Board logo

Any BT Employees or anyone know what this is?
Avoneer - 25/7/06 at 10:10 PM

Two cable comes from the telegraph pole to a peg on my house.

One goes into the small grey box you can see. Another wire comes out of this grey box to the front room.

The other cable from the telegraph pole goes straight into the upper bedroom.

The problem is the builder has just chopped them off inside the house and plastered up the holes.

Good new is that I'm going on cable anyway.

How do I get these removed or can I just cut them and leave them tied round the peg?
Cheers,

Pat...

stevec - 25/7/06 at 11:42 PM

I know someone, not me honest.
Who just cut them chased after them up to the tellegraph pole and cut them again as high as possible, that was after many attempts to get BT to remove them. Make sure you let go of your snippers as you cut or the jerk coud upset you off your ladder so i have been told.

Hellfire - 26/7/06 at 07:02 AM

Pat,
It's a two supply phone line. I have exactly the same. I have two lines to my house one business and one private.
Steve

indykid - 26/7/06 at 03:43 PM

the aviation snips are well insulated aren't they?

just the dilemma, red, yellow or green handles?

tom

wilkingj - 27/7/06 at 10:06 PM

The junction Box, MAY be due to the overhead section going faulty at some time in the past. The Wires are copper coated steel. The wind whips the wire and the coating cracks and / or the plastic cracks and the water gets in causing a noisy line.

So linemen will cut away the overhead section and replace it, but they join at the gutter level to save cabling all the way down into the house.
Seen it Hundreds on times.

Two feeds means probably two lines, whether both are connected and working ... well you tell me!.
Been on BT 37 Years.. and off the Tools for a long while!!

andrew.carwithen - 28/7/06 at 06:49 PM

Pat,
Have worked as a BT engineer on the overhead network inc. poling and cabling etc. for several years now.
From your description and photo it looks like you have two seperate phone lines (dropwires) coming to your house from the pole.
The grey connection point (BT66) is as stated in previous posts, a means of renewing the length of dropwire to your house without having to run it all the way inside (may have been problem with access in the past?)
Have you tried phoning BT customer service (151) to get the lines removed? (you may well be charged for this)
I don't recommend cutting down the wires yourself as you could potentially end up injuring or killing someone!
Sounds extreme, I know, but there are several potential hazards which an untrained member of public may not appreciate.
E.G. Is the pole situated the same side of the road as your house? If its on the opposite side and you cut the wires they could whiplash across the road (remember, they are under tension) into the path of traffic, pedestrians etc.
Does the pole have a red 'D' on it?
If so, it means it is defective due to internal rot, shallow depth etc, and could potentially snap if the loading on it is suddenly changed in any way.
DON'T climb the pole in any circumstances (it is the property of BT and could make you liable for prosecution.)
There is no risk of electrocution by cutting the wires as they only carry a DC voltage of between 50V and 100V or so. However, the wires are the property of BT and shouldn't be tampered with.
If you don't get much satisfaction when contacting BT, then suggest that the wires look in imminent danger of coming away from the wall fixing. BT will respond quickly if they think there is a safety issue involved. (But I didn't tell you that!)

HTH,
Andy.

Avoneer - 1/8/06 at 11:20 AM

Cheers Andy.

I was only going to chop them on my side of the peg and then wrap the excess around the peg so they would still be connected between the pole and peg.

I could also blame it all on the builder!

Pat...

David Jenkins - 1/8/06 at 12:19 PM

Note that the wire may also be very hard (i.e. not plain copper) - unless they've changed it since I last put them up!

Used to require a tough pair of cutters, IIRC.

David

andrew.carwithen - 1/8/06 at 03:55 PM

Pat,
Oh...I see!
That should be fine. Just make sure that there is a clamp attaching the wire from the pole to the wall bracket (its about a foot long and is like a thick curly wire wrapped around the telephone wire.)

Andy.

quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Cheers Andy.

I was only going to chop them on my side of the peg and then wrap the excess around the peg so they would still be connected between the pole and peg.

I could also blame it all on the builder!

Pat...