Board logo

Shed/Lean to Roof
rayward - 8/5/11 at 03:36 PM

Just Sussing out building a lean to shed on the side of the house,

for the roof i was thinking 100mmx50mm timbers (span is 2.4m) spaced 600mm apart , boarding and felting using 12mm Structural Ply ,

does this sound about right ???

cheers
Ray

minitici - 8/5/11 at 03:45 PM

Given the amount of snow we had last winter.........

RustyNuts - 8/5/11 at 03:53 PM

I personally would be happier with 6 x 2 timbers and OSB (Sterling board)

However whatever thickness ply you must...must...nagging like my Mrs!...must seal the edges otherwise given time it will delaminate.

rachaeljf - 8/5/11 at 04:21 PM

If it's a "flat roof" i.e. less than 10 degrees pitch, 47x122 (5"x2" ) Class C16 timber is the likely minimum to comply with Building Regs (BS8103-3, Table 60 or Table 61), assuming you wish to comply of course!

Need to know where and what altitude your house is to be more accurate on snow loading.

Cheers R

[Edited on 9/5/11 by rachaeljf]

SteveWalker - 8/5/11 at 05:34 PM

Felted flat roofs are a recipe for leaks. I'd take a look at EPDM rubber roofing.

I'm just doing a flat roof, but due to a complex shape, I'm planning on fibreglassing it - as I did to the roof of our extension when the felting failed for the second time!

David Jenkins - 8/5/11 at 08:30 PM

I'm contemplating some shed building - the design I found uses corrugated sheet for the roof, on top of plywood (with an air-gap). If I do decide to build it, or just repair the one I've got already, then I'll probably use the same system.

Alternatively, I'd use those asphalt imitation roofing tiles that the Americans use on all their houses. They last for decades, but they are HEAVY! I'd need to increase the thickness of the plywood to compensate.

Wickes roofing shingles

tegwin - 8/5/11 at 08:45 PM

There are structural timber tables online (google them) which tell you what size structural timber you need for a given span...

I would strongly recomend EPDM.. I just redid my garage roof and its a fantastic material..

Glues straight onto 18mm OSB3 roof deck. So much easier than felt and will last for years!

rayward - 8/5/11 at 08:55 PM

cheers for the info fellas,

going to go for OSB3, and according to the span tables 125x50 will be ok.

any ideas on cost of the EPDM?, and is it a DIY Job ?

cheers
Ray

SteveWalker - 8/5/11 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rayward
cheers for the info fellas,

going to go for OSB3, and according to the span tables 125x50 will be ok.

any ideas on cost of the EPDM?, and is it a DIY Job ?

cheers
Ray

Yes it's a DIY job. If you do a quick google, you'll find loads of companies supplying it, with online prices and instructions or even videos.

SteveW

tegwin - 9/5/11 at 09:22 PM

I used this company for my stuff..
http://www.rubba-seal.co.uk/

Deffinately a DIY job, if you have a good solid dry deck, its so easy to lay! I recon it took me about an hour to glue the rubber down and fit the edge strips... (although it did take me nearly 2 days to build the roof deck!)

Their edging trim strips are expensive, but they do finish the edge of the roof off very well!

Really fast service from that company... And they have guide videos on their website too :-)