Board logo

FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Paul (Notts) - 31/12/06 at 06:53 PM

AS there will soon be petrol in the car

What size type of fire extinguisher should I get for the garage?

Paul

macnab - 31/12/06 at 07:04 PM

one off these should do... Rescued attachment Engine---3.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine---3.jpg

macnab - 31/12/06 at 07:07 PM

seriously though I have a 1kg foam one fixed to the car, how nearer the blaze could it be?!?

BenB - 31/12/06 at 07:25 PM

I have a portable powder extinguisher designed for kitchens which although not mahusive does have the advantage that it can be moved around the garage so its always near where I am when I'm doing welding, grinding etc!!! Sods law and all meaning that otherwise the extinguisher will be on the opposite side of the room as the fire.... I also take it with me on blats in case anything goes off (literally!) though I recognize it probably wouldn't cope if the main fuel line ruptured...
It also has the advantage of being cheap as chips- some of the plumbed in extinguisher systems are decidedly unlocost!!!!

[Edited on 31/12/06 by BenB]

macnab - 31/12/06 at 07:52 PM

I have to say those plumbed system's seem to be the biggest rip off ever. I mean its a bit if plastic pipe on a fire extinguisher. What's so amazing about that???!! how can it cost so much?

theconrodkid - 31/12/06 at 08:17 PM

lidl do some cheap/big ones,ive one in the car,one on my welder and one nailed to the garage door,about 3 indoors and one in my tin top

budge - 31/12/06 at 08:18 PM

From experience when I accidently set fire to my Golf Gti, I used 4 * 1.5kg extingishers. long story involving a digifant problem. a Genuine Bosch digifant manual (from which Bosch missed a very important line about disconnecting your king lead !) and high pressure fuel. It took months to clean my drive of white powder, and now 2 years later white powder still appears in the engine bay.!

rusty nuts - 31/12/06 at 08:38 PM

Put the car outside before you try to start it ! at least if it goes up it won't take tha garage with it . Make sure it's not a liquid type extinguisher , petrol floats on water . Fire blanket, sand etc work well . You won't need any of it .