Board logo

Road Gritters out already
andylancaster3000 - 4/10/04 at 06:51 PM

It looks as though anyone that uses a locost on the road may have to bring it in for the winter a little earlier then first planned...

Watching my regional news earlier, I was shocked to hear that they are already 'testing' the salt/gritters.
Even thought there is no ice or snow due for a while yet. Do they really need testing and if so, why so early!!!

Just thought I would warn people who don't fancy the idea their cars rotting away with the salt!

Andy

Peteff - 4/10/04 at 07:10 PM

They're not actually doing any gritting, just driving them to make sure they run before they are needed.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=9211

JoelP - 4/10/04 at 07:16 PM

up here in leeds, they use the gritters all year. When not gritting they replace the grit hopper with open truck backs, and use them for regular road maintainance.

type 907 - 4/10/04 at 08:12 PM

Regular road maintainance???????

Could you explane to us Suffolk lads Joel, what that is.

Paul G

JoelP - 4/10/04 at 10:32 PM

you know, where they spray paint round pot holes in the hope aliens will fill them in...

type 907 - 4/10/04 at 11:27 PM

Thanks Joel

theconrodkid - 5/10/04 at 06:33 AM

round my way a few years ago came the first snow n ice some clown discovered none of the gritters were taxed/plated so a bit late getting them on the road,like early spring?,last year a water main went outside their base in the night,roundabout at junction 3 of the M4,they were all stuck inside/drivers stuck outside,nothing moved till well into the afternoon

James - 5/10/04 at 11:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
<snip>
I was shocked to hear that they are already 'testing' the salt/gritters.
Even thought there is no ice or snow due for a while yet. Do they really need testing and if so, why so early!!!
<snip>

If you remember last year when there was a cold snap and loads of snow and the machines weren't ready there was loads of trouble. Peoples cars stuck on motorway etc. etc. Dearest Alistair Darling transport minister gave the unprepared councils and good kicking. Result of which is they're gonna be a damn site more careful this year.... when it probably won't snow!

James

Alan B - 5/10/04 at 02:23 PM

WTF is a road gritter?

Yeah, yeah I know....something we don't need where the f*****g hurricanes blow....

Mark Allanson - 5/10/04 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
WTF is a road gritter?

Yeah, yeah I know....something we don't need where the f*****g hurricanes blow....

I saw one down here once, I think it was 1996 - Oh, and we don't get may hurricanes