Board logo

House move/fish tanks
davidinhull - 13/5/12 at 06:16 PM

Hi
Some of you may have seen some random posts from me before about my collection of fish/lizards/snake
Today is my big question-

Has anyone any experience of moving house and moving a 5', 400l fish tank
Including all the live fish?
The removal men are coming to quote next week, but I expect them to say they won't touch the fish
Is this likely? And if so how do I manage such a task?

A bit of a strange request for you all to ponder, but I've seen more awkward questions answered on here!

Thanks in advance
David

Proby - 13/5/12 at 06:34 PM

How far are you moving? As in how far do you need to transport the set up?

davidinhull - 13/5/12 at 06:39 PM

Only about 10 miles fortunatly, but I still see it being a challenge!
I figure I need to take a good amount of the water with me to maintain the health when I get there
along with the fish (a 1' arrowana mainly)

D

gottabedone - 13/5/12 at 06:42 PM

My last removal company took the tank (6x2x2) and the majority of the water but to be honest I didn't want them to take the fish anyway.

Try to borrow some big containers from a local fish shop if you don't have anything big or clean enough.

good luck with it

Steve

davidinhull - 13/5/12 at 06:49 PM

Steve

That sounds promising
If they move the tank and water I am reasonably happy to move the livestock
The new house will have a bigger tank, and I toyed with the idea of buying that to arrive on the same
day as the move but I can see all sorts of logistical problems and me ending up in the new house with fish,
but no tank at all!

D

jacko - 13/5/12 at 07:20 PM

A mate of mine used a [ don't laugh ] wheelie bin to move his fish in are they cold water fish or tropical ?
Jacko

T66 - 13/5/12 at 07:21 PM

I moved a 5ft tank years ago, drained down to about 50% the night before, and slung the water.

On the morning of the move, I drained as much as I thought the fish would be ok with, and dropped the water into a container.

The tank was about the last thing we took, once located in the new house I topped up the tank with the decanted water in the drum.

However we were only moving a few miles.

davidinhull - 13/5/12 at 07:31 PM

Tropical fish
I was actually thinking about using bins for the fish ( not quite wheely bin, but the same principle)

D

T66 - 13/5/12 at 08:23 PM

My mate keeps Koi - when he moved he showed me his babies living in the shed bought for the purpose, at the new house, in a paddling pool with pumps going etc.

sheet of plywood across the inside of the door to stop the pool popping out when you open the door.

They lived in plastic dustbins for the move..

Proby - 13/5/12 at 08:47 PM

Best to totally empty the tank whilst moving it, else there is a good chance it will break.

Get a bucket (35 litre home brew buckets are ideal) and put ALL your filter media (sponges, ceramic media) in it, in used TANK WATER. This will stop the bacteria dying off on the media too quickly, remember, all the good bacteria is in the filter media and attached to the gravel/ornaments and not in the water. If you can keep 25/30% of the original tank water, then top up the new tank once sited with declorinated fresh water, get your filter running ASAP in the new tank.

Fish could easily be put in a big bucket of tank water, they are not going to drop in temp much over that distance.

Mark100 - 13/5/12 at 09:12 PM

i saved all my milk bottles ( big plastic 4 or 6 pints ) for a few weeks then did the big ducket trick for the fish and another for the filters with most of the water going in the milk bottles the tank in its new home will be up and running in no time its a good time to wash the pebbles realy well aswell

RickRick - 14/5/12 at 08:14 AM

i moved a 4ft tank and fish, but nothing like that size in plastic containers, with a bin bag in them, tied up once filled with water to stop it spilling over the sides

jossey - 14/5/12 at 09:48 AM

I moved a same size tank 70 miles. I bought water carriers from the local fish place to carry the water they are like plastic water carriers.

I only took 70% of the water as I can add new water when I get to new house.

Then got the tank empty I put the stones in buckets

The fish was a little harder firstly catching them all lol.

I used a Bucket which I put the heater in and used an inverter in the car. The bucket I had I put clingfilm on top loads of it and the. Stabbed a few holes.

Next I moved the tank to ye new house ASAP.

Got it in place and put the stones and water in and added hot water to get the temp up.

Then stirred loads to get rid of hot heat pockets and then got the filter to clear the water.

Put the fish in and left with light off for a day.

Then topped up to full.

Hopefully that will help.

Don't carry tank with peddles etc in. I've seen them break.

Good luck.

Check the water quality at the new house ph balance etc too

davidinhull - 13/7/12 at 06:13 AM

Well, if any of you who offered advice are interested, (very helpful thanks)
Today is the day!
I'll let you know next week the survival rate!!

D

Andybarbet - 13/7/12 at 12:26 PM

Good luck

davidinhull - 17/7/12 at 08:16 PM

Well, 48 hours later, I have lost a grand total of
NO fish
I think I can now suggest a good way to move tropical fish!

D

contaminated - 17/7/12 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidinhull
Well, 48 hours later, I have lost a grand total of
NO fish
I think I can now suggest a good way to move tropical fish!

D

Well done mate. I'm about to move three juvenile Sp44 Haps into my Mbuna tank. Could be entertaining but at least I only have to travel down the stairs!