Board logo

bsf, whitworth ect bolts
dlatch - 8/9/12 at 08:47 PM

Due to a recent deal i now have a norton WD16H
only problem is i went metric 39 years ago so every bolt but washer i own is of no use on this bike
before i go spending money has anyone out there got a selection of the above types of bolts nut's screws washers ect
as i feel i will need a few to replace any tatty worn screws
my 2 hours spent refitting the dynamo today was very pleasurable until i needed one simple bolt

have a few kit related parts i would be willing to trade
ie: mondeo 1.8 flywheel clutch plate and cover brand new to suit zetec to type 9
Starter motor LRS707 for the above set up
both are un used that i bought for spares but never needed.

and here she is

Description
Description

PS if you have a Amal pre monobloc 1" clamp mount carb laying around i could really use a norton specifc jet block (well you never know)

snapper - 9/9/12 at 07:52 AM

These charts may help
Spanner size1
There are some Metric Imperial cross overs that can work.

Don't forget the USA is still Imperial and a good source of bolts but their version of Imperial is a fraction of a mm smaller

This shows how old my imperial knowledge is, the inch was standardised at 25.4mm exactly in 1959!! For the UK, USA & Canada

[Edited on 9/9/12 by snapper]

liam.mccaffrey - 9/9/12 at 09:02 AM

I appreciate you are looking for swaps but the classic British bike scene is so well supported, there are half a dozen companies out there that will supply all and every nut bolt screw washer.... in stainless, ti, hex, socket head, cheese head whatever

You probably already know this but buy a copy of classic bike or old motorcycle news and look at the ads in the back. You have nothing to worry about and prices are pretty good.

[Edited on 9/9/12 by liam.mccaffrey]

dlatch - 9/9/12 at 09:44 AM

my main problem is identifying the bolt or nut that needs replacing in the first place.
the norton uses 3 different types of thread

whitworth
BSF
cycle

been looking for a assorted bolt set or something similar but they cost £30 upwards
it is just annoying not having something as simple as a nut.

i know it was a long shot but you never know on here

renetom - 9/9/12 at 04:42 PM

Hi
It's a shame you are so far away
I have a huge tin full of old nuts & bolts & a medium sized one
There is BSW BSF UNC uNF BA etc etc it came from my fathers garage which he gave to me , he used to tinker with traction engines car & bikes.
I then had a garage in the late 60's to mid 70's dismantled cars bikes every nut & bolt went into the tin
If you're really stuck your welcome to have a rummage , they are all old. so don't expect any new ones.
They would need to be cleaned & painted.
As for identification there are thread gauges which are like feeler gauges with teeth.
They are fairly cheap & work well for identification,
Good luck
René