Board logo

Current building regulations (house)
andrew-theasby - 31/3/13 at 07:42 PM

Does anybody know for definite whether under the current building regs there are any circumstances in which you can have a toilet in a bathroom off a kitchen without 2 doors separating them ie with an extractor fan fitted or something like that? And is there anywhere I can find a summary of the regs?

zilspeed - 31/3/13 at 07:50 PM

In Scotland, you no longer need an IVS and the domestic regs are quite specific in that all you need is one door separating a room containing a WC from a kitchen.

Section 3.12.1

"There should be a door separating a space containing a WC, or waterless
closet, from a room or space used for the preparation or consumption of food,
such as a kitchen or dining room."

None of this information is any use to you. You don't live in Scotland.

HTH

loggyboy - 31/3/13 at 07:55 PM

Providing you have a sink in the wc you only need 1 door.

Krismc - 31/3/13 at 08:09 PM

I have a new build with a toilet of the kitchen, its got a small sink and extractor.

watsonpj - 31/3/13 at 08:51 PM

The scottish rule seems sensible can i get independence from england as well. What good is a rule that says sink to wash your hands 1 door, no sink 2 doors. How the f4£& does a second door wash you hands.
Having recently had an extension even the building regs guy thought it was rules gone made.
The best one is A rated windows which must be fitted with trickle vents which defeat the object of A rating.
Sorry rant over

Pete

JoelP - 31/3/13 at 09:20 PM

I'm sure I read recently that that requirement had been scraped. Can't prove it though.

andrew-theasby - 31/3/13 at 09:39 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm in england btw. I hope it is correct I'm just designing a floor plan for our new house and struggling to fit things in how I want if I need 2 doors. Any more info welcomed

loggyboy - 31/3/13 at 10:15 PM

Read paragraph 4.10 of part G, its quite clear. Free download from www.planningportal.gov.uk.

morcus - 31/3/13 at 10:23 PM

My last house had an open plan living room, dining room Kitchen, as a result the downstairs toilet had a small 'room' just big enough to open the door into infront of it, is something like that not possible? It all seems like madness to me, I'd have a urinal in my kitchen if I could (Or had a kitchen), it;s got to be better than using the sink...

SteveWalker - 31/3/13 at 10:29 PM

The relevant info is:

Section 4.10 of Part G of the building regs. contains the following note: "In dwellings, a room containing both a sanitary convenience and a basin for hand washing does not need a separation lobby between this room and a kitchen or food preparation area."

loggyboy - 31/3/13 at 10:38 PM

Funny i'm sure I said that a few hours ago.

andrew-theasby - 31/3/13 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
The relevant info is:

Section 4.10 of Part G of the building regs. contains the following note: "In dwellings, a room containing both a sanitary convenience and a basin for hand washing does not need a separation lobby between this room and a kitchen or food preparation area."

Brilliant thank you, I just hadn't got far enough in.

While we are on the subject then, and probably before I can find it, is there any reason my stairs can't come down into the kitchen? Possibly fire regs?

andrew-theasby - 31/3/13 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

I was just working my way through section 3.12..

loggyboy - 31/3/13 at 11:44 PM

Send me your plans and il look them over.
Info at dg-architectural.co.uk

[Edited on 31-3-13 by loggyboy]

andrew-theasby - 31/3/13 at 11:47 PM

Thanks for the offer, ill just have to scan them in as there pencil drawings on a3 at the mo

SteveWalker - 1/4/13 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

You did. As it happens, I'd missed your reply when I typed mine and when I realised, I thought there was no point removing mine, as I'd actually quoted the section, saving the OP from looking it up.