Board logo

O/T: What concrete mix for doorstep?
James - 11/1/12 at 10:40 AM

As you can see from the pic, when we had the driveway/doorstep done the concrete 'bed' under the door frame didn't last too well.

[img] doorstep concrete
doorstep concrete
[/img]

The other day, with heavy rain, there was a load of water in the hallway and I guess this is the cause!

Nice weather today (and don't think freezing) so would like to replace the concrete/mortar.

What should I be using? And what mix? I know you get strong/weak mixes and different types of sand etc. but not exactly sure what mix I should be using here.

Thanks!

James

[Edited on 11/1/12 by James]

jossey - 11/1/12 at 10:47 AM

I dont think its the concrete its the door.

It needs a rain deflector of the rain is just failing down the door into the frame and into the kitchen.

It must have had a deflector as you can see the holes on the door from it.

just get one like below for £5 or so.

To repair the concrete next to the frame i would use mortar mix and make it around 10-15mm think and sloped away from the door a little.

[Edited on 11/1/12 by jossey]

wilkingj - 11/1/12 at 10:55 AM

If you put a rain deflector on, dontforget to mastic seal it to the door to stop water seeping down the back of it, and into the house.

Cheap fix first!

jossey - 11/1/12 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
If you put a rain deflector on, dontforget to mastic seal it to the door to stop water seeping down the back of it, and into the house.

Cheap fix first!

or use sealant on the top......

good thinking though wilkingj totally forgot that bit,.......

Litemoth - 11/1/12 at 11:33 AM

Is that a damp course inder the frame?...the black bit. A thin sliver of concrete won't last long on that.

I hate to be the one to say this but.........That pavier blockwork looks a bit high in relation to the house dampcourse level?

James - 11/1/12 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Is that a damp course inder the frame?...the black bit. A thin sliver of concrete won't last long on that.

I hate to be the one to say this but.........That pavier blockwork looks a bit high in relation to the house dampcourse level?

Yes, it's DPC. AFAIK the previous concrete lasted a fair while- it was only my carelessness with the breaker that damaged what's there.

As for the blockwork; this is the door step. It's 2/3 courses higher than the rest of the drive. I'll try to find a pic that shows it.

The blockwork that's currently visible is at the same height as the original solid concrete step that was built with the house.

Cheers,
James

Peteff - 11/1/12 at 12:16 PM

Chop the rest of the cement out of there, cut the DPC off level with the door plate and just put a line of mastic across the join, that which is there will just hold moisture in and is a bit of a bodge. Put some Tetrion or something over it if you want to cover it up for appearance.

Litemoth - 11/1/12 at 12:21 PM

Ah..ok.
It just looks that the inside and outside floor levels look similar.

I would mix some compo - sand/cement (3-1) with some additive for bonding and flexibility. 'SBR' is good for this but you'd have to buy a gallon just for that bit. Some PVA would be a good alternative.

nick205 - 11/1/12 at 01:27 PM

Definitely fit a rain deflector first to keep the water away from the base of the door - just done the same myself after getting fed up with stepping in a puddle each time it rains hard. £5 from Screwfix in white, gold or silver to your own taste.

James - 11/1/12 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Litemoth
Ah..ok.
It just looks that the inside and outside floor levels look similar.

I would mix some compo - sand/cement (3-1) with some additive for bonding and flexibility. 'SBR' is good for this but you'd have to buy a gallon just for that bit. Some PVA would be a good alternative.

Well, they are bascially the same- it's my lame photo, not your eyes! But the same level bit is a step.

But actually, you have got me a bit worried now!

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Cheers,
James

James - 11/1/12 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Definitely fit a rain deflector first to keep the water away from the base of the door - just done the same myself after getting fed up with stepping in a puddle each time it rains hard. £5 from Screwfix in white, gold or silver to your own taste.

It has a rain deflector- I think. The silver bit- right?

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Cheers,
James

owelly - 11/1/12 at 05:02 PM

To me, it looks like the bottom of your door frame is missing!!
I'd be using that pre-mixed step repair stuff. Stronger and tougher than sand and cement, and dries quick.

JoelP - 11/1/12 at 08:38 PM

id agree with pete myself. The silver bit at the bottom that doesnt open with the door, should have a groove in it to catch rain, with drainage holes to the outside. I belive the water is getting in under this piece. A good silicone should sort it. There is no seal at the min!

Hose that mofo down and see where it leaks!

Has the flooring inside not been ruined?

[Edited on 11/1/12 by JoelP]