Board logo

broken MGB
Donuts - 11/8/06 at 12:43 PM

my wife has an MGB gt and when I was driving it this afternoon (quite high revs) I heard a big pop, lost loads of power, then it seemed to be ok.
I was only 2 mins from mother in laws house so drove it there.............

when I opened bonnet there is a hole in the block!!!

It looks as though there was a sight glass or something there. anyone any idea's?

The hole is in what lookes like a man made circlular depression on the dipstick side in the middle.

I want to know if this depression is a sight hole that can be replaced or is it a new block job or what?

fesycresy - 11/8/06 at 12:48 PM

Sounds like a core plug.

02GF74 - 11/8/06 at 01:33 PM

is it a pre-69 engine, 3- bearing? The old engines had a small TV fitted tuned into BBC1 so you could watch it should you ever run out of petrol.

or maybe like ^^^^ siad, a core plug.

mookaloid - 11/8/06 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
is it a pre-69 engine, 3- bearing? The old engines had a small TV fitted tuned into BBC1 so you could watch it should you ever run out of petrol.

or maybe like ^^^^ siad, a core plug.

DarrenW - 11/8/06 at 02:21 PM

How would a popped core plug cause loss of power? Just curious.

Its interesting that you say it lost lots of Power but was then Ok.

mookaloid - 11/8/06 at 02:32 PM

It sounds like one of his core plugs is holed. When all the water came out I bet if he'd looked in his mirror there would have been loads of steam coming out. This would on a motor of that age have caused some temporary misfiring due to the damp on the HT leads and dizzy I suspect.

I hope he doesn't drive it any further!

Peteff - 11/8/06 at 03:09 PM

Buy a core plug of the correct size, clean round the hole with some wet and dry, I use some permanent gasket seal like red foliac on it then knock the new plug in with a drift till it sits level with the block. The last plug I bought was 35p.

Donuts - 11/8/06 at 07:01 PM

thanks for all the help, a new core plug is on its way and will be fixed by the end on the weekend

cheers