Board logo

mig help please
doughie - 22/5/06 at 05:16 PM

can anyone advise why sometimes my weld arc pops and weld penetration into both pieces of metal doent occur?

DIY Si - 22/5/06 at 05:25 PM

Gas, power too low? What are you welding and what with?

doughie - 22/5/06 at 05:42 PM

ta diy si

mild steel, no change of material but sometimes the welds neat and sometimes it pops like corn??

have tried cleaning welded surfaces but seems random??

using a sip (or other generic version) 170 gas mig

DIY Si - 22/5/06 at 05:44 PM

Is the wire feed set up correctly? Does your welder have an adjustable rooler? If so, is it tightened far enough to always push wire?
Also., any pics of said welds? Good and bad that is.

[Edited on 22/5/06 by DIY Si]

emsfactory - 22/5/06 at 05:59 PM

Wrong polarity?

DIY Si - 22/5/06 at 06:09 PM

Didn't think that was possable with most migs?

iank - 22/5/06 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Didn't think that was possable with most migs?

It is with gas-less MIGs that can be converted to gas. But this one sounds like a gas only model.

DIY Si - 22/5/06 at 06:21 PM

Ah, fair point forgot about the gasless mig stuff, since I don't know anyone who actually uses it. Even so, surely not a problem in this case due to the intermittent bit?

doughie - 22/5/06 at 06:35 PM

cheers everyone

could be the wire feed? will tighten it a bit to see?

am getting better at miggin
about 75% look good to me and the others a mix between my inexperience and some problems with this poppin thing???

havent got a clue about the polarity but am using gas

pucksaver - 22/5/06 at 07:30 PM

If the surface of the metal isnt completely clean you will get popping as the arc skips around the dirty area.

rusty nuts - 22/5/06 at 07:36 PM

Check your wire for rust, would cause feed and weld problems . Common on reels that have been store a while.

mark chandler - 22/5/06 at 09:30 PM

On my cheap jobby I invested in a quality earth lead and clamp, made a dramatic difference for a couple of quid to the tool, the cheap croc clips and skinny wire drop loads of power.

You could also check out the liner and as above the reel of wire for rust as this really screws things up.

When welding do not wave the wand with only one hand, use your free hand to support your welding hands wrist.

Try spraying the work with anti splatter , a few small changes can make quite a difference.

Rgds Mark

[Edited on 22/5/06 by mark chandler]

DIY Si - 22/5/06 at 09:36 PM

In addition to the aboce, only use a head mounted mask/shield. The silly hand held plastic things ou get aren't very good, and when starting having two hands on the gun helps no end. I started off with one hand and got it right half the time. Now I use a proper mask and changed to 0.8mm wire and I get it right nearly all the time. I only got the new mask a month ago too.

doughie - 22/5/06 at 09:47 PM

cheers guys - will check tension/ earth lead and keep tryin