's not cloud it's pollution... I'd rather see a wind farm thanks

StevieB - 15/3/11 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher

The Taliban are rebels too and I'm sure they could do with our help to take over Afghansitan..... in fact meddling by the British there (training the Taliban against Russian forces has backfired somewhat).

A few crossed facts in that one, I'd say.

The Americans supplied the Mujahadeen with weapons (most ntably Stinger missiles) and training to fight against the Russans.

The mistake wasn't in training and arming the Mujahadeen against the Russians, it was the US turning it's back on the country once the Russians bugged out, thus leaving a war ravaged nation to the Taliban for the taking.

02GF74 - 16/3/11 at 12:33 PM

^^^ quite possibly but my inside sources told me the SAS had trained the Taliban, obviously not all of them .... but nevertheless, the principle remains the same i.e. outsiders messing.

scootz - 16/3/11 at 04:40 PM

Why aren't we making noises about Bahrain???

Badger_McLetcher - 17/3/11 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

The Taliban are a completely different situation. TBH arming and training a fanatically religious group is never a good idea at any time.
The rebels in Libya aren't religious nuts, they're just people who have had enough of being shat on from a great height. They're trying to rid themselves of a oppressive and corrupt government, which is something that should be lauded wherever in the world it comes from. If they don't manage to hold then Gaddaffi will have no hesitation in raping, murdering and torturing them well past submission.

Edit: At a guess about Bahrain, because it's not (yet) a fully fledged revolt, just a harsh crack down. Also it took a hell of a long time to do anything about Libya so I wouldn't expect anything yet anyways!

[Edited on 17/3/11 by Badger_McLetcher]