Board logo

floor self leveling compound
number-1 - 27/9/24 at 04:54 PM

Evening All

I am going to use self leveling compound on a timber (woodchip i think) floor and am using a fairly decent primer. Its Bostik Cempolay universal primer. Does anyone know if i can prime the floor tonight and then lay the self leveling compound tomorrow afternoon? Or do i need to prime, wait an hour or two till its tacky and then lay the self leveling?

Thanks

N1

JoelP - 27/9/24 at 06:56 PM

It's fine with the primer dry. However, personally I'd not put self levelling straight on to chipboard. I'd add a layer of 6mm ply or artificial equivalent, to protect the chipboard.

Remember, it's actually self smoothing, not self levelling. You still need to move it roughly right. A spiked roller help move it and get rid of bubbles.

What are you putting over it?

number-1 - 27/9/24 at 07:41 PM

Hi mate

The self leveling is going on to chipboard that has had tiles on top which were straight onto the chipboard (or whatever was used in 1980)

The adhesive is hard to remove and needs self leveling to get a decent base to hardboard and then lay a decent vinyl floor. I know pictures would be better than words but i cant remember howto post them lol

JoelP - 28/9/24 at 05:23 PM

No worries, if the chipboard is already ruined you've got nothing to loose by screeding it, so all good!

number-1 - 1/10/24 at 07:12 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

I self leveled it at the weekend and went pretty well. No cracks yet despite me building a new kitchen on it so hopefully it stays that way