Board logo

Double Glazing
Surrey Dave - 10/9/04 at 10:47 PM

I'm getting quotes for new windows ,they vary drastically, anyone got any good recommendations, Coldseal are the cheapest but dont have a good reputation , what do you know????

stephen_gusterson - 10/9/04 at 10:58 PM

why dont they have a good reputation?

The ads we get on the radio around here, with the country yokel chaz and dave type singing is enough to put me off using them.

Ive resisted buying double glazing all my life..... suppose im gonna have to do this some day too.

atb

steve

[Edited on 10/9/04 by stephen_gusterson]

JoelP - 10/9/04 at 11:05 PM

do it yourself! you must be a DIY kind of guy to be here in the first place!

some good link if i can find them. just buy the smallest window and see how you get on. all you have to do is screw the frame in, i think the sill gets cement, a splash of silicone here and there, etc. wee easy and the windows are damn cheap!

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/double_glazing.htm

Hellfire - 10/9/04 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
do it yourself! you must be a DIY kind of guy to be here in the first place!

some good link if i can find them. just buy the smallest window and see how you get on. all you have to do is screw the frame in, i think the sill gets cement, a splash of silicone here and there, etc. wee easy and the windows are damn cheap!

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/double_glazing.htm

Good link Joel - maybe I'll be doing a conservatory next. Don't tell the missus!!!

zilspeed - 11/9/04 at 12:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
I'm getting quotes for new windows ,they vary drastically, anyone got any good recommendations, Coldseal are the cheapest but dont have a good reputation , what do you know????

Unfortunately, I'm at the wrong end of the country to offer contractor advice. On the other hand I have access to a huge database of prices of common property repairs like this and I query it continually -it's all part of my job.
Bargain on an average fitted price with all finishings of 450 quid per window. Allow double this for any large screens. This gives you an idea of what you should expect. Anyone who quotes any more than this is ripping the p*ss.
Much less is also a bit suss.

Mikey G - 11/9/04 at 12:19 AM

Ive been looking at new windows for a few months now, i started getting quotes in March this year, the first being from Coldseal! Treat with caution and NEVER sign a credit agreement unless you read the WHOLE AGREEMENT and understand it fully. They tried to get me to sign to a 10 year deal at their 'one time discount price' it worked out i would have paid more for my windows than the original quote before knocking 50% off
I was also tipped off that they were going out of buisness but heard nothing more on it.
I had another quote with a well advertised company (remaining nameless to protect the guilty) and they quoted over £13k "but today we can do them for £3800" , i kindly asked the guy to leave and give me a genuine quote when he's ready and not another "bargain of the century!"
I have settled on a quote of £3900 with a local firm Heronhurst i only managed to get 20% off so they seemed a lot more genuine
Out of curiosity i just had another quote from an even more local firm and he didnt even show me the window and quoted £4600 "the price you see is the price you pay, no fancy discounts"

Personaly i'de advise you leave the big advertising companies alone and find a local reputable firm, they are more honest and willing to help you , the big ones just go onto the next sucker and forget about you the next day

Mike

theconrodkid - 11/9/04 at 06:36 AM

dave,i know a guy that does it,did mine,ill sort his number for sunday

Surrey Dave - 11/9/04 at 07:52 AM

Yes - I am tempted to fit my own having worked on 'the building' before , but I have some fairly large windows upstairs.

Allegedly - 'Coldseal' where 'Bryco' until late last year , and starred on 'Watchdog' , for numerous complaints.

Ideally I would like a local company who manufacture at thier premises so if their where any probs they could be sorted fast.

I had a quote last night that started at £7900 ,quickly went to £5700 and £3800 !,.

It's a bit of a laugh really, I enjoy all the differnet sales approaches !

Peteff - 11/9/04 at 12:02 PM

I got some free ones for the shed, mismeasured for a local council contract. I worked in reverse as I hadn't built it at the time so I made the holes to fit the windows. Make sure you get them with the glazing secured from inside as they are easily removed from outside with a thin screwdriver otherwise. Hire a tower for the upstairs, if the glass goes in from in the house it is much easier. Hammer fitting frame plugs are the easiest fitting method. Just knock them in to a drilled hole then turn the long screw to secure it.

Mikey G - 11/9/04 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I got some free ones for the shed...

Double glazing for your shed? must be one helluva shed! i have to make do with the perspex one

Mike

andyps - 11/9/04 at 09:10 PM

Did the same as Peteff when we had our garage built, but they were cheap not free.

When we had the house double glazed we got a quote from a company which was good, then before we committed the salesman left and gave us a lower quote from his new company, so we went back to the original and they were not prepared to let their ex salesman get the business so they undercut him. When we paid the fitter he said he was amazed at how low we had got the price. Always worth finding a way to bargain with them. Bought them from Weatherlite 11 years ago and still happy with them - may not be in existence anymore though!

stephen_gusterson - 11/9/04 at 10:29 PM

coldseal have been around several years. thats how long the annoying radio ads have been about...

atb

steve

hortimech - 12/9/04 at 01:26 PM

just slightly off topic, doubleglazing salesmen aren't very observant. We had new windows fitted, two days later door bell rang " would you like a quote for new windows". I just pointed him in the direction of the nearest optician.

Peteff - 12/9/04 at 01:36 PM

The white plastic frames were always touted as maintenance free, but now you can buy paint for them to bring them back to their original appearance. Kind of defeating the object then.

ned - 13/9/04 at 09:13 AM

paint eh? mm, i managed to discolour a couple of windows and cracked the outside glaze of a double glazed window when burning the old kitchen outside, i do love fire, but think i must have got a bit carried away as the heat was something else

Ned.

marktigere1 - 13/9/04 at 09:22 AM

Moved into my new house last year which had a totally shagged Patio door. (Teach me to look at moving in the winter without going through every exterior door!)

New patio doors quoted upwards of £1200 fitted.

Did it myself for £430 with a mates help. Will now do all the windows in the house. Door was from Wicks.

Cheers

Mark

Spyderman - 13/9/04 at 03:52 PM

Don't touch Coldseal!

All you get from them is lies and cons.

We had some windows and a front door from them. The door constantly needs adjusting and they never come back to clean them.

Plus once they have your phone number they will never leave you alone, even after all the abuse I give em, they still ring back trying to sell more.

Terry