Board logo

Central heating oil leak!
BigFaceDave - 20/1/13 at 01:48 PM

Afternoon all,

Im looking for a bit of help from the LCB Collective again! I have a strong smell of Kerosene in the house this morning, on closer inspection I have taken the front cover of the boiler and the flexi feed pipe has started leaking where its crimped. Basically its dipping about once a second while the boiler isnt running but when it kicks in the leak stops, Is there anything that anyone knows of that will seal the leak as a temporary fix while I try to source another hose? Also is there a clever way of stopping the oil from flowing if I remove the hose? All help greatly appreciated!

rusty nuts - 20/1/13 at 01:52 PM

Are you able to turn off the fuel supply at the storage tank outlet while repairing the leak?? You will lose a small amount of fuel in the pipe

BigFaceDave - 20/1/13 at 02:00 PM

Ive got this

I had trouble a couple of days ago where the line froze up! and the knob on the front wouldnt turn at all but a short gentle burst with a hot air gun sorted that but didnt think to try it again as I had covered it all up with lagging. I just tried again and now it will turn but im a bit scared of making things worse! Will that knob on the front turn the supply off so I can get another flexi made up?

Thanks for the quick reply!

owelly - 20/1/13 at 02:08 PM

Try Denso tape as a temp fix or more readily available on a Sunday afternoon, self amalgamating tape.

snakebelly - 20/1/13 at 02:36 PM

Halfrauds should have it on the shelf

BigFaceDave - 20/1/13 at 02:53 PM

Well I took the plunge and fiddled with the knob thingie (very technical) and managed to turn the oil off and have removed the offending pipe! So I will try to get hold of another one tomorrow, Is it likely to be a fairly common size/ hose or will I need to get one custom made? I wouldnt have thought anywhere that is open today would have one on the shelf? The nearest B&Q is about 15 miles away but would they be likely to have one?

MakeEverything - 20/1/13 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BigFaceDave
Well I took the plunge and fiddled with the knob thingie (very technical) and managed to turn the oil off and have removed the offending pipe! So I will try to get hold of another one tomorrow, Is it likely to be a fairly common size/ hose or will I need to get one custom made? I wouldnt have thought anywhere that is open today would have one on the shelf? The nearest B&Q is about 15 miles away but would they be likely to have one?

So no hot water or heating until then?? I would have left it until the morning.

BigFaceDave - 20/1/13 at 05:22 PM

The problem is its in a outhouse which is used for storage and its rather tricky to get to (got to empty the outhouse to get to it properly and the snow was just starting again) I have the water on a immersion heater in the tank as well and have a fireplace in the sitting room so its not as bad as it could be plus I have to leave for work at 5.30ish tomorrow morning and knew I would neevr get up in time to take it off then!

dmac - 20/1/13 at 05:39 PM

We used to have oil central heating and the flexible pipe was a regular failure. I don't think B&Q sell them, I used to get them from the Plumb Centre.

Duncan

les g - 20/1/13 at 05:45 PM

now you have the pipe off cut off the crimp saw/slitting disc now pull off flexi hose tape around flexi hose 3/4 inch from end and cut 3/4 inch of hose off push hose back onto pipetail and secure with a jubilee clip as a temp repair.
worked for me ...
cheers les g