Board logo

fan switch
ricklawn - 2/5/07 at 07:42 PM

HI guys
To fit a fan override switch, is it best through a relay????
Cheers
Rick

ReMan - 2/5/07 at 07:44 PM

If your fan is powedd by a relay, point the switch at it.
If not, no, just get a heavy enough switch

stevec - 2/5/07 at 07:52 PM

This is how I did mine, Just make sure any wire that you use to the fan is of the correct rating,
Steve.

ricklawn - 2/5/07 at 07:56 PM

sorted
Cheers Steve, you are a gent....

RazMan - 2/5/07 at 08:18 PM

I have never understood the need for an override switch? Surely that's why the rad switch is there. If you think you are running hotter than you should, why not just get a rad switch with a lower temp rating?

BenB - 2/5/07 at 08:32 PM

Supposed to be so you can switch the fan on if you see a traffic jam coming up and preempt the high temps....
Personally I don't see the need.
I do, however, see the advantage (and disadvantage) of having the fan switched using a permanent +Ve so that the fan can continue after you switch off the engine to get rid of engine heatsink.... Then again, flat batteries are a strong possiblity if it goes pete tong!!!

gazza285 - 2/5/07 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I do, however, see the advantage (and disadvantage) of having the fan switched using a permanent +Ve so that the fan can continue after you switch off the engine to get rid of engine heatsink....

That will just give you a cool radiator, the engine will still be hot. If you restart within 5 minutes or so you will then dump cold water into a hot engine, not good. Some cars do have the rad fans permanently connected to the thermoswitch, but I do not know why. A better idea is the Davis-Craig electric water pump, which runs on after to cool the engine, but even then I would not recommend having the fans on as cooling the engine too quickly does it no good.

RazMan - 2/5/07 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
That will just give you a cool radiator, the engine will still be hot. If you restart within 5 minutes or so you will then dump cold water into a hot engine, not good. Some cars do have the rad fans permanently connected to the thermoswitch, but I do not know why. A better idea is the Davis-Craig electric water pump, which runs on after to cool the engine, but even then I would not recommend having the fans on as cooling the engine too quickly does it no good.

Spot on Gazza - I've got the DC water pump and the controller which does as you say. Once again, the fans only kick in when my engine temp rises above 95 degC then switch off when the temp falls to 90 degC. The pump continues until things cool completely (which is quite slow)
My engine is pampered