Board logo

Saddo me, corro n phone boxes.
Jon Ison - 11/2/13 at 08:03 PM

Just watching corro with swimbo noticed fizz in a phone box, got me to thinking, I wouldn't know ifnor where one was in our village, don't think we have one anymore, sign of the times I guess.

NigeEss - 11/2/13 at 08:48 PM

Old proper red ones ?

I think there's still one in our village, must drive past to check.

nick205 - 11/2/13 at 09:17 PM

There's one down the way from us, but I've never seen anyone in it...not even sure it's still functional.

My Mum always wanted one for her garden for some reason

davidinhull - 11/2/13 at 09:17 PM

Round our way they're all white!

BigFaceDave - 11/2/13 at 09:34 PM

There is still a proper old red one down the road from me but the phone doesnt work anymore, Instead its a book club! Take a book and drop it back when your done! was a art exhibition for a while too! I would have offered some of my books but I dont think they wanted Autotrader or the hungry catapillar!

steve m - 11/2/13 at 09:37 PM

How weird, as i dont actually remember when i last saw one,

Not for a looong time

BenB - 11/2/13 at 09:58 PM

We live a poncy conservation area so all ours are the old red ones.

BenB - 11/2/13 at 09:59 PM

My dad informs me that the coronation street buildings are all wrong because they're built out of a style of brick laying that wasn't used when they were supposed to have been built

Ninehigh - 11/2/13 at 10:29 PM

There's one still outside where Mr Smith's was in Warrington, although it probably had the phone ripped out circa 1994

bi22le - 11/2/13 at 10:46 PM

all been robbed or brought to rust in middle class front gardens no doubt.

i dont think the council would be proactive enough to go round and collect them!

morcus - 11/2/13 at 11:17 PM

Theres still a few about, but not enough. You can never find a pay phone when you need one these days. I went to the new Services on the M20 (By Accident, a long story) and they had none at all.

Ashford had a fair few of the old red ones about when I left.

steve m - 11/2/13 at 11:45 PM

The next question, is when did any of us use a "pay phone"

I can honestly say, not for 20 years plus!!!

coyoteboy - 12/2/13 at 01:07 AM

The brick style comment is interesting. The set is meant to be buildings from 1902 apparently, this is the style of brickwork:

It seems to be a single-skin style wall used mainly when tied to an internal wall or other structure, suggesting more modern build. Is that the point?

I believe BT are forced to maintain a set number of pay phones in the UK despite them being massively loss-generating.

[Edited on 12/2/13 by coyoteboy]

jossey - 12/2/13 at 12:34 PM

Radio 2 mentioned a few years ago that the phone boxes take under 10k in cash per year

60,000 phone boxes
That's £6 per year per box lol

2p a day lol

[Edited on 12/2/13 by jossey]

James - 12/2/13 at 01:46 PM

One in my village is used as a local museum/exhibition centre!

They had it refurbished recently so it looks all red and shiny!

BenB - 12/2/13 at 02:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
The brick style comment is interesting. The set is meant to be buildings from 1902 apparently, this is the style of brickwork:

It seems to be a single-skin style wall used mainly when tied to an internal wall or other structure, suggesting more modern build. Is that the point?

I believe BT are forced to maintain a set number of pay phones in the UK despite them being massively loss-generating.

[Edited on 12/2/13 by coyoteboy]

Yes, that's the point. They've built the set from stretcher bond which is only used for cavity wall buildings. Very unlikely on a basic edwardian terrace which is almost certain to be English bond.

theduck - 12/2/13 at 02:50 PM

I'm stood by 4 right now.

morcus - 12/2/13 at 03:36 PM

Last time I wanted one was november when I had to walk 3 miles in the rain at 11pm to the next town from where the car was to find my dad, two villages with no payphones at all.

Last time I actually used one was to get a taxi in september.

If you carry a mobile around, you can be tracked at all times, and anyone with access to the info can see how fast your going, where you were and when. I own a mobile but I don't like talking on the phone at all so I'm not having a contract, I put about £20 a year on my phone and in calls that gets you about an hour on my phone, also I'm not allowed a camera at work.

MikeRJ - 12/2/13 at 03:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Glad you posted that, I didn't have a clue what corro meant, and still don't know what/who "fizz" is!