Board logo

New shop
chunkielad - 7/3/05 at 07:43 PM

Just about to send the money for my new shop deposit and I get a phonecall...

'Mr Nicholson, the shop you looked at last year has just come free again and the rent has dropped are you interested?'

I now have 13ftX20ft for £50/wk or about 15ftX30ft for £65week
Will cost me £100/mnth more for the bigger one incl rates and rent but I'm lost as to which one I want!!

Both on main roads, bigger one has shutters, smaller one has better parking. Big one on busy Junction, small one more trade on foot.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hate making decisions

Hellfire - 7/3/05 at 07:46 PM

But what's it going to be for? Could be crucial to your choice...

chunkielad - 7/3/05 at 07:52 PM

The sign business and also promotional items such as TShirts, mugs etc...And copying (colour and B&W photocopies)

theconrodkid - 7/3/05 at 07:55 PM

T shirts eh?

big_wasa - 7/3/05 at 08:42 PM

The shop with the best footfall every time

chunkielad - 7/3/05 at 08:51 PM

Passing trade walking or driving? I am unable to know footfall as one has been shut for a while and the other was mobiles so never did any trade

bob - 7/3/05 at 09:04 PM

small one,parking and passing/walking trade with less layout.

and a good deal on our T-shirts please,where's chrisW when you need him

colibriman - 7/3/05 at 09:46 PM

deffo go for the one with better parking - nothing more infuriating and offputting than not being able to stop and parkup quickly.

Good luck whichever one you choose...

Colin

ReMan - 7/3/05 at 10:44 PM

Its 50/50 for me.
Signs might not need the walk by, (unless you mean the vinyl cut banner/graphics stuff) mugs tees and copying may well.
Probably depends on the current state of play, ie if youve already got a clientelle for one or `tother.,or where you need the quickest growth.
Also don`t forget that a lot of casual walk in colour coying of an odd photo etc is on the decline.
Good luck anyway.
PS wanna buy a copier?

Chris_R - 7/3/05 at 11:24 PM

I'm in signs too, we're in a workshop unit on a very large industrial estate. Business is good and we don't get any walk in trade.

chunkielad - 7/3/05 at 11:48 PM

Just got a Ricoh copier but if it's a good deal..

I know a lot of signies who are off the beaten track but it cost a lot to get the client base built up.

robinbastd - 8/3/05 at 09:59 PM

The 3 P's of modern day business :
Parking,parking,parking.
Trust me I'm a shopkeeper with parking for about 12/15 cars (and sometimes that's not enough)
Ian

mandy69 - 8/3/05 at 10:16 PM

arkwright shall be thine new name

chunkielad - 8/3/05 at 10:20 PM

G g g g ranville... fetch that cloth

[Edited on 8/3/05 by chunkielad]