Board logo

Personal email from Tony Blair!
Humbug - 21/2/07 at 07:25 AM

Yes, to me! in response to me being one of the petition signers. No doubt many of you will also be receiving the email, but here's the bit I ilke best:

"As my response makes clear, this is not about imposing "stealth taxes" or introducing "Big Brother" surveillance."

Of course not... at the moment, but once the technology is made mandatory, then how easy would it be for a change in government policy and oh yes, purely coincidentally, they decide that they could use it for other purposes?

ned - 21/2/07 at 07:32 AM

heard about this on the radio on the way in to work this morning, wondered how many of you would have the email..

flak monkey - 21/2/07 at 07:44 AM

I got it too. I feel so speacial

ch1ll1 - 21/2/07 at 07:59 AM

And me too

Macbeast - 21/2/07 at 08:02 AM

Well, that's ok then. I'm totally reassured.

"Pricing is not being forced on any area, but any schemes would teach us more about how road pricing would work..."

Already, Government money for transport improvements is being restricted to councils that are introducing some form of road pricing such as congestion charging.

"Existing technologies, such as mobile phones and pay-as-you-drive insurance schemes, may well be able to play a role here, by ensuring that the Government doesn't hold information about where vehicles have been. "

So the Government won't hold information about where you have been - commercial companies will do it for them.
Any bets on whether the Government will have access to that information ?

There was a discussion on Radio 4 yesterday about whether the Police would be able to access the fingerprints held in the national identity card register. The Government Minister's answer to that was no, of course not, the information would be held by the Identity and Passport Office - when pressed, she said oh yes, the police would be able to request the fingerprint data.

Two-faced, power-mad, all of them.

(edited to remove the word "liars" )

[Edited on 21/2/07 by Macbeast]

NS Dev - 21/2/07 at 08:09 AM

simple enough, vote the tossers out next time!

I certainly will not be voting labour, had enough of the meddling twats.

3GEComponents - 21/2/07 at 08:12 AM

I did, still can't work out how you can come to power when only about 30% of the country vote for you!

Macbeast - 21/2/07 at 08:26 AM

Can we report Tony Blair for spamming ?

macnab - 21/2/07 at 08:38 AM

That e-mail would have cost the country millions in lost business time, worst spam incident in Britain.

ditchlewis - 21/2/07 at 08:47 AM

Why oh Why do the government not face the truth that the car is here to STAY and people will never give up there personal space to travel on public transport.....

they should plan and build roads to cater for the increases.

they could encourage flexi time at work, working from home a couple of days a week, and MAKE car manufacturers to make eco friendly cars for us to buy.

I wonder what the performance would be with ethonol in the tank

Rant Over

Ditch

Agriv8 - 21/2/07 at 09:48 AM

quote:

I wonder what the performance would be with ethonol in the tank

Quite Good I belive Dave Walker ethonoling a porker in PPC - not hadd the BHp - next months issue .

Plan to do the same when I gat my MNR when aftermarket ecu hooked up ( and you can buy in Up north - think it equates to arround 102 to 104 ron but could be wrong.

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 21/2/07 by Agriv8]

woodster - 21/2/07 at 10:20 AM

Tony b liar worst PM EVER

mookaloid - 21/2/07 at 10:49 AM

I got mine

Hammerhead - 21/2/07 at 11:15 AM

they charge us by the mile already, fuel duty!

They just see the car as a huge revenue making beast.
Someone should work out how much revenue is generated in a cars average lifetime (10 years?). So there would be the VAT when new (whats the average car price?) multiply by 12k miles per year and fuel duty on that.
Then road tax, etc etc. then multiply by how many cars on the road. Ohh yeah and average speed camera fines per vehicle.

It would be very interesting to discover a good estimation for total revenue per car, and campare it to spend on roads over the same period.

bobrailings - 21/2/07 at 11:42 AM

'Of course it would be ten years or more before any national scheme was technologically, never mind politically, feasible.'

and in 12 years change from miles to kilometres, charge the same pence per kilometre as per mile and the Government gets an immediate 60% increase in revenue.......cant wait

macnab - 21/2/07 at 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by woodster

Yeah I think he's definitely stolen that title now from Thatcher. Should have been sent to the gallows by now, him and head case Bush. That pair seem quite content to send us all into WWIII.

woodster - 21/2/07 at 12:58 PM

Iran next

macnab - 21/2/07 at 01:01 PM

yep, BOOOOOOMM!! Rescued attachment drive home.jpg
Rescued attachment drive home.jpg

JAG - 21/2/07 at 01:27 PM

Well I hope you're all sending him your thoughts by return email, I have

With a bit of luck we'll crash the PM's personal web server and that will get even more News coverage.

Negative publicity is the only thing that will stop this plan or this Government.

coozer - 21/2/07 at 01:42 PM

quote:

Negative, Thatcher was by far the most damaging PM we have had as she started the wholesale dismantling of the community spirit we once had....

All to stop people gathering because sharing talk and opinions are dangerous things...

I look forward to the day she dies a long lingering death...

Jon Ison - 21/2/07 at 02:25 PM

Lets chuck a spanner in............

How do you propose too cut down on congestion ?

macnab - 21/2/07 at 02:52 PM

get Tony Blair to drive a bus, more suited to that.

Macbeast - 21/2/07 at 02:55 PM

The only fair way to reduce congestion is to ration petrol/diesel fuel (with appropriate allowances for people who really need to use personal transport because there isn't any alternative). Any charging scheme hits the poor harder than the rich.

People say that rationing will create a black market but the people who will buy petrol on the black market are the same people who drive without tax and insurance now and who don't pay congestion charges or parking fines so catch them and put them in the crusher with the illegal car.

In reality, the Government would hate to see car usage decline because they would lose all the fuel tax and their answer is to control demand by artificially increasing the price. They know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

zxrlocost - 21/2/07 at 03:11 PM

One thing that I really love is how no one seems to like him yet hes gonna run the full term

Example its a bit like the bloke down the pub whos a tossa and everyone slags him off but as soon as he walks in through the door they crowd round him mothering him asking him how he is etc

ill never understand

Jon Ison - 21/2/07 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by macnab

I don't think 60 million of us will fit on that bus.

It was a serious question, where are all (me included) quick too not want too pay more this, more that, but whats the answer ?

Did anyone see the tonight programme think it was Monday night, 8 out of the 10 where actually better off with the road charging, I'm not a supporter of it btw just asking the question.

How ?

IainB - 21/2/07 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:

It was a serious question, where are all (me included) quick too not want too pay more this, more that, but whats the answer ?

Did anyone see the tonight programme think it was Monday night, 8 out of the 10 where actually better off with the road charging, I'm not a supporter of it btw just asking the question.

How ?

Jon, as I’ve said before I'm likely to be better off with road pricing BUT like many others, I object to being tracked. It IS a good way to overcome congestion and help the environment; however, the public need reassurance their privacy will be protected.

Regards,
Iain

macnab - 21/2/07 at 04:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:

How ?

I would be serious if I thought the government was in the slightest. But as usual it’s all talk with corruption in the background.

Some things never change, especially in politics.

novacaine - 21/2/07 at 04:30 PM

if it does come in how about building the transponder into your garage floor and driving your car tax free?

or perhaps an angle grinding acciedent...

what about the cost of the transponders ? £3500 for the unit £310 for the fitting or something like that, i read that on the sunday times website.

i hate the idea and if it comes in i will be on the first plane out of this country.

how can Blair ignore 1.8m of the 22m motorists?

something was said here about the total revenue the govnment makes off the normal car, the speeding fines? with a GPS tracker the SECOND you stray out of the speedlimit by even the smallest ammount you will get £60 fine and 3 points. That is what bothers me the most. in all honesty, how many times in the past year has everyone strayed even slightly over the speed limit?

like i siad, if it comes in, im out

Matt

Jon Ison - 21/2/07 at 04:36 PM

Lots of politicians on here, How ? Was the question.

Whats a valid alternative ?

If you read what I wrote above I don't profess too be a supporter of the road charging, just asked the question whats the workable alternative that's all.

Tim 45 - 21/2/07 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by novacaine

how can Blair ignore 1.8m of the 22m motorists?

The other 20.2m didnt complain?

JAG - 21/2/07 at 04:47 PM

Tax on fuel is the easiest and most accurate option.

The more you drive/sit in jams the more you pay.

The bigger your vehicle and the worse your fuel consumption the more you pay.

No need for expensive gizmos in your car, no need for a billing system, no major investment.

I think that's the perfect answer and would love to hear a good argument aginst - if there is one.

David Jenkins - 21/2/07 at 05:03 PM

I agree - it's pointless taxing cars by engine size or the amount they pollute per litre of fuel. It is not hard to find large cars that have low emissions but very low mpg - thus giving off far more pollution than more economical cars. One good example is the Ford GT that Jeremy Clarkson had - 4 mpg - but I guess he still paid £170 like everyone else with an engine over 1600cc.

A tax on fuel would be political dynamite just at the moment, but if it was introduced at the same time that road tax was withdrawn then most people would accept it. The only difficulty I can see is that paying the road tax is the only time that insurance and MOT can be checked - but the DVLA seem able to do that on-line these days.

David

iank - 21/2/07 at 05:06 PM

Arguments against (not that I agree with them):

1. Double dip, keep petrol duty AND road charge
2. Police will be able to request records to see who was driving in the area at the time an offence was committed.
3. The company lined up to make the boxes will no doubt be making big contributions to the labour/conservative parties to keep the contract.

Benzine - 21/2/07 at 05:42 PM

ggnore Tony

Tim 45 - 21/2/07 at 05:58 PM

David, new laws on road taxing, your law only applies to cars registered before march 2001. Between then and 23 march 2006 it goes off fuel type and pollution/km. AFTER that it goes off fuel type UNLESS it pollutes MORE than 225g/km of CO2.

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I agree - it's pointless taxing cars by engine size or the amount they pollute per litre of fuel. It is not hard to find large cars that have low emissions but very low mpg - thus giving off far more pollution than more economical cars. One good example is the Ford GT that Jeremy Clarkson had - 4 mpg - but I guess he still paid £170 like everyone else with an engine over 1600cc.

A tax on fuel would be political dynamite just at the moment, but if it was introduced at the same time that road tax was withdrawn then most people would accept it. The only difficulty I can see is that paying the road tax is the only time that insurance and MOT can be checked - but the DVLA seem able to do that on-line these days.

David

smart51 - 21/2/07 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Tax on fuel is the easiest and most accurate option.

The more you drive/sit in jams the more you pay.

The bigger your vehicle and the worse your fuel consumption the more you pay.

No need for expensive gizmos in your car, no need for a billing system, no major investment.

I think that's the perfect answer and would love to hear a good argument aginst - if there is one.

I agree totaly, for limiting pollution. What Blair want's to do with the congestion charge is reduce peak demand on roads bu persuading people to travel away from peak times. Commuters have to travel at peak times but other journeys could be made earlier or later in the day. It might persuade a few more parents to make their kids walk to school.

I don't support the congestion charge though. It won't affect congestion enough but does have lots of flaws, like not charging according to pollution levels, like haveing monsterous overheads and like the breach of civil liberties of having a government run tracking system in your car.

If it will be a minimum of 10 years before it comes in then it will be a story that runs until the government changes its mind. There will be at least 2 elections before then

tom_loughlin - 21/2/07 at 06:38 PM

My Answer to the whole thing - is to simply put more tax on the fuel.
That way, there is no getting round it - scrap road tax, these transponder jobbies... that way, the more people drive, the more they pay.

simple (at least it is in my eyes)

Catpuss - 21/2/07 at 06:42 PM

Couple that with the previous bill that allows changes in law without going through the commons and you can see the slow errosion of rights.

(the tories didn't oppose this as I guess they saw a good thing if they got in power)

JoelP - 21/2/07 at 10:05 PM

clever computer, mine went straight to the junk box!

Ian D - 21/2/07 at 10:48 PM

Im going to get a foreign registered car.

So long as you take it out of the country every 6 months your ok.

Hows he going to deal with foreign cars then!

woodster - 22/2/07 at 10:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

Negative, Thatcher was by far the most damaging PM we have had as she started the wholesale dismantling of the community spirit we once had....

All to stop people gathering because sharing talk and opinions are dangerous things...

You missed my point chuck ... Mr BLIAR is the first labour PM in a very long time what happened to the labour party being for the working man funded partly by the unions ... remember things can only get better playing as he walked down Downing street .. no more torie sleeze.... paying to use the roads is an idea the rich will be happy with not your average man on £250 a week

[Edited on 22/2/07 by woodster]

Benzine - 22/2/07 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

lol k