Board logo

Feed in Tariff rate
splitrivet - 25/1/12 at 12:44 PM

Just been working at a solar energy place and its been announced that the Gov's been overruled for the feed in tariff rate back up to 43p, kit must be installed by beginning of March though. Might be useful if your thinking of going for solar.
Cheers,
Bob

jossey - 25/1/12 at 12:57 PM

good news :O)

http://www.renewableenergyfocus.com/view/23458/updated-1145-uk-government-loses-feedin-tariff-appeal/

JoelP - 25/1/12 at 01:04 PM

bad news, for everyone who doesnt have them.

jossey - 25/1/12 at 01:43 PM

its good news for you cos if you buy them now you should get about £800 back in feed in tariff a year and save say £150-200 in leccy.

Plus its guaranteed for 25 years.

£800 x 25 = £20,000
Plus £200 * 25 = £5,000

Fit the panels yourself 2kw should cost less than £5,000

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

[Edited on 25/1/12 by jossey]

Agriv8 - 25/1/12 at 01:50 PM

Not for us that have houses that have a pitched roof's that points north / south.

regards

Agriv8

craig1410 - 25/1/12 at 02:02 PM

Even at 43p per kwh, I still think the smart move is to wait until the cost of panels and installation comes down a good bit. I don't think the higher feed in tariff will cover the reduction in installation cost which is likely to happen naturally through commoditisation and economy of scale. Early adopters will pay a premium in the long term in my opinion. Similar situation to electric cars sadly.

Don't get me wrong, I would ordinarily be very keen to go PV solar but living in central Scotland and having a house with limited south facing roof area, only adds to my economic concerns about it. For me, solar hot water heating would be a better bet as we use a lot of hot water in our house.

I'd be very interested to hear of any solid data which contradicts my concerns. I've not run the numbers properly, just some quick sums in my head which could very easily be incorrect. I'd like to look at, say, a 20 year horizon. Person 1 buys just now at, say £12k install cost and 43p feed in rate. Person 2 waits 3 years and buys the same capacity system at £5k install cost but with a lower feed in tariff. I'm not sure of the duration of the 43p feed in tariff contract, whether it is for life or x number of years. Also, I'm not sure how many kwh on AVERAGE ANNUALLY, you would get from a £12k size installation. It will vary by latitude and sunshine hours of course but perhaps we can assume the climate of Manchester to split the regional difference. Anyone able to fill in any of the variables to carry out this analysis? My £12k now / £5k in 3 years estimate is off the top of my head but I doubt it will be far off. I'd like to see a break even analysis over the 20 year horizon, taking account of all factors including opportunity cost of tying up the investment cash in PV hardware. I'd suggest 5% per annum for that financing as it could be argued that you could remortgage to pay for the install cost and then recover some cash when you sell your house. 5% seems a realistic long term mortgage rate.

Anyone?

C.

russbost - 25/1/12 at 02:19 PM

Seriously guys, if you're staying in the same property for the next 6 years or so & you have the funds available do it now!

I had my 4kWh installation fitted & running on Nov 19th, cost £10k. Dec & Jan are 2 months of the year when the panels are supposed to do very little (about 4% of your annual output), my roof is not ideal facing almost directly SW & also being partly shaded, however even so & even at this time of year in the first 2 months (to 19th Jan) it's generated around 80kWh, now I've only run very rough figures, but even at that rate it's about the same as leaving the money in the building society. Output in the Summer months should be about 6 - 8 times that rate so it cannot fail to payback quickly.

Bear in mind that all the income from the panels is tax free, it can only ever go up from the 43p tarif which is guaranteed for 25 years, the panels are guaranteed to 80% of their output in 25 years. On top of the 43p, you get another 3p per unit on 50% of the output (for what you're feeding back in) & on top of that you are making savings on your electric bills as well, it really is a no brainer.

motorcycle_mayhem - 25/1/12 at 02:38 PM

Very envious, some of us can plan for 6 years..... jumping from redundancy through unemployment, through redundancy every 6 months... Just makes me feel inadequate again. More depression, Hey ho.

Solar power/panels may well serve the wealthy, at the expense of those unwealthy (those who end up paying the 'subsidy'. So yep, if you've got some cash around why not? Not enough money? - have another few kids for the benefits...

I haven't seen the sun for a long time, but there's plenty of wind around - is there a Wind Turbine scheme?

splitrivet - 25/1/12 at 02:47 PM

If youve got some savings sitting in a bank/building society earning bugger all its a no brainer, where else can you get that rate without taking a humungus risk.
Cheers,
Bob

Snuggs - 25/1/12 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
its good news for you cos if you buy them now you should get about £800 back in feed in tariff a year and save say £150-200 in leccy.

£800 x 25 = £20,000
Plus £200 * 25 = £5,000

quote:

I thought you only got paid if they were installed by a registered installer ?

Neville Jones - 25/1/12 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
quote:

£800 x 25 = £20,000
Plus £200 * 25 = £5,000

quote:

Very true. No DIY on these I'm afraid. Have to be certified by a registered installer, and an electrician who's certified to do the electrical setup.

If you've got a mate who's a registered installer, then good luck to you.

As for the poor paying for the rich who can afford these, that's simply not true. Why do you think the Govt wanted to stop the high tariff? The money comes from central govt and they get it from the EU slush fund.

Cheers,
Nev.

craig1410 - 25/1/12 at 04:06 PM

Hi,

Just to help answer some of my own question, I got a quote for a £12k loan over 10 years and the repayments are £126.63 per month. That is £1519.56 per year just to pay back the capital cost over 10 years. I couldn't get a quote over 25 years but lets assume it is half that amount per year = £ 760 per year to get back from feed in tariff before you break even. That is 1767 kwh per year or an average of 147 kwh per month or an average of 4.8 kwh per day.

Even if you don't need to borrow money and have savings, I'd expect you could get 5% return on savings if you were prepared to tie up the money for 25 years!

I am yet to be convinced...maybe in 3 to 5 years.

C.

Humbug - 25/1/12 at 04:26 PM

It's not as straightforward as it might seem unless you plan to be in the same house for 25 years, surely? If, for whatever reason, you move/have to move in say 3 years, is the buyer going to pay a premium based on what you spent on installation and what you were expecting to save/earn in the following 22 years?

big-vee-twin - 25/1/12 at 04:44 PM

Installer has to be MCS accredited, Panels have to be on the approved MCS equipment list.

Costs at the moment are about £3,500.00 per kWp comes down to around £2,500.00 for very large installations.

Payback period is about 10-15 years.

steve8274 - 25/1/12 at 04:49 PM

what about the companies who were offering panels for "free"
i know you dont get the feed in tariff but you should still benefit from the free electric.
this is what i was planning on doing until the government quoshed the rates. couldnt afford the panels myself
i was going through eon
steve

Snuggs - 25/1/12 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve8274
what about the companies who were offering panels for "free"
i know you dont get the feed in tariff but you should still benefit from the free electric.
this is what i was planning on doing until the government quoshed the rates. couldnt afford the panels myself
i was going through eon
steve

I looked into this a while ago and IF you plan to live there for 25 years then go for it.
However if you plan on moving you either have to compensate the company for the loss of income AND pay to have the system removed or persuade your house buyer to take over the contract.

JoelP - 25/1/12 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
As for the poor paying for the rich who can afford these, that's simply not true. Why do you think the Govt wanted to stop the high tariff? The money comes from central govt and they get it from the EU slush fund.

Cheers,
Nev.

Are you sure there neville? I thought that the money comes from the energy suppliers, who recoup it from all their customers. Google seems to agree, though there isnt much about it.

If it does come from the energy companies, then it is very much just another scheme to help people with spare cash get richer at the expense of those who cannot afford to join in.

matt_gsxr - 25/1/12 at 07:31 PM

quote:
quote:

Cheers,
Nev.

Are you sure there neville? I thought that the money comes from the energy suppliers, who recoup it from all their customers. Google seems to agree, though there isnt much about it.

If it does come from the energy companies, then it is very much just another scheme to help people with spare cash get richer at the expense of those who cannot afford to join in.

Feed in tariff is paid by energy companies, energy companies get their money from customers (that is you and me).

http://www.fitariffs.co.uk/FITs/principles/funding/

even if it did come from an EU slush fund, where do you think that money comes from, the fairies?

russbost - 25/1/12 at 08:58 PM

"Feed in tariff is paid by energy companies, energy companies get their money from customers (that is you and me)."

Which is another reason for fitting panels if you possibly can - as the money comes from the energy companies (& the payment rate of the F.I.T. is, quite frankly, ridiculously high - that's why I've had panels fitted!) which way do you think energy bills are going to go when the energy companies have to start paying out to all of us who've had them installed? So when prices go up that makes the saving on future energy prices all the more important & is another reason for fitting.

It's pointless arguing about poor paying for rich etc., you might just as well say that anyone who pays 40% tax (no I don't!) is paying for other peoples child allowance or something! That's a completely different political debate which I don't want to get into!

The scheme is there whether you like it or not & if you either can't or won't take part in it then you'll finish up contributing towards the payments to those who do! (unless you live in a tent with a woodburner perhaps!!)

I would strongly urge any of you that can lay hands on the funds (or most of the funds & top the balance up with a small loan) to do so before the next tarif change in March. Judging by the output from my panels so far I will be surprised if the panels don't make/save me £1200 this year, that's 12% interest & remember it's completely tax free & it has a built in escalation factor that increases year by year, hence the panels should pay for themselves within around 7 to 8 years, after which they will continue to make money for a further 17 to 18 years & continue to save money virtually indefinitely whether it's for me or someone else.

Besides saving/making money, take the scenario where you have 2 identical houses in a street except one has solar panels the other doesn't, one therefore has a tax free income of over £1000pa & savings on electricity, the other doesn't - which would you be prepared to pay more for??? I could even see it making a small difference to how much you could get on mortgage as it is effectively an increase in income before tax of around £1300+pa, & electricity savings to boot.

All of course IMHO

JoelP - 25/1/12 at 09:51 PM

We're basically making the same point russ - its brilliant for those who can afford it. I can accept that people with spare cash can invest and make more, that is afterall the basis of a free capitalist economy, however im annoyed that the government has initially made the tariffs so high that it is a disproportionally high return on your investment, funded by everyone else.

I'd rather see a tax on fossil fuels than subsidies on other energies.

And another thing that bugs me is the drive to microgeneration. Havent they heard of the economies of scale?

matt_gsxr - 25/1/12 at 10:09 PM

+1

They did try to bring the tariff back into line, but couldn't do it legally.

MikeR - 25/1/12 at 10:17 PM

Something I don't get .......... could you get the smallest, cheapest installation now and then add to it later when you've got more money?

and what does it cost to generate 1kw/hr of power via other means - for example if you got a cheap aldi generator and ran it for a hour how much power would it generate compared to the cost of fuel? what about a steam engine, water turbine etc cause if you've got the connection and electrical gubbins whats stopping you?

Re microgeneration - you're right about economies of scale but you've also got transmission losses to take into account.

russbost - 25/1/12 at 10:17 PM

Please don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen done by any government (I think generated by the previous mob, but not sure), shows a total lack of understanding of the whole scenario from small scale thro' to installation costs etc. It's just that now it's done you're either "one of the gang" or you're putting your hand in your pocket! But if you're able to I would encourage anyone to join in that can - I do agree that for those that can't join in (any of my kids for example who are all at Uni - Ahh! & there's another government story!!!) it is completely unfair

JoelP - 25/1/12 at 10:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Something I don't get .......... could you get the smallest, cheapest installation now and then add to it later when you've got more money?

and what does it cost to generate 1kw/hr of power via other means - for example if you got a cheap aldi generator and ran it for a hour how much power would it generate compared to the cost of fuel? what about a steam engine, water turbine etc cause if you've got the connection and electrical gubbins whats stopping you?

Re microgeneration - you're right about economies of scale but you've also got transmission losses to take into account.

I believe that you cannot add to the installation later.

Also, they dont actually measure what you generate, they just assume that half of it goes back in and pay the extra 3p for that.

craig1410 - 26/1/12 at 01:11 AM

Sorry Russ but nothing you have said helps to convince me that this is anywhere close to a no-brainer. In fact I still doubt that the break even point will be any sooner than 10 or 12 years after installation by which time technology will have most likely moved on to much better PV panels and other methods of energy collection.

By your own figures, as things stand today you have generated 80kwh, or £34.40 worth of electricity in 2 months, albeit I fully understand this is the winter months. By my reckoning, if you had put your £10000 in a savings account (moneysavingexpert.com shows you can get 4.8% on a five year deal) you would have £10080 after 2 months (£480pa -> £40pm). More importantly, your £10000 is still there too, albeit locked away for 5 years at a time. What many people don't understand is that when you buy an asset (car, boat, PV panels) the asset's value doesn't stay fixed over its lifetime, it drops. It usually drops as soon as you buy the asset because you can't simply sell it back without making a loss and in the case of PV, there are installation costs over and above the panel purchase. Also, over the lifetime of the asset (say 25 years) it depreciates to essentially scrap value. Also, I seriously doubt that your house price will be increased by £10k due to having £10k of PV panels installed. Perhaps £4k initially but not £10k.

So, in order to break even, you need to be generating enough electricity to cover the cost of recovering the capital cost PLUS the amount that you would have gained if you had just put the money in a savings account.

So, assuming there will always be a 5% savings deal available somewhere, £10000 placed in a bank account for 25 years at 5% would be worth £34812.90 (web link below). So in order to break even, this is the value of electricity which must be generated in those same 25 years just to break even, assuming the PV cells themselves are practically worthless after 25 years. That comes to 80960 kWh which is 3238 kWh / year which is 8.87 kWh per day.

According to the website link below (randomly googled), the maximum daily rate this 3.29kw system based in the south of England managed to achieve was just short of 8.5kwh/day. It's close to breaking even and would probably do so given that the 43p FIT is index linked. However, it is far from being a no-brainer as I said above and it's doubtful if anything like 8.5kwh/day would be achieved for me in central Scotland or even in mid to north England. Perhaps I'm missing some other factor(s), hence my invitation to work this out properly in my earlier post. My cost/benefit model is far from perfect I'm quite sure of that but I've yet to see anything better. I even searched the web for some cost/benefit analysis data but couldn't find anything substantial.

Anyway, Russ I don't mean to seem like I'm trying to pour cold water on your PV panels (so to speak) but I just want to gain a better understanding of the pros and cons before I would feel comfortable taking the plunge. My mind is open to learn if anyone can provide objective information to contradict my own admittedly trivial analysis above.

Cheers,
Craig.

Source of interest calculator: http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm

Source of daily PV output: http://www.alternative-energy.co.uk/Daily%20Outputs.html

gottabedone - 26/1/12 at 08:10 AM

Subsidising the installation of these panels is one thing (with questions about who is actually making money here as companies are crawling out of the woodwork taking advantage of the subsidies) but what are the costs of maintenance/maintaining your manufacturers guarantee and what are the costs to remove and dispose of these things when the bubble bursts?
We've seen many hair brained schemes over the years and they've always had a cost that's bitten us on the ar$e

Steve

russbost - 26/1/12 at 08:22 AM

Sorry, perhaps I should have said it's a no brainer for anyone South of the midlands!

Your 4.8% is unusually high & may have catches, I don't know, but it's only actually worth around 3.3% after tax, so your figures are way skewed b4 you start, I also don't believe you've taken the additional 3p per unit on 50% ofthe electricity generated into account, nor what you'll save off your electricity bill .

I live in the real world, I don't think it will add £10k to the value of my house, but yes, possibly 4 or 5, which means the installation only has to pay off say £6k before I start making money - I'll be very surprised if it doesn't do that in about 5 years.

Everything is manufacturer guaranteed for 10 years, some of it up to 25 years on sliding scale & backed with insurance warranty if the company goes belly up, ongoing maintenance is negligable.

MikeRJ - 26/1/12 at 09:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
If youve got some savings sitting in a bank/building society earning bugger all its a no brainer, where else can you get that rate without taking a humungus risk.
Cheers,
Bob

It's a no brainer IF you are certain of your employment status for the foreseeable future. 10k in the bank is always vastly better than a solar panel on your roof if your job security is not assured. Any 25 year guarantee for panels is extremely unlikely to be worth the paper it's written on.

BTW, has anyone checked what the impact on home insurance is?

[Edited on 26/1/12 by MikeRJ]

craig1410 - 26/1/12 at 10:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Sorry, perhaps I should have said it's a no brainer for anyone South of the midlands!

Your 4.8% is unusually high & may have catches, I don't know, but it's only actually worth around 3.3% after tax, so your figures are way skewed b4 you start, I also don't believe you've taken the additional 3p per unit on 50% ofthe electricity generated into account, nor what you'll save off your electricity bill .

I live in the real world, I don't think it will add £10k to the value of my house, but yes, possibly 4 or 5, which means the installation only has to pay off say £6k before I start making money - I'll be very surprised if it doesn't do that in about 5 years.

Everything is manufacturer guaranteed for 10 years, some of it up to 25 years on sliding scale & backed with insurance warranty if the company goes belly up, ongoing maintenance is negligable.

The 4.8% is available today on a 5 year deal and there are other similar deals. Note that interest rates are at a historic low just now so over the next 25 years I would expect to be able to get 5% very easily on average. Yes there may be tax to take off that figure (depending on circmstances) but there are some very tax efficient ways to save including ISAs and even paying into a pension pot. 25 years is a long time so many of us will be nearing retirement by then including myself. The good thing about this type of savings deal is that the money becomes available again every 5 years with no penalty on interest and there is no risk as there would be with stocks and shares or investing in a single technology product which is what you are doing with PV just now. Do you really believe there won't be better (evolutionary or revolutionary) products available in that timeframe?

I'm not clear on the 3p thing to be honest. Are you able to relate your 80 kwh generated so far and how that converts to a cheque in the post from your electricity provider? Also, I'm not clear on how personal consumption affects FIT income. I hardly use any electricity during daylight hours as we are usually out and obviously don't ned lights. Most of my consumption is in the evenings when solar would be of very limited use. I'd like better clarity on how the inbound/outbound flow of energy affects potential earnings before I try to model this financially.

The £4k increase in house price I suggested was only really meant on day 1. I expect that, if you were to sell your house after 5 or 10 years then the value uplift would be zero. In some cases the prospect of buying a house with PV installed might even put some buyers off due to potential contractual/maintenance and even appearance concerns. I would suggest writing off the value of the PV panels over 5 years, perhaps 8 years at a push. All IMHO of course, no data to offer to prove or disprove this as yet.

I agree with the other poster who paid that warranty is probably not worth the paper it is written on. The good news is that if anything goes wrong after 10 years there will be much cheaper panels available anyway. That kinda gets back to my original point. I think the right move just now is to do nothing and wait for the PV technology to mature a little bit further both in terms of performance and cost. I'll be watching with interest over the next 5 years and will be happy to admit I was wrong if that is how it turns out.

Cheers,
Craig.

emsfactory - 26/1/12 at 10:19 AM

Im In Glasgow, had my system put in around the 20th Nov. Generated about 100kwh so far. Highest 1 day was a couple of days ago at 7.8 kwh for the day. Not bad for Jan the second worst mobnth of the year. I am confident that during summer i will be over 20 per day.
My old boy has an old style meter and his goes backwards when generating!

Energy will only go up.
I agree with Russ, if you have the cash stick it on the roof.
Granted its a poor to rich tax, not that i'm saying i'm rich, but so be it.
I am happy that in 10-15 years I'll be well up on the deal.

emsfactory - 26/1/12 at 10:31 AM

See, the pros are actually facts, pinch of salt here and there maybe but your negatives,

The £4k increase in house price I suggested was only really meant on day 1. I expect that, if you were to sell your house after 5 or 10 years then the value uplift would be zero. In some cases the prospect of buying a house with PV installed might even put some buyers off due to potential contractual/maintenance and even appearance concerns. I would suggest writing off the value of the PV panels over 5 years, perhaps 8 years at a push. All IMHO of course, no data to offer to prove or disprove this as yet.,

are all made up. You dont need to right them off, add value to your house, right that off etc to get to break even. They do that on thier own. If they add value to your house, who cares. If your about to move don't put solar on the roof. If their written off your house value after 5/8 years who cares, you still live there and the panels are still doing their job.

The returns make good financial sense if you have the cash available. As they break in years to come, repair them using the new super duper really cheap panels that will be available then.

The guarantees are separated from the companies that install the kit to protect the purchaser. The 1K odd inverter will prob last 10 years, if a new one cost £100 by then I'll be surprised. The returns are tax free and index linked for 25 years. I have a feeling they will go up more than any savings rate you'll get. Oh and you get some free leccy which will always go up so be worth more each year.

No Brainer.

Neville Jones - 26/1/12 at 11:58 AM

I could waste a lot of time replying to the negatives. Hot air and scaremongering.

My system here, installed and commisioned on September 13th last year, has just gone past 1200kWhrs, and a recent payment of near £500, and the main electric bill is down by 28%

Some days in the last couple of months have been no more than 1~2 kWhrs, and the best in September was 26. We can expect much more generation in the March~July period, per day. 4+ units so far today. Another couple of quid in the bank.

No more to say.

Cheers,
Nev.

1.45pm Just gone 10 now so far today, £4+ and counting, money in the bank....

[Edited on 26/1/12 by Neville Jones]

JoelP - 29/1/12 at 06:52 PM

i do believe it will make money myself, especially as the FIT rates go up every year as your deal progresses. And, energy is going to get far more expensive soon, imho.

jossey - 29/1/12 at 07:19 PM

Install the DIY panels and get the feed in machine installed by a registered company. Easy peeeeze

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
quote:

£800 x 25 = £20,000
Plus £200 * 25 = £5,000

quote:

Very true. No DIY on these I'm afraid. Have to be certified by a registered installer, and an electrician who's certified to do the electrical setup.

If you've got a mate who's a registered installer, then good luck to you.

Cheers,
Nev.

craig1410 - 29/1/12 at 07:23 PM

@emsfactory
@Neville Jones

Guys, you are getting all defensive when what I was trying to do was tease some facts out. Yes I was "making stuff up", otherwise known in the scientific community as hypothesising. But I stated clearly that my mind is open and I am willing to learn and to try to come up with a better model of the pros and cons. No need for you guys to get all defensive. Maybe you can't bear the possibility that you may have invested unwisely? Not an uncommon reaction.

To be honest I don't think you need to worry about that because I personally think it will pay back eventually. However, I would like to be able to figure out whether it only makes sense if you are a saver or if it might also make sense if you are in a position where you maybe have to pay half of the installation cost from credit. Also, as the economy warms up even savers will start to get interest rates more like the levels there used to be so again it needs some science behind the opinions.

Clearly there is a return from these schemes. However, the question of how long must one wait before breaking even and then hopefully going on to make a profit is far from being answered to a satisfactory level in my eyes.

So, maybe between us all we can pull together some facts, free from polarised opinions and spin? That would be a step forward at least.

As for the warranties, I don't doubt that there will be a protected pool of cash to pay for this, what bother me more is what terms and conditions might prevent someone from claiming. If anyone has tried making an NHBC claim then you will know what I'm talking about. However, I wouldn't want to be accused of scaremongering again so I'll not say any more about it...

Finally, with reference to my hypothesis about house value not being increased. Without quoting specific figures again, all I'm saying is that you are unlikely to get your money back (or anything like it) if you installed a PV system and then sold your house. A quality new kitchen or a new bathroom might give you a good return in preparation for a sale but a PV system is something that the owner "chooses" to do for their own reasons and a prospective buyer may or may not share that enthusiasm. Therefore the value uplift will reflect that. After, say, 10 years a prospective buyer will see it like any 10 year old appliance and might be put off by potential repair costs. Hopefully by then PV systems will have proven to be reliable and warranty providers won't all have gone bankrupt.

Anyway, if I'm honest I can say that I have no intention of buying into PV just now, partly because I don't see me staying in this house much longer and partly because I'm not convinced of the benefits within a reasonable (i.e. <10 year) timeframe.

Neville Jones - 29/1/12 at 10:54 PM

Craig,
I'm not being defensive, just fed up with the negative naysayers. Since that last post of mine, we've had fair weather and made another £20. Simple as that.

We don't intend moving(at least nothing less than 12K miles south and east )so have no fears or regrets.

The system is paying for itself, and saving us money on the main electric bill. What else can I say?

Cheers,
nev.

craig1410 - 29/1/12 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Craig,
I'm not being defensive, just fed up with the negative naysayers. Since that last post of mine, we've had fair weather and made another £20. Simple as that.

We don't intend moving(at least nothing less than 12K miles south and east )so have no fears or regrets.

The system is paying for itself, and saving us money on the main electric bill. What else can I say?

Cheers,
nev.

Hi Nev,

That's fair enough and I understand how you can get fed up with naysayers - hopefully you can see that I'm not one of them, I just want to base my own decisions on facts rather than myth and legend.

I'm actually really keen to be able to use renewables. In fact I seriously looked into micro-generation by capturing rainwater from my house roof and feeding it into little turbines in the down pipes. However, when I did the math, it turned out to be a tiny amount of energy which could be recovered. Definitely not worth it. I couldn't believe how little energy this would yield - it was truly pitiful!

I also have a burn (stream) flowing through my back garden and have often thought about building a water wheel. A combination of water wheel, wind turbine and PV cells would cover every type of weather up here in Scotland!

I'd be very interested to hear more details about your system. Installed capacity and installation cost versus energy recovery rate. Do you have an idea when the system will break even? Also, I'm still not clear how the generated energy turns into FIT payback AND reduction on local usage. Can you clarify how the numbers work? For example, we tend to consume about 6300 units of electricity a year. That's just over 17kwh per day. How does this relate to the daily generation figure? Does the generated energy first supply your local requirements before getting exported to the grid (would seem sensible) or do you get double credit - ie. 43p per unit generated PLUS additional credit for excess energy exported to the grid?

Anyway, thanks for your time.
Craig.

franky - 30/1/12 at 07:51 AM

If I wasn't planning on moving in the next 20 years it's something I'd go for, I can say that I think its add's zero value to a house at the minute although it makes it a better buy out of two identical houses if one was with and the other without. We looked at some houses when house hunting that had them installed, my mrs doesn't like the look of them either which must be a woman thing, although in fairness they do ruin the look of most houses that they're installed on.

Its a shame the goverment has extended the cut-off for the higher rate, at least they are going to stop it though. It does make me chuckle when you hear these new companies moaning about job losses/going when they've only set up in the past 12months and just to make money on the back of a goverment cock-up that costs everyone without PV, Sustainable energy yes, Sustainable business model no.

All in, if you're staying put for 20years, don't mind the look get it done. Or buy a porsche 993, they look nicer and are going up in value year on year

russbost - 30/1/12 at 09:33 AM

Craig, some facts & figures.

Mine is a 4kWh installation, means simply in perfect conditions it would put out 4Kw every hour for how ever many hours of sunshine, obviously you never expect it to put out anything like that much or on June 21st you'd have around 16 hours of sunshine & 64Kwh. If you have a roof facing South or close to it with approx 35-50 degree angle of pitch, no obstructions for the sunlight & live anywhere in the South of the country you will do better than anyone who isn't in this fortunate position. My installation faces approx SW at around the right angle, but we have some trees that shade the panels a little at certain times, so I'm expecting less than predicted output for my area of the country, but obviously the trees make far less difference when the sun is high in the sky, ie the summer months which is when most of the power is made. The system cost £10,000 to install last November & I think you could probably already save £1000 on that as prices are still dropping, mine wasn't a dead straightforward install, but wasn't horrendously difficult.

According to government figures (note government, NOT eletricity company or solar panel installers figures) my system should pay me back at around £1600pa & rising year on year, including savings made on electricity.

From my own observations of what the system has done so far I will be pretty amazed if it doesn't make me at least £1100 in the first year & save somewhere in the region of £100-200 on the fuel bills to boot.

The tarif works in the following way, you get a set rate (currently 43.3p, but set to rise year on year by inflation related amount) per unit generated which is measured by a meter installed as part of the installation. I think this next bit varies from one electric co. to another, but the way it works for us is that for each unit going back to the grid they pay you a further 3p per unit, now they don't actually measure this! They assume you will use 50% & send 50% back to the grid, so take 50% of that 3p & add it onto the 43.3 p, so you now see you get paid 44.8p per unit AT THE CURRENT RATE, I strongly emphasise this because the base figure (originally 41.3p I think) is linked to inflation & last year went up by nearly 5% (hence the current 43.3p).

So because they asssume I'm sending 50% of my electric back to the grid, the more power I can consume myself whilst the panels are on the better, so dishwasher, washing m/c & tumble dryer will defo be going on during the day rather than overnight on the half price leccy if I'm generating more than a couple of kW per hour (not gonna happen at this time of year!)

So although there are a few variables there, you are getting an absolute minimum of 44.8p per unit & a saving on your electric bill at around 12p per unit for however much power you can "save" (read use!) whilst the panels are generating.

I am expecting to generate at least 2400 kWh in the year so should see a cheque for £1080, say I save a further £120 on leccy that's £1200.

So at year one I already have 12% of my investment back which I can now reinvest or spend as I wish, but I now only owe £8800.

At the end of year 2, lets say we get only a 3% rise in inflation & no increase in electricity bills (yeah, that's likely) & lets say I invest that £1200 & get the dazzling rate of 2.5% after tax, my electricity income is now £1112 for the year plus £120 savings on electric & £30 income from the £1200 investment, so a total of £1262 - my investment has now come down to 7538 - or, to put it another way, I would have 25% (nearly) OF THE INVESTMENT BACK IN JUST 2 YEARS. Now are you starting to see why, if you have money earning bu**er all in an investment account & live anywhere below Yorkshire it really is a no brainer & remember it is only going to get better from thgere on in until well past the point it's paid for - AFTER which, yes there could be some maintenance expenses, but way less than the income.

You're NOT tying money up indefinitely, what you are actually doing is generating an increasing & ongoing income stream which is only EVER going to increase.

Despite the nayayers, you are also getting a benefit on your house price too. Estate agents don't miss a trick, do you seriously think that where you have a property a few years down the line generating an £1800pa income (some are already doing this now - never mind as prices go up) that the estate agent is NOT going to be bludgeoning people over the head with this fact? ...... "just think sir, that's covered 2 months of your mortgage payments already - have a nice little holiday on that couldn't you!" I can already see the agent rubbing his oily little hands together! That is after all around a months salary for a lot of people.

If you look at the above you will see why it went to the high court & why they wanted to reduce the tarifs sooner rather than later. I agree that the further North you are the less you'll get, but even when they halve the tarif it would still make sense down this end of the country.

In your case I think you should be putting that wee burn to work, I reckon you could save some serious leccy there for not a lot of money - a 10kWh wind generator "motor" is less than £400 & any decent size brook should drive that 24/7 surely!!!

Happy generating, Russ

hobbsy - 30/1/12 at 01:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
You're NOT tying money up indefinitely, what you are actually doing is generating an increasing & ongoing income stream which is only EVER going to increase.

I think the point that other posters have tried to make is that once you've committed to ~£10k on panels you really can't access that cash. Any other comparison to conventional savings/investments you can always get the capital back quite easily (delays / penalties aside).

So you can't compare directly the "returns" to a savings account as for example one year into a savings account on my £10k you would get say £500 if a 5% savings account (taxable interest possibly as I'm not sure 5% ISA's are available and neither can you put that much in during 1 year) however you can also lay your hands on the £10k capital. 1 year with £10k on your roof may in fact yield up to a 20% tax free "return" however you really can't lay your hands on the £10k.

That said I went for it on about the 9th of Dec last year anyway as I *know* I'm not selling for a minimum of 4 years and it could easily turn into 6, 7 or 8. They hopefully will have paid for themselves after about 5 or 6 years. Only at that point are you really making a true profit although I agree that they *should* make your house easier to sell / perhaps add some value as long as they haven't made it look really ugly. Mine are mounted on the rear and I personally think they look fine. I think anodised black frames stand out less than the plain aluminium ones.

russbost - 30/1/12 at 06:45 PM

"Any other comparison to conventional savings/investments you can always get the capital back quite easily (delays / penalties aside)."

But you can't just say "delays/penalties aside" - in both instances, you wouldn't agree to tie your capital up for 5 years if you felt you were likely to need it in that time. Your figure of 5% is miles off, if someone can show me where I can make 5% guaranteed for the next 5 years, tax free, I'll believe it, till then it's in cloud cuckoo land. Wherever you tie the money up, whether it's on your roof or in a bank, if you change your mind & want it back then it's going to cost you, the penalties on long term investments are generally pretty severe, whereas in the case of sticking it on your roof, as you now have an income of at least £1200 a year & you need the money back temporarily, then borrow it, you should certainly be able to borrow it at less than 12% pa, so you're STILL, even in this extremely unlikely situation to be better off with the pv panels.

What's more, everyone is saying the money has to be written off - not true, I'd be pretty daft to do it, but I bet I could sell my panels & inverter for about £5k if I went & took it off the roof myself, personally I think I'll leave it there & watch the cheques roll in thanx!

I don't have an axe to grind here, just trying to be a good citizen & offer what I believe to be good advice - that said I am not a financial expert, not a member of the FSA, any suggestion I make should not be taken at face value or with a large pinch of salt & I will not be held liable for anyone choosing to invest money in this fashion!!! Please read the small print below (it is very very small)

hobbsy - 30/1/12 at 07:50 PM

All I'm saying you can't compare them *directly* to traditional investments as they aren't one. Yes you hopefully are getting a payment/benefits back to the tune of 10 to 20% tax free per year but your money is still a lot more tied up than any normal investment.

I'm not saying they are a bad idea as I have gone for them myself!!!

Which supplier are you with? And how did the FIT registration process go? I'm still waiting to hear back from them after the mad rush.

cerbera - 30/1/12 at 08:12 PM

The more I read this post the more I think I should be having this done at my property.

Over the next 10-15 years there is a strong possibility that I will need to have the roof retiled. For those that have had it done / done it themselves, how big a task would it be to remove and reinstall the panels, are we talking £1000's or £100's in terms of labour?

hobbsy - 30/1/12 at 08:18 PM

The whole install took less than half a day and I guess a lot of the complications are more likely to occur inside the house siting the inverter and running the wiring than on the roof.

The panels are 20 to 25Kg each so depending on how many you go for you are looking at putting ~250Kg or more on your roof so you want to be confident the structure is sound. Although obviously the weight is nicely spread out.

cerbera - 3/2/12 at 07:44 PM

Just had someone round for a site survey. This particular company deal in Caymax panels. Does anyone have a website link where the different panels are compared as I have no idea whether the panels being offered are actually any good. I've tried Google but mustn't be asking the correct question.

The blurb that he left says they are A grade panels which would suggest they are good but would like to read some independent reviews of panels before I make a decision.

Any other info of what to look out for or any questions I should be asking when the next company comes?

Thanks in advance.

matty h - 3/2/12 at 08:50 PM

Bloke at work is having panels fitted by this company they are installed and looked after for nothing.
http://ashadegreener.co.uk/
Matty

cerbera - 8/2/12 at 06:48 PM

Of the people who have had the panels fitted for a while, how are the actual results comparing with the figures that were quoted before install?

Less than quoted
On target with quote
More than quoted.

Ta.

Peteff - 8/2/12 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty h
Bloke at work is having panels fitted by this company they are installed and looked after for nothing.
Matty

You only get the cheap leccy off the system though, any FIT profit goes to the company.

JoelP - 8/2/12 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by matty h
Matty

You only get the cheap leccy off the system though, any FIT profit goes to the company.

And if you are out most of the day, its not so easy to use the free stuff.

franky - 8/2/12 at 07:25 PM

unless you've a young family at home

JoelP - 8/2/12 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
unless you've a young family at home

The norm nowadays seems to be both parents out working like slaves... to cover the nursery fees